PRS SE Paul's Guitars

KYGuitarMan

Like SE's, especially PRS SE Paul's Guitar. A little hard to find at the moment.

Last edited:
Like SE's, especially PRS SE Paul's Guitar. A little hard to find at the moment.

I was lucky to find one at Guitar Center which I never imagined. I have a 594 McCarty Core which I love. Semi-hollow. But I'm very impressed by the SE Paul's guitar. I can really get it to sound like a single coil if I want that sound. I put locking tuners on it. Beautiful guitar and plays and sounds great. I didn't hear much of a difference when I played my friend's Paul's Core.

I was lucky to find one at Guitar Center which I never imagined. I have a 594 McCarty Core which I love. Semi-hollow. But I'm very impressed by the SE Paul's guitar. I can really get it to sound like a single coil if I want that sound. I put locking tuners on it. Beautiful guitar and plays and sounds great. I didn't hear much of a difference when I played my friend's Paul's Core.
What color?

This model intrigues me, and it's well within my price range. But they're so freaking hard to come by right now. Can't pick one off the rack and see how it feels, and I can't find detailed measurements on the neck to gauge the difference from my SE Custom, just the generic "wide/fat" description so it's a hands on thing for me for sure. Like the (Les Paul-ish?) nature and sound of it, lots about this guitar to like really. Gonna have to be patient and wait it out though; speaking with my friends at the Edmonton shops it's a real crap shoot as to availability and time frame to get to try one out.

I'm not really sure what PRS means by a fat neck. I like the neck on this guitar but it's not as "fat" as the neck on my Core 594 model. That neck feels chunkier. Good luck. Not available until April at Chicago Music Exchange. And they are big PRS dealer.

I hear you Martin. Our main dealer across Canada is Long & McQuade and they are afraid to say much of anything for time frame right now., especially with the damage in BC right now. I would surmise that the model is Indonesian like my Custom so that means arrival through the Vancouver port which is virtually impossible right now. Even if they come in through LA and then got distributed from there with the backlog of container ships sitting at anchor it would be months getting unloaded. I based my purchase of the SE Custom by comparing it to my old Yamaha RGX dimensions and actually lucked out as I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped directly to me. Just a few tweaks and it was good to go. But this one I'll wait unless something else comes along (SE Floyd maybe?) but this one has captivated my interest enough to be patient.

If I had it to do all over again ... a SE Paul's would have been my first PRS. However, when I bought my first PRS, a CU 24 in Zebrawood ... the Pauls was not yet out.

I am not an expert on the nuances that makes one guitar different from the other ... but I think the Paul's has a definite advantage in the pickups compared to the CU's 85/15S set . The Paul's TCI/S set, seems to produce some killer single coil tones, as well as more than passable humbucker tones.

I thought about selling the CU Zebrawood for a Paul's , but I had already invested in a custom winder 'set of replacement pickups (for an additional $240 bucks) ... and realized , I already had the split coil; sounds, as well as better HB tones I was looking for in the Paul's ...

But with the Paul's, you probably would not be looking to swap out the pickups ...

But add the SE Locking Tuners to either ... :cool:

Back