PRS SE Santana 2012 Nut Material? Replacement?

Xavier Pacheco

Hi, I just acquired a PRS SE Santana 2012 model. I'm trying to determine whether or not I should replace the nut. It looks like it is made of plastic. I asked a rep at PRS what the material was and he told me "synthetic material" - sounds like plastic to me. But, before I replace it, could it be made of their proprietary self-lubricating material, or do the SEs simply come with plastic nuts?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it's plastic, but I definitely know that it is not the proprietary self-lubricating material....AKA...Core Nut. The nut is usually the first thing to go on the SE's by members here. A lot go for the Core nut. It's cheap and easy to install. Makes a big difference in tuning stability.

Yeah, what Bodia said.

I used to f@ck around with the stock nuts, widening the slots an’ stuff but, the core nuts are easier to install. The last guitar I did took like, zero effort or shaping. It’s worth it, at least for the trem equipped ones.

@bodia @sergiodeblanc , thanks for the feedback. Is this what you mean by core nut?

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts/products/string-nuts-set-of-2

If so, which do I need, the "wide/fat wide/thin" or regular?

Your comments suggest that this is something I could probably do myself? I'll need to find a video on how to replace a nut - unless you can recommend an approach.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

---- x

That's the one. Wide/Fat - Wide/Thin will do you right. Here's a video that should help you out.

@bodia @sergiodeblanc , thanks for the feedback. Is this what you mean by core nut?

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts/products/string-nuts-set-of-2

If so, which do I need, the "wide/fat wide/thin" or regular?

Your comments suggest that this is something I could probably do myself? I'll need to find a video on how to replace a nut - unless you can recommend an approach.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

---- x

Yeah, you’ll want the wide fat/wide thin for your guitar. Oddly enough, the one that required the most work for me was a 2017 Santana, as I don’t think the carve was/is the same, or at least there was a big variance.

What you do is score around the old nut with a blade, gently tap it out, lightly clean up the remaining glue, and then glue the new one in.

If the nut is too high, rub it on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface. If you slacken the strings, you can keep checking it until you get it just right, as there will be enough pressure from retuning the strings to keep it in place before gluing it in.

Plus, you get two in a pack, so you can screw up once.

Back