PRS SE SVN - Upgraded to be Holcomb-esque

c340

I bought this 2019 SE SVN second-hand around late 2019. Periphery's Its Only Smiles inspired me to pick up a 7 string. Knowing how solid the SE is, I found this one, which has a particularly nice top.

I immediately tossed the zebra SE pickups and bought SD Alpha and Omega pickups. I was turned off by the Holcomb 7 string model due to the brisket burst and neck binding, but I wanted similar tones, so I threw in his pickups. I also swapped the SE knobs for clear lampshades. I also created my own truss rod cover out of flame maple. I played it this way for a couple years.

Today I carried out the next round of upgrades: SE locking tuners, and MannMade saddles. I oiled up the fretboard and plugged in...it sounds HUGE. Locomotive-like. I immediately came up with some heavy riffs and opened Logic Pro and recorded a short tune.

What an incredible guitar. Craftsmanship at World Musical Instrument Company in Korea that year was top notch. It holds its own just fine with my core models, albeit with a little different feel. Highly recommend one of these 2019 SVN guitars if you are looking for a 7 string.

index.php
index.php
index.php

Love it! Great work.
What tuning and gauge strings are you using?
Half step down, and they just Ernie Ball Regular, 10-56 I believe. I had Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom that I wanted to put on the guitar, but they're 250 miles away in my storage unit so I snagged the only 7 string set I could find at my local mom and pop guitar store. I have been meaning to get this recent set of upgrades done literally for years, so I decided no more excuses - it had to get done NOW, even if I didn't have the exact strings I wanted lol

Killer man! did it come with the black pickup rings or did you order them? also, when you ordered the locking tuners, did you order a set of 6 and an extra right tuner or left tuner?

Utterly awesome looking . I have two, one in Cherry and one from the Stealth satin limited run. The stock pickups did not suit my taste also so I swapped the first one for Bare Knuckle Silos and the other for Bare Knuckle Warpigs. I’m tempted to put the locking tuners and Mannmade bridge now after looking at yours

This looks great! Nicely done. Bet it sounds fantastic, as well.

Have fun!

Killer man! did it come with the black pickup rings or did you order them? also, when you ordered the locking tuners, did you order a set of 6 and an extra right tuner or left tuner?
I believe I had to order the black rings, yeah!

I bought a set of “demo” SE locking tuners and then bought a single from PRS. I wish they’d just sell in sets of 7 - I am sure lots of Holcomb players would buy them. Having said that, the swap was to satisfy my own neurosis more than anything. I had no issues whatsoever staying in tune with the stock tuners.

Great! Indoc can be a handful lol. CL604 part 91 for me truly living the dream.
It wasn’t so bad! Didn’t care much for where they put us up though

I was in a 601 for a couple years, the 604 always seemed like a much needed upgrade to that pig!

I believe I had to order the black rings, yeah!

I bought a set of “demo” SE locking tuners and then bought a single from PRS. I wish they’d just sell in sets of 7 - I am sure lots of Holcomb players would buy them. Having said that, the swap was to satisfy my own neurosis more than anything. I had no issues whatsoever staying in tune with the stock tuners.
I have a red 2015 like yours and a grey and black 2018 and I want to swap the rings and add locking tuners on them as well...Ill be doing the same for my faded blue as well when it arrives...

Back