PRS SE Standard 24 tremolo springs

Kryštof

Hi, I have recently purchased 2018 model PRS SE Standard 24 VC and as it is my first guitar with tremolo bridge I didn't know much about it and at first didn't notice it only has 3 springs in the back holding the tremolo. The guitar only came with allen wrench to adjust the bar, wrench for truss rod and whammy bar itself no other tremolo springs on top of that even though it has holes for 5 springs. I noticed that most custom models do come with 4 springs in and one on top of it in the package. I would also like to ask that when i'm going to switch from 9 gauge string to 10 gauge apart from filing the nut, adjusting truss rod and action will only 3 springs be enough to hold that?

Any PRS with a trem I’ve ever purchased came with 4 springs from factory setup with an extra spring in the bag with the adjustment tools. Maybe something to contact the dealer about.

3 spring setup will just make the bridge a little less stable. It’s all preference I think when it comes to how stable you want the bridge to be and how stiff you want the the trem section

Three springs will be fine, but you'll need to adjust the claw the springs attach to; so that they pull the bridge to float even with the body under the different tension of a new string gauge.

I took one spring out of mine which made bending a lot easier for some reason but now I have tuning issues. It goes out of tune when I play right away. Is that normal?

I took one spring out of mine which made bending a lot easier for some reason but now I have tuning issues. It goes out of tune when I play right away. Is that normal?

You've reduced the tension too much by removing the spring. Adjust the claw, rather than removing springs.

You've reduced the tension too much by removing the spring. Adjust the claw, rather than removing springs.

I did. Trek is sitting parallel to the body. But when I bend a string the trem moves too much due to less tension. And when the term moves it goes out of tune.

I did. Trek is sitting parallel to the body. But when I bend a string the trem moves too much due to less tension. And when the term moves it goes out of tune.

If you're sure that the tremolo has enough tension to return to tune after a bend (I'm not, from what you have said you've done) then the other component to look at is the nut to check if strings are binding.

Slacken the strings, add some nut sauce/graphite lube/pencil lead into the slots to lubricate them and try again.

I use 2 medium tension springs on my DGT with 9s.Stays in tune and plays like butter.

I use 2 medium tension springs on my DGT with 9s.Stays in tune and plays like butter.

I'd say a DGT is a pretty good baseline for a buttery playing future lol

Yeah the trem was pretty high yet the saddle for the low E string was almost bottomed out. My tech will give me a call later today. He said that with the trem at spec height I'm pretty much stuck where I am right now unless I'm willing to sacrifice the trem. The lower the trem the less movement. Kinda defeats the purpose of having one in the first place. Maybe he can file down the saddle?!

Back