PRS SE Hollow body Piezo

AZGiant

Finally looking to bring one of these into my arsenal.

I am curious, for those that already have one:

1. Mixing the clean piezo and the distorted humbuckers, curious how the blending of that sound works as it would be the first time I have ever done that. My assumption is blend the clean sound "underneath" the distorted sound for more clarity, but again I have never done that aside from recording a dirty and clean guitar in the studio.

2. How do the piezos sound going through distortion? I have two Blackstar amps, Venue and a ID260 and like to blend the tube sound of the Venue with the solid state of the IS260 (sort of like old school New York compression). I really cannot find anything on how that would sound online.

3. Finally, I use XVive wireless and assume I can just get another transmitter and use one on the HB output and one on the piezo output? I know that is not typically a question for this group, but hoping someone works with them for two outputs and can offer some advice. I think it will work find, just curious.

Thanks.

Axeman

Finally looking to bring one of these into my arsenal.

I am curious, for those that already have one:

1. Mixing the clean piezo and the distorted humbuckers, curious how the blending of that sound works as it would be the first time I have ever done that. My assumption is blend the clean sound "underneath" the distorted sound for more clarity, but again I have never done that aside from recording a dirty and clean guitar in the studio.

2. How do the piezos sound going through distortion? I have two Blackstar amps, Venue and a ID260 and like to blend the tube sound of the Venue with the solid state of the IS260 (sort of like old school New York compression). I really cannot find anything on how that would sound online.

3. Finally, I use XVive wireless and assume I can just get another transmitter and use one on the HB output and one on the piezo output? I know that is not typically a question for this group, but hoping someone works with them for two outputs and can offer some advice. I think it will work find, just curious.

Thanks.

Axeman

First off, to blend a Clean Piezo and Distorted HB's, you need to have two cables (one for Piezo, one for magnetics) and two amps - one an acoustic which you plug the Piezo into as the Piezo benefits from tweeters in FR Acoustic amps, and a standard electric guitar amp your magnetics/pedal board is plugged into. I think it adds some sparkle/shimmer on top but you can bland to taste using the volume pots.

Piezo through distortion ain't my thing bit its a 'sound' that maybe what you need to cut through a mix to nail the perfect tone for your song so up to you

I think its ok with a bit of crunch because I can't be bothered to plug in a separate cable and set up a dual output rig, but full on distortion is too much for my taste.

I don't have the SE, just the regular Core version but the same principal applies as both have a similar arrangement and therefore similar set-up too. Blending in the Piezo through a regular electric guitar amp is not the same so to get the 'best' results, it does require something for Acoustic/piezo/vocal instruments. It can add 'something' a bit of sparkle on top but not quite as sparkly

Great instruments and the best thing about 'creativity', if it inspires you, helps you, etc its great regardless of what any other person thinks. All you need to know is that they are great instruments, sound, feel and play great now all you need to decide is when to buy! LOL

I don’t love the Piezo with much distortion. Of course, we all like different things so my opinion might be irrelevant. But on my Mesa I’m setup to get (magnetic coil) breakup with volume, so at middle volume it’s pretty much clean, therefore I can also use the Piezo output through the amp at the same setting for another clean electric guitar-ish sound.

FWIW, the Piezo output is a low impedance circuit.

Last edited:
Regarding the wireless transmitters, be sure that the transmitter you are using for the piezo is optimized for active pickups. I have a set of XVive wireless transmitters and, while they do transmit the piezo sound, they are full of static interference due to the nature of the active piezo pickup.

Running a wireless for your passive pickups and a cable to your piezo would definitely work, or for the least amount of interference, just run two cables.

I found a nice blog post from a luthier about this guitar:
Interesting though - he specifically mentions it has a 9.5 radius, which isn't true, it's a 10" (same as most PRS)

The blend, when using the mix input adds a bit of high end and an acoustic plug to the rounder middier tone. Through an electric amp, the piezo gets hot quickly, and starts to get dirty after turning past 4 or 5 on the dial. I don't love the tone, but it's not awful. I find it, along with adding overdrive to the piezo, a bit ice-picky for me.

However, when plugged into the acoustic amp model on my Katana, the piezo lives happily at 10 on the volume. I also find it sounds pleasant with a wah pedal. I've been playing with delay and reverb as well. You can also add the magnetic pickups to this, to get a little bit of a rounder sound, but still being overwhelmingly acoustic.

I love it. I love everything about this guitar. (though wish the neck was satin).

Back