PRS SE Pauls Guitar replacement tuners?

Robbie_Boy

I have just bought a PRS SE Pauls Guitar & am delighted with the build quality, look, sound etc.....
It was delivered with the action a bit on the high side, but other than than this it is a great guitar with one exception....
The plastic Klusen style tuners I think are rubbish. Many people have already commented on this & so I was not disappointed when it arrived & agreed.
My question is which REPLACEMENT LOCKING TUNERS will fit this guitar please?
I am not worried if PRS do not make there own version, I would just like to know which exact type of GOTOH, KLUSEN or HIPSHOT would be the best replacement?
Cheers, Rob

Gotoh SD-90 SL are a match for the footprint of the non locking PRS tuners.

Alternatively, I believe that John Mann (forum member and co-creator of original PRS trem) offers a service to convert your old non locking tuners.

Alternatively, I believe that John Mann (forum member and co-creator of original PRS trem) offers a service to convert your old non locking tuners.

Thanks Alnus, I’ll look into these as I’ve got a lot of time for Gotoh tuners, Cheers

Maybe I'm missing something...won't the SE locking tuners fit the SE Paul's?

We need pictures also...demand pictures!

Maybe I'm missing something...won't the SE locking tuners fit the SE Paul's?

We need pictures also...demand pictures!

SE locking tuners have a different footprint and when the vintage style tuners are removed from the guitar, they leave indents in the lacquer, on the back of the headstock.

The replacement tuner doesn’t cover this footprint and it bothers some people.

Also the screw holes are different.

Me too.

Gotoh make good stuff.

They make the Phase III tuners on Core PRS instruments.
Yes, but I am not sure what the peg hole size is on the SE Pauls guitar & don't know where to find this out. I have a feeling they are a metric size & a lot of other substitute tuners are imperial?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but off the top of my head I want ro say they are 10mm holes.

I have a couple sets of the gotoh sd90 vintage with out thumb wheels and they are probably my favorite tuners all around outside of my phase III.

I'd drop a line to John Mann to see what he has or Kenny at Philadelphia Luthier for the gotoh. Both are two of the best to deal with.

Tuners facts...

1.) PRS SE tuners all have METRIC shafts (6mm diameter shafts (.236"))
2.) PRS SE tuners also have larger bushing bodies than most 1/4" shaft tuners.
3.) PRS SE tuners are custom manufactured in Korea by Hanchang.
4.) Klusons are made in Korea by WD Music, who owns the trademark.
There is no affiliation to the original Kluson company that made tuners in the USA.
5.) Klusons, Gotoh (Japan) and Schaller (Germany) tuners that look like vintage style Kluson tuners have US shafts (1/4" diameter (.250)). These are not compatible with SE guitars, without modification.
6.) PRS Phase III tuners will fit, EXCEPT you will see the original footprint of the SE traditional tuner and the bushing is NOT compatible. In other words... its not a drop-in replacement.
7.) Grovers are also made overseas.
8.) Most PRS Core guitars use Gen III tuners, custom manufactured by Gotoh (Japan).
9.) S2 tuners work just fine... leave them be... no upgrade necessary...
10.) Locking tuners are really only necessary on trem equipped guitars. However... If you like the convivence and ease of stringing, then by all means... get 'em ;)
11.) Yes... I still make modified locking tuners of all flavors. I also will still modify any brand tuner you have.
12.) PRS S2 594's use Hanchang METRIC Kluson style traditional tuners. See all of the above facts...
13) BTW... original style Fender 6 in line tuners with split shafts are already locking by design, so don't send those to be modified. I can't do those.
14) I still sell tuners and parts for those old Phase I tuners. I can also rebuild them or convert them to the newer Phase II thumbscrew style locking tuners.

Last edited:
Tuners facts...

1. PRS SE tuners all have METRIC shafts (6mm diameter shafts (.236"))
3.) PRS SE tuners are custom manufactured in Korea by Jin-Ho.
4.) Klusons are made in Korea by WD Music, who owns the trademark. There is no affiliation to the original Kluson company that made tuners in the USA.
5.) Klusons, Gotoh (Japan) and Schaller (Germany) tuners that look like vintage style Kluson tuners have US shafts (1/4" diameter (.250)). These are not compatible with SE guitars, without modification.
6.) PRS Phase III tuners will fit, EXCEPT you will see the original footprint of the SE traditional tuner and the bushing is NOT compatible. In other words... its not a drop-in replacement.
8.) Most PRS Core guitars use Gen III tuners, custom manufactured by Gotoh (Japan).
10.) Locking tuners are really only necessary on trem equipped guitars. However... If you like the convivence and ease of stringing, then by all means... get 'em ;)
11.) Yes... I still make modified locking tuners of all flavors. I also will still modify any brand tuner you have.
12.) PRS S2 594's use Jin-Ho METRIC Kluson style traditional tuners. See all of the above facts...
13) BTW... original style Fender 6 in line tuners with split shafts are already locking by design, so don't send those to be modified. I can't do those.

THIS NEEDS A RED THUMBTACK!

Thanks, John!

141575941_3662793843800368_8082235767777575048_o.jpg

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/shop/Parts/Guitar-Parts/Tuning-Keys.htm

Tuners facts...

1.) PRS SE tuners all have METRIC shafts (6mm diameter shafts (.236"))
3.) PRS SE tuners are custom manufactured in Korea by Hanchang.
4.) Klusons are made in Korea by WD Music, who owns the trademark.
There is no affiliation to the original Kluson company that made tuners in the USA.
12.) PRS S2 594's use Hanchang METRIC Kluson style traditional tuners. See all of the above facts...
14) I still sell tuners and parts for those old Phase I tuners. I can also rebuild them or convert them to the newer Phase II thumbscrew style locking tuners.

Hi John,
Thanks for this great feedback.
In the end I took a tuner off my PRS SE Pauls Guitar & measured the hole with a drill bit at 8mm, and I had already ordered some Gotoh SD-90 Magnum Thumb locking tuners which I'm hoping will just slot in, it may be I need to use their included slot in bush, but I'll have to see.
Cheers & thanks again for your detailed reply, it's always great to find guys out there with your experience & knowledge.

Thanks for this.
In the end I bought the Gotoh SD 90’s.
The bush size appears to be exactly the same as the PRS SE Paul’s guitar stock bushes when you measure them, however they are very slightly thicker in diameter. The Gotoh locking tuner posts are to wide to fit into the PRS stock bushes, therefore you do need to remove these (not too difficult) & replace with the Gotoh bushes. These are a very tight squeeze to get in & I could not do this by hand, so needed to use a clamp to “ease” them in. Once done everything works perfectly, but they are not going to come out ever again if you ever wanted to return the originals! So a small mod is needed. Maybe the Kluson locking tuners maybe a easier straight replacement for future moders..... thanks fir everyone’s feedback.

I too have an SE Paul's Guitar, and desire locking tuners. These are all good solutions.

What I want isn't mentioned so I figured I'd ask.

Is there a "drop in" or minor mods tuner that's is locking, chrome key, and brass post? I put some Phase 3 on my 594 and would love something like that on the PG but without the reaming that would be necessary.

Maybe I need to contact the Mann, John Mann!

Those also have those hideous plastic butttons though

Back