Prs SE Torero vs. Prs SE c24 floyd

guitarfan85

I'm GASsing for my first Floyd equipped guitar and I most definitely want a PRS since I already own two SE models and love them.

So when I look at most of the descriptions on ebay for the PRS SE, it says it has a PRS designed tremolo?? But then someone said it has a Floyd rose 1000 series.

So both guitars have the Floyd rose 1000 series, correct?

Anyways, while I do like EMGs, I also like the stock SE pickups. I play mostly metal. Cleans are not a priority. Mostly bridge pup chugging and riffing. I like the feel of neck thru guitars, so thats a plus for the Torero. But I don't like blank fretboards, and I really want some birds; so that's a plus for the C24.

I do like the 25.5" better than the 25" scale length though.

I am not sure what color I want either yet. Decisions decisions.

So what are your guys thoughts on both, if you had played both?

are the two floyds in fact the same? Is one easier to setup than the other? Any other things I should consider?

thanks

I had a Torero which was awesome but it was my second floyd and I remembered why I got rid of the first one.
Go core!
I think my Torero had a REAL floyd rose (licensed)

hey thanks for the response. I can't afford core! lol. I really don't want to drop more than $600, but I suppose $800 would be my cutoff point

I've played both. Both were great instruments; when it comes to the type of floyd I must say I didn't really pay attention to them (but I think both are the 1000 series). Aside from the bridge, I will say that the SE Floyd felt like an SE Cu24 with a floyd, same vibe as a regular SE Cu 24 just with a different bridge. The Torero is an entirely different beast in terms of feel. Aside from the longer scale length, it also has a flatter radius and has a different body carve. It really depends on what feels best to you, the Torero felt similar to an LTD H/MH Deluxe or Schecter C-1 or even some Korean/Indo Jackson SLS models. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Torero has a semi-PRS vibe but feels more in line with other metal/hard rock guitars in the price range, the PRS SE Cu24 Floyd feels like a PRS. Again, both were great instruments to play. If I had to choose I'd probably go with the SE24 Floyd because I dig the characteristic PRS design, the Torero is great if you want PRS's take on a modern metal machine though.

PS Don't think the Torero is neck-thru, pretty sure its a set neck like the SE Floyd is. [EDIT: Guess it is neck-thru]

Last edited:
No experience with the SE CU24 Floyd, but I'll echo what Akira just said. Torero is definitely a variant compared to most other PRS. It's moar metl.

I am interested to know if the Torero is set neck or neck through also.

yes most definitely neck through, as I've played a white one at Sam ash last month and it the heel felt so sleek.

I'd love to A/B both, but I don't ever see an SE equipped with a Floyd round these parts. But I do know how the SE c22/24 feels and I love the feel. Also now that I remember the beck and fretboard of the Torero did feel different. The final deciding factor may actually come down to color and finish, lol.

Is there anyone here who plays metal who generally prefer the EMGS over the stock SE pickups? or vice versa?

yes most definitely neck through, as I've played a white one at Sam ash last month and it the heel felt so sleek.

I'd love to A/B both, but I don't ever see an SE equipped with a Floyd round these parts. But I do know how the SE c22/24 feels and I love the feel. Also now that I remember the beck and fretboard of the Torero did feel different. The final deciding factor may actually come down to color and finish, lol.

Is there anyone here who plays metal who generally prefer the EMGS over the stock SE pickups? or vice versa?
Well EMGs are of course popular in the metal scene, especially in genres ending in -core. However, a lot of guys still swear by passive pickups, myself included. I use an S2 Custom 24 with the stock pickups, tuned down to Drop C. If it were me, I would go for the SE24 w/ Floyd and go for aftermarket pickups. They play and feel fantastic, but the SE HFS and VB pickups are a bit lacking to my ears. The best SE pickups that I've heard are the SE245s.

I play hard rock, prog, and metal. I've had EMG's in two of my guitars and ended up getting rid of them. I find them to be way too compressed and one-dimensional for anything other than super aggressive metalcore or thrashy tones. This is not to say that EMG's (81/85) can't do other styles, they can, they just don't have the dynamics and openness (wider frequency spectrum) that most passives have, not to mention, they kind of have a sterile tone. I just find EMG's harder to tone-shape than most other pickups, thus you're more limited. If the stock PRS pickups can't achieve the tone you're after you can easily use an OD or EQ to make them more focused like EMG's. At the end of the day it's all personal preference, I've loved tons of bands that have used EMG's on their records and or live but when I plug into a guitar with EMG's I am just never really happy with them.

Nowadays, a lot of prog/metal/djent/hard rock bands are using passive pickups (fewer seem to be using EMG's or actives in general). Not to say you should follow trends/fads, just that you will more than likely be able to achieve the tone you want with the passives. Plus, the SE HFS/VB pickups are pretty versatile and work well for heavy styles (and if you're not happy with them can swap them for something else, especially if you want really great string clarity like you'd find in most BKP's or whatever).

Back