PRS Se Silver Sky?

Rixstar

See alot of rumours pop up again of a silver sky se model due to a comment made at namm.

Isn't the idea a lil pointless? Wouldn't that then make the silver sky model now redundant?

Why would it be redundant? It would be a similar model but it wouldn’t be identical - they’d have to cut costs somewhere to hit the price range. The SE CU24 doesn’t make the core version redundant.

Has the SE Custom 24 made the S2, CE or Core Custom 24 redundant?

You can get a 'Strat' type guitar for very little money but that hasn't stopped some companies making 'expensive' strat guitars like the Silver Shy, the Suhr and master built Fender guitars. Squire or MiM Strats haven't made more expensive Strat's redundant.

Personally I think its quite pointless because of all the other 'strat' type guitars that will be in competition - inc Chapman with SS frets. The up to $1k is extremely competitive and a guitar like the Silver Sky will be in much greater competition than Custom 24's and all the signature PRS guitars in the SE line. Those are more 'unique' and whilst the SE has its unique headstock, as a 'type', its got a LOT of competition.

Yeah true, just for a signature model to make a cheaper version I believe that would ruin the point. But then again there are a few santana models. Just doesn't make sense in my head to do an SE version of the silver sky

Has the SE Custom 24 made the S2, CE or Core Custom 24 redundant?

You can get a 'Strat' type guitar for very little money but that hasn't stopped some companies making 'expensive' strat guitars like the Silver Shy, the Suhr and master built Fender guitars. Squire or MiM Strats haven't made more expensive Strat's redundant.

Personally I think its quite pointless because of all the other 'strat' type guitars that will be in competition - inc Chapman with SS frets. The up to $1k is extremely competitive and a guitar like the Silver Sky will be in much greater competition than Custom 24's and all the signature PRS guitars in the SE line. Those are more 'unique' and whilst the SE has its unique headstock, as a 'type', its got a LOT of competition.

But, it would be a PRS, and I bet plenty of people like me would rather have a SE SS than any other strat-like guitar at around $1k (just a guesstimate). The PRS version would likely be better quality than most anything in it’s price range. JMOOC :)

I am sure a lot of PRS Owners would be interested in an SE - mostly those that haven't yet got a core and want a cheaper option. Maybe some 'Mayer' fans could be interested but convincing the rest of the guitar playing world to buy a PRS 'Strat' when there are many other options and some of those options with Stainless Steel frets as standard, 6 in a line tuning (not that I like 6 in a line myself) etc etc.

At the more expensive end, they are not competing with all the other brands that are making guitars and importing them in. Unless you really really want a cheap Silver Sky or a must be PRS fan, then any other will be looking at the Silver Sky and comparing it with guitars from Chapman for example and wondering why they can offer Stainless Steel frets on their 'strat' but PRS doesn't, maybe comparing it to Fender and that iconic Strat shape. Its already a tough and very competitive market with every mainstream guitar manufacturer making various guitars under $1k - not just 'Strat' types, but a multitude of options all to tempt a guitarist to part with their money. I think it would be hard to sell the Silver Sky to the 'majority' who won't want a 3+3 headstock, 7.25" radius, no Stainless Steel Frets and/or no backplates. Not necessarily all of those factors but 1 or 2 could push them to an alternative and I doubt Mayer will be playing SE's like Mark Holcombe does.

The two guitars that I think, again just my opinion, that PRS may struggle with at SE level is the Silver Sky and 594 because of the amount of alternatives available. Of the 2, maybe the SE Silver Sky is more marketable for its John Mayer connection and there are SE signature models so not to much of a stretch. It may have less competition on that factor as no one else is making a John Mayer Signature guitar under $1k but as a 'Strat' type, I think it has a lot more competition than a Custom 24 SE has for example.

I would buy an SS SE (Super Sexy ScottR Edition) ;)over any other brands sub $1K S-Type guitars all day long. IMHO it's a no brainer.

I've owned one of Fs s-types in the 1K range...the pickups were okay...the fit and finish of the body was okay...but then I grabbed the neck...NOPE...It wasn't the carve mind you, but instead the fretwork...or should I say...lack there of...it was down right horrible compared to my SE.
Who knows tho...Maybe I got a bad one? Or maybe thats just what Fs quality control calls "acceptable"?! We'll just call it questionable.

After that goat f@$k of a fret job...I for one...won't own another sub 4K F brand guitar again...well, unless I got it for cheap, and I knew I could flip it for a profit to help fund another PRS of some variety.;)

Begs the question...If "F" built airplanes with that level of "acceptable" QC... would you fly in one? o_O NOPE! Not me...I'll deal the layover and wait for a PRS airplane.

So hell yeah! An SE SS makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:
To be fair, if PRS made an SE version with a 9.5 or 10" scale length and the option of maple or rosewood, they might as well be printing money.
Same thing if they made a core with those specs! In fact, I'm almost convinced that the main reason they haven't already done this is that they are almost 2 years behind in production, according to some threads I've read. They introduce a 9.5" maple board SS and they would immediately sell 2 years worth of those, (including one for me) and then everything else would be even further behind.

Same thing if they made a core with those specs! In fact, I'm almost convinced that the main reason they haven't already done this is that they are almost 2 years behind in production, according to some threads I've read. They introduce a 9.5" maple board SS and they would immediately sell 2 years worth of those, (including one for me) and then everything else would be even further behind.

Nice problems to have.....

Nice problems to have.....
Know what you mean, but in some ways, not... I mean, I got that "2 years" thing from a complaint thread from one of our forum brothers who has waited and waited for a sold order. That side of it is not so good, and not so easy to swallow when you see "stock" being produced while you wait for a sold order. The sales are great, but it does put them in a tough position in several ways, IMHO.

If they introduce a SS with the specs we wanted, they could open a whole new plant just for Silver Sky models. I seriously think that the current model and this one we're talking could literally equal the production of all the other models combined. That kind of rapid growth is hard to scale for though, especially in a brand that prides itself on top of the line QC.

Back