PRS SE Standard Models?

20% of that 30% is the VAT (value-added tax) though. Remember that said tax is added on to the published asking price in most cases, whereas in the US the sales tax (if even applicable) is added at the point of sale - and it's generally a lot lower than 20%.

Whitecat, I'm going to temporarily derail this thread, and say that I want to see more pics of the Starla in your avatar pic!

Wasn't there an SE 'standard' model a few years back that was produced in Korea like the rest of the SE's but just had another downgrade in some of the parts, i.e. strap button, nut, tuners, knobs, flatter body. Even though a few of those pics show a slight bevel.
Honestly, I'd rather have a US body with the full carved body. Gotten so used to playing the US models that playing an SE with the slight carve (like on my new ZM) feels kind of weird. D@*n you PRS for spoiling me!

Whitecat, I'm going to temporarily derail this thread, and say that I want to see more pics of the Starla in your avatar pic!

:) I forgot to do a proper NGD thread here... perhaps I shall start one so as not to stray too far off topic here.

Wasn't there an SE 'standard' model a few years back that was produced in Korea like the rest of the SE's but just had another downgrade in some of the parts, i.e. strap button, nut, tuners, knobs, flatter body. Even though a few of those pics show a slight bevel.
Honestly, I'd rather have a US body with the full carved body. Gotten so used to playing the US models that playing an SE with the slight carve (like on my new ZM) feels kind of weird. D@*n you PRS for spoiling me!

The guitar in my avatar is one of the older SE Standard models. It is a nice guitar. I wouldn't consider it a downgrade. It has a solid mahogany body; a plain top. It is quite beautiful. It is more flat than my other SE's but has a forearm bevel. The body style is similar to an SE Custom 24 (superstrat'ish), not a singlecut. I have never seen another one like it. It looks, feels, plays, and sounds great. I got it used for very small money.

The new SE Standards look decent.

Has anyone seen the back of the headstock? I wonder if they're made in Korea. And I just finished tricking out a Tremonti SE Custom............

According to Andertons the back of the headstock says built by PT Wildwood in Indonesia.

Don't forget the VAT

Anderton's is showing them starting at 399/499 pounds, at current conversion rates that's about $625 to $750 or so. Current prices for SE models from most online dealers in the states are also right in that range, if not a bit cheaper. I don't understand why we would need another "economy" line from PRS if the prices are about the same. Does this mean they are getting rid of the current SE line made in Korea and replacing it with some crap from Indonesia and charging the same prices?

You have to remember when converting the prices from Andertons that they include VAT, which is their tax, which equates to about 20%. Takethat off and you are looking at about $498 US. Plus, for whatever reason, prices in the UK and Europe always seem to be just a bit higher than in the US. Case in point, the Andertons price for a Fender baja telecaster is 665 Pounds. That works out to $831when you subtract out the VAT. The same guitar at Sweetwater is $799.

I would just like to know when the new SE Standard line will be introduced in the US. I have been checking all the usual suspects and no one even has a sniff of them on their websites.

It does make me wonder why PRS needs another tier of guitars that are less expensive then the SE line.

I think a $200 to $400 range guitar would be good. Lots of companies do this, look at esp. You have ltd from Indonesia, then there is the ltd 1000 series from Korea, then e2 from Japan, and finally ESP from Japan. It makes sense. You can have a total beginner be willing to spend $300 on a PRS because it looks nice and plays well, but the same beginner may not want to drop $700 on the Korean Se model. I think a lot of these brands also want to get people started when they are new and hope they stick with them until the day when they are buying the $3k+ models. I know Epiphone makes their guitars in China now and some of the lower end Fender guitars are Chinese, then there is Mexican, and American. I don't know yet if this is wise on the part of PRS but it is definitely what the other companies are doing I just hope that the Indonesian models live up to the name.

Back