PRS SE Mark Tremonti Custom Quilt Natural - Andertons chopping them out?

Ethelread

I was thinking of making my first PRS this model, the SE Tremonti Custom Quilt Natural.
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...prs-se-mark-tremonti-custom-quilt-natural.asp
I love the finish, but was wondering if anyone knew why Andertons might be selling them at such a special price of £499 plus free Tone City pedal? I don't think it's a current model so maybe all is ok and they bought an end of line batch. The same model in Sapphire is at full price of £679. Is there anything untoward I should be aware of before committing?

Might be an availability thing? My SE 245 was bought cheaper than the remaining stock. I noticed as soon as I bought it that the price increased for the remaining stock as once mine was deducted from inventory.

They may have an overstock they're trying to shift.

(different vendor for mine mind you)

Looks like it might be a special run or an older color option that they have leftover. Probably just a lower price to get it out of their warehouse.

Anderton`s is extremely reputable. I say buy it if you like it. It could be a special run, and any of the other things mentioned before. The big thing is to buy a guitar you really like and enjoy it as much as possible. My SE Tremonti Custom is my go-to bar guitar.

It's a mistake, hurry up and buy it before they change their minds and/or run out.

They are generally all between £399 and £599 in the UK at the moment and I bought this brand new from GAK for £399 including the smart PRS gig bag eighteen months ago:
a0ojj1y.jpg

Quick Report

- Speedy, friendly service as usual from Andertons. They kindly photographed a couple of necks for me as I wanted to be sure I received a nice dark plain one: some people like 'milky' rosewood figuring but I don't.

- Oddity: the guitar rattled. I found that inside the tremelo cavity two springs had been connected, but only to one side and two were just banging around loose in the cavity. (A fifth one came in the poly bag containing the trem arm, two Allen keys and truss rod wrench). I phoned Andertons to ask about this and they apologised. I connected the springs up, two one side, two the other, i.e. one position blank in the middle, which they told me should be a good 'starter' tension. I've never been a tremelo arm man (although I do have two Strats with them) so the arcane mechanics of tremelo systems and their adjustment is all foreign to me at the moment.

- I'm very impressed with the overall quality. As a prolific guitar buyer over the years, this is the best 'set up out of the box' I have experienced. It's not perfect though; the action is too high for me, so I'll still get my usual guitar tech to do a full pro setup.

- This one looks good, sounds good and feels good. A definite keeper!

John

Nice! Especially that top -- that's almost perfect bookmatching.

Weird about the springs -- do you think they loosened them for transport, and didn't realize they had loosened them that much? That'd be my guess.

Looks great, and I agree with Dusty: the top shows a quite perfect bookmatching. I saw photos of USA models way worse than that. Congrats.
I also got a Tremonti Custom SE few months ago, from Thomann at the ridiculous price of 550 €... and I found similar prices in Musicstore, too... Don't know what happened, but a Tremonti Custom SE t these ridiculous prices is a fu***n' bargain.
My two cents: I found the perfect setup by removing one spring. With 3 springs the bridge is perfectly balanced, the action is great, playbillity at its best. I use 10-46 strings.

Looks great, and I agree with Dusty: the top shows a quite perfect bookmatching. I saw photos of USA models way worse than that. Congrats.
I also got a Tremonti Custom SE few months ago, from Thomann at the ridiculous price of 550 €... and I found similar prices in Musicstore, too... Don't know what happened, but a Tremonti Custom SE t these ridiculous prices is a fu***n' bargain.
My two cents: I found the perfect setup by removing one spring. With 3 springs the bridge is perfectly balanced, the action is great, playbillity at its best. I use 10-46 strings.

What do you tune that puppy to? I've been pondering getting one myself or perhaps taking my 245 SE and making hat my down tune guitar.....a lot tremonti, 3 days grace, breaking Benjamin, kill switch engage, etc. right now I'm using my Santana SE but the shorter scale even with skinny top heavy bottom strings is a bit floppy and playability isn't as smooth as I'd like. I'd much rather a stop tail which I think would help but probably the longer scale on the tremonti is the right way to go.

It's standard E tuning. This is the guitar I absolutely like most and I found more comfrotable to play, so I set it as my base guitar. Pups are 59/09 T in the bridge, and BKP The Mule in the neck. Killer combo, can do everything from jazz to blues to classic metal. Maybe it suffers extra high gains and modern metal sounds. For heaviest metal tones, I swap to my Chapman guitars ML-2, drop C tuning, 11-56 strings. Really fantastic.

Back