PRS SE going of tune while (not after) bending

LCM

Hi! I got 1 1/2 weeks ago my 1st PRS guitar (SE tremonti 2017) and have been loving every second of it but today I noticed that when I do bends, my other strings go out of tune but only during the duration of the bend, after that they just goes back to being in tune. I am assuming it has something to do with the neck tension, but I dont recall having that issue in my ibanez prestige (with floyd rose). Is this normal?

When you bend a string your trem will give a little as your basically pulling it up and thus lower the tension on the other strings...

You can install a Tremel-no or a Mag-Lok anti-deflection device to keep it more stable; I've found this is true of Strats often too.

Perfectly normal for floating tremolos.

The only way to counter it, assuming you still want use of the tremolo, is to either "deck" the trem (so that it can't be pulled up and requires a bit more effort to push down) or consciously press on the trem while you bend (I would imagine that would take some practice to get the technique clean)..

But frankly, it isn't an issue for my playing style, so I don't worry about it.

Perfectly normal for floating tremolos.

The only way to counter it, assuming you still want use of the tremolo, is to either "deck" the trem (so that it can't be pulled up and requires a bit more effort to push down) or consciously press on the trem while you bend (I would imagine that would take some practice to get the technique clean)..

But frankly, it isn't an issue for my playing style, so I don't worry about it.

Yeah generally on guitars with trems I "deck" them as mentioned above so that it isn't "floating" and it sits flat on the top of the guitar. I will also, depending on the type of guitar, add as many springs as possible to the the trem. Sometimes both, sometimes I do one or the other. Kind of depends on the guitar but it's part of living with a trem system.

Back