PRS SE, Out of phase, Wiring, Wiring Diagram

Cdonny25

Hey Everyone,

So here is my issue i have a 35th anniversary Prs Se 24 and I love it but I had my guitar tech add 2 push pulls(for out of phase and Series) and the coil taps now only work when the in Series is pulled up.
could anyone point me in a direction for diagrams for something like this? I want to help him out because this is no easy mod.

Series/parallel between the coils or between bridge/neck humbuckers? I don’t think you can actually get parallel within a humbucker on multitap style pickups since both sides of the series link aren’t exposed. It has 4 wires, but the fourth is a tap on the overwound coil.

Series/parallel between the coils or between bridge/neck humbuckers? I don’t think you can actually get parallel within a humbucker on multitap style pickups since both sides of the series link aren’t exposed. It has 4 wires, but the fourth is a tap on the overwound coil.

no sir I'm Actually talking about running both Humbuckers in series you could check it out look up jimi page wiring it give a very hot sound, tbh im thinking about doing one push pull out of phase and then one push pull Bypass vol to jack im brining it in soon to put on a humbucker cover on the bridge so its good timing reguardless.

Did you decide on phase/series or phase/bypass for the push/pulls?

Sorry as I was starting to write something up but am not as familiar with the SE 35th wiring (although it's similar to the SE Paul's I believe).

well I'm gonna take it into the shop in the next week after my sheraton II days i think im just gonna switch the lower push pull to bypass and keep the top one to out of phase. hopefully that will fix the problem. I cant tell if the coil splits only work when its in series or if its just way more discernible that way It could be my tin ear.

I would love to see the correct diagram for this model too,
I have the same model, it’s wired differently to the PRS custom Paul’s diagram,
and seems closer to the diagram of the SE Paul’s model but I can’t be sure and both are quite different diagrams ( PDFs on the PRS site )

If it is wired like and color codes like the SE Paul's Guitar, the part left out and imho hence the confusion, is the color code or a diagram for the pickups and to consider pickup orientation/phasing.. Also note that PRS coil taps (on the TCI pickups anyway...) do isolate the 'tapped' coil vice grounding the tap. Keep this in mind when looking at the wiring diagram.

Neck pickup, nearest to fretboard at top:
Green (pole +)
White (pole -)
Red (slug +)
Black (slug -)

In humbucking mode, Green is the output, White and Red are connected together, and Black is grounded. In tapped mode, Green is the output, white is grounded, and the Red and Black wires are left hanging (isolated).

Bridge pickup, nearest to fretboard at top:
Black (slug -)
Red (slug +)
White (pole -)
Green (pole +)

The bridge pickup has the same winding orientation as the neck pickup. So when the pickup is oriented 180 degrees (pole pieces towards the bridge) to keep everything in phase - is + and + is - . So in humbucking mode White is the output, Black and Green are connected, and Red is grounded. In tapped mode, White is output, Green is ground, and Red and Black are left hanging (isolated).

Hope this helps you figure out what's going on...

I just confirmed on my SE Custom 24 35th Anniversary that the wiring and color codes are the same as the Paul's Guitar.

What's the trick to being able to upload a pdf or jpg? I'd post the diagram if I could...

Last edited:
If it is wired like and color codes like the SE Paul's Guitar, the part left out and imho hence the confusion, is the color code or a diagram for the pickups and to consider pickup orientation/phasing.. Also note that PRS coil taps (on the TCI pickups anyway...) do isolate the 'tapped' coil vice grounding the tap. Keep this in mind when looking at the wiring diagram.

Neck pickup, nearest to fretboard at top:
Green (pole +)
White (pole -)
Red (slug +)
Black (slug -)

In humbucking mode, Green is the output, White and Red are connected together, and Black is grounded. In tapped mode, Green is the output, white is grounded, and the Red and Black wires are left hanging (isolated).

Bridge pickup, nearest to fretboard at top:
Black (slug -)
Red (slug +)
White (pole -)
Green (pole +)

The bridge pickup has the same winding orientation as the neck pickup. So when the pickup is oriented 180 degrees (pole pieces towards the bridge) to keep everything in phase - is + and + is - . So in humbucking mode White is the output, Black and Green are connected, and Red is grounded. In tapped mode, White is output, Green is ground, and Red and Black are left hanging (isolated).

Hope this helps you figure out what's going on...
Hi, I have the same guitar, but I'm looking to replace the TCI pickup with PRS 59/09 pickups. The 59/09 pickup has 3 wire (white, black, and red) plus 1 braided wire. Can you sent me the wiring diagram for my new pickup?? I'm not sure which positive which negative for 59/09 pickup and what to do for the braided wire. My email is [email protected]. Your response is truly appreciate!

Responded to you on the other thread. I do not have the wiring diagram for a 59/09 pickup. I would contact PRS tech support if it's not in their schematics database on this website.

Back