PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo

Desperado

I bought one of these guitars, and overall it's great, the problem I have is the G string is much louder than the other strings when the piezo is engaged. I'm wondering how I can turn down the individual string volume. I looked on the PRS site and it stated that volume adjustment can be made via turning some screws inside the battery compartment. I assume this is talking about the USA made guitars, because there is nothing obvious inside the SE which would allow me to do that.

Would be grateful for any info. At this point the piezo is unusable as all I can hear is the G string droning over the top every chord I play.

Shawn from the PTC e-mailed me. Apparently with the SE model there is no way to adjust the individual string volume of the piezo. This unfortunately means that I will need to return the guitar, which is a real shame as I actually really like it.

That's unfortunate. Good luck with the next one. I was wondering if the LR baggs system were the same as the ones in the core.

Thanks, I'm just waiting for them to get another in stock, they are selling these really fast here in the UK. I'll give them another call tomorrow for an update as I'm leaving for France on Friday for a couple of weeks. They are a decent store so I know they'll do their best for me.

D,

To be sure the next HBII Piezo doesn't have the same issue, you might need to check that the G-String is unwound. A wound G-String might cause a noticeable volume difference. Strings from the factory are .010-.046, with an unwound G.

I didn't think of this before you had already sent the original HBII Piezo back...

D,

To be sure the next HBII Piezo doesn't have the same issue, you might need to check that the G-String is unwound. A wound G-String might cause a noticeable volume difference. Strings from the factory are .010-.046, with an unwound G.

I didn't think of this before you had already sent the original HBII Piezo back...

It was an unwound string. I don't use wound G strings. The guitar is being swapped over today, the store had to wait a while to get a blue one in and I have been on holiday too so there have been some delays. They are looking after me though. The one arriving today has been tested and works as it should so I'm looking forward to it arriving.

For everyone's info, here is a pic of an SE piezo board. I circled the area where the master trim pot is located.
The SE piezo does not have individual trims pots like those found on the core piezo system.

View attachment 8199
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
My piezo was dialed in WAY hotter than the magnetics and it was distorting coming out of a super clean SS amp. Problem solved!

Hi all
So just received my replacement SE HB11 piezo replacement after nine months of waiting!,
Have the same issues with the piezo ‘volume’ massively overpowering the magnetic sound, know about the board trim screw - question is, if I unscrew and remove the ‘board’ is there enough free cable to remove it sufficiently to modify ???

Hi all
So just received my replacement SE HB11 piezo replacement after nine months of waiting!,
Have the same issues with the piezo ‘volume’ massively overpowering the magnetic sound, know about the board trim screw - question is, if I unscrew and remove the ‘board’ is there enough free cable to remove it sufficiently to modify ???

Hi Paul,
There is enough 'free cable' in the sense that you can do this without removing other components. It may require reaching in through the battery access hole and undoing some wire ties. I have a thread that has some pics, you can get a general idea of where the ties are. If you are patient you'll have no problem doing this with only a philips head screwdriver and your fingers.
I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions as I'm doing all the electronics now and am happy to help.

I bought one of these guitars, and overall it's great, the problem I have is the G string is much louder than the other strings when the piezo is engaged. I'm wondering how I can turn down the individual string volume. I looked on the PRS site and it stated that volume adjustment can be made via turning some screws inside the battery compartment. I assume this is talking about the USA made guitars, because there is nothing obvious inside the SE which would allow me to do that.

Would be grateful for any info. At this point the piezo is unusable as all I can hear is the G string droning over the top every chord I play.

I

I just received my HBII se piezo and found a similar piezo
problem.On mine all the strings sound loud and clear except for the A string which has a much lower output.I’m now waiting for their response.

I

I just received my HBII se piezo and found a similar piezo
problem.On mine all the strings sound loud and clear except for the A string which has a much lower output.I’m now waiting for their response.

I hope you get it sorted, I was looked after very well by both the store and PRS Europe who got me a replacement as soon as they possibly could. Clearly there are a few issues with the electronics in some of these guitars. My replacement has been completely fine, no issues whatsoever after approximately 9 months.

This info is helpful. Just took delivery of mine and the Piezo is significantly hotter than the mags. As in any volume over 3 gets dirty. I will have to make the adjustment once the rest of the setup is finished.

Anyone here actually adjusted the piezo with the screw? Is it hard to remove and replace that part that needs to come out to access the screw?
Would have been nice to have made this a little easier to get to, don't you think?
Thanks

Back