PRS SE EG instead of trying with Strat

jay

Happy Member
Hello all,

my next guitar will be three single coils because I want Strat tones to be added to my arsenal (well, this is the plan).
Idea was to wait until I will have the chance to go to a store where I can have plenty of choice, then try as much as I can before deciding. I have missed the real-shop experience when I bought my PG and it's a pity, even if I love the instrument.
I am open to any brand, with obvious preference for PRS, and I don't like imitations (if it looks like a strat, I like it to be Fender/Squier).

Well, my plan is endangered now, as I've seen an SE EG stoptail online (and when I looked before, never found one that can be delivered to me) ...
No way I can get to the physical store to try it, so I am asking: for your experience with this guitar, will I be happy with its tones or will I still be wanting to dig into Fender world? I am afraid mahogany body and neck + stoptail to be too distant from what I want and I don't want to buy two.

Additional infos:
  • my only experiences with Strats were with a couple of American Standards and at first impression I did not like the neck feeling. Don't know how much distant from that I can get with a Fender.
  • as a final solution, I can accept also a more expensive guitar but, of course, PRS SE prices are way better than Fender American/Custom Shop prices, so in case the results are comparable ...
Thanks to all

I recently found an SE EG stoptail and so I guess I can offer my opinion.

My first "real" experience with single coils was a MIM Strat. I say real because my first ever electric guitar was an entry level Squier, but that was hardly a viable test of electric guitars. After a number of years (and one amazing PRS) I found a MIM strat. I still have it. Great player and has that quack I want from single coils. I've purchased USA Strats, but the MIM sounds better. When you find a keeper, no matter the price level, keep it.

Now the SE EG. It's a great guitar. It plays easier than the Strat, and it sounds great, and pretty close to the Strat, but it isn't exactly like it. It will get quaky in the middle positions, but the rosewood and the mahogany do make a difference (my Strat has a maple fretboard). It's warmer and the stoptail doesn't allow you to "sag" when you bend notes like a Strat will do. So if you are a Fender tone purist, find a MIM Strat. If you want PRS playability, PRS tuning stability, and a really good single coil sound, it's a fine choice.

If you want a Strat/Strat sound buy a Strat but PRS have three pickup choices available.

I have waffled back and forth between actual Strats and SE EGs off and on over the years. I actually really dig the feel of the newer compound-radius American Strat necks, and the satin finish feels great - it's a little glassier than a satin PRS neck feel.

I have had both stoptail and trem SE EGs. The stoptail versions tend to be at least a pound or so lighter than their trem-equipped cousins.

That being said, I wind up preferring the tone and playability of the SE EG TREMs to any Strat I have owned. I actually really dig the stock single coils. Although it adds potential instability, I think the SE EGs sound more Stratty as a trem model.

They are thicker and growlier than the average Strat in stock form, probably a combination of the wood, construction and pickups.

I am done flip-flopping now. After de-Stratting recently, I picked up an SE EG SSS Trem, and have an HSS one en route. They will both get USA nuts cut for .10s, Grover 406 locking tuners, and MannMade 2000NOS bridges.

FWIW I tried a DC3 a few years ago and really liked it, but other PRSes called my name. There are some pretty good deals on these, so put those on your radar as well.

Happy hunting!

Like Carl, I heard the siren`s call and bought an s-s-s trem SE EG 2 weeks ago. It has a thicker quack on 2 and 4 on the 5 way switch. The neck pickup is extraordinary. All i`ve done so far is Hipshot open back locking tuners (U.M.P.) mounting plates, a new nut, and reset it up myself. The only other planned change is a TBX tone control to replace the existing one. That should get me as close as I need to to my other 2 strats currently getting cobwebs on the cases. The neck is gloss and very nice. The trem is a little better than my other 2 SE trem guitars. Now I have to find out why.

Obviously it can be done with a PRS -- Martl513 did it on a 513...that said, I don't understand this:
I am open to any brand, with obvious preference for PRS, and I don't like imitations (if it looks like a strat, I like it to be Fender/Squier).
G&L >> Squier.

I'm sure you could fool anyone's ear into thinking it's a Strat, but I think I would miss the maple neck. It lends a certain snappiness I miss with mahogany. It's probably more in the feel and the subtle way the guitar reacts to being played.

Another choice, is you can find one, is a Swamp Ash 513 - I could get some real stratty vibes out of the one I had - wish I still had...

I would look at a DC3 and or a 305 if you want a PRS feel and Strat sound my 305 leans toward the Trower / Blackmore / Vaughn sounds ( big and full ) the Knofler sound can be had just have to turn it down a bit or lower the pickups a bit ( IMHO ) .
I also LOVE the single coil sounds on my new to me 513

A "strat" needs a real steelblock and 25.5 scale length.I would suggest a second hand Fender Eric Clapton model.Awesome neck on that model.

Last edited:
A "strat" needs a real steelblock and 25.5 scale length.I would suggest a second hand Fender Eric Clapton model.Awesome neck on that model.

I'll disagree on the first part. I have a parts build with a 25" neck and a zinc block, and it's a better Strat than my American Standard, so I just sold the Fender.

I do agree on the EC neck; it was the inspiration for the neck of said parts build.

I own three Strats and a DC3. The DC3 is pretty dang close to a Strat except it has a much better tremolo. The DC3 has a alder body, steel bridge block and steel saddles and 25.25" scale. Even though the Dc3 is out of production, there are still NOS guitars in inventory that have remained unsold for years. I found mine for $1500 shipped and it was brand new.

Here's a video I just made of my DC3.

I've played a lot of gigs with my SE EG stoptail, alternating with my HB spruce, and frankly I could easily just play the EG all night. I love WF necks and this one is perfect. It's also very light (< 6#) and just never goes out of tune. I find that 4 of the 5 pickup tones really useful. Hardly ever use #1, but #2 is very Tele-like. #3 is just a good R&B sound for a lot of tunes. #4 gets almost acoustic sounding with the volume rolled slightly back and #5 is a great, smoky tone that's warm with a lot of harmonics. Sounds Stratty enough for me and the best value guitar I've ever owned!

Jim

Thanks everybody! Sorry not to have replied before but it was a nightmare at work in these days.

I am still not conviced 100%.
I'm sure I would be happy with it but I am not the guy who sells things easily and I cannot accumulate too much for space and wife issues ... the 305 sounds fantastic and maybe I will wait for that (I've also found this video
which shows its qualities quite well). Or maybe I will sell my LP to fund this and something else ...

Obviously it can be done with a PRS -- Martl513 did it on a 513...that said, I don't understand this:G&L >> Squier.

It's just a feeling I have. I have nothing against G&L, Suhr, Tyler, ecc. and I am sure they are great and maybe better than Fenders ... it's just the same reason I would not buy a car that looks like a Porsche and it drives better and it is more reliable, if it was produced by someone else.
I don't pretend to convince anybody that this is the right way to think and I also realize that sentence was probably a bit off-topic from my own post.

About 513, I would love to try one. Unfortunately, I would need many hours of driving to reach one and it's also a bit off-budget, at least for now.

Thanks!

It's just a feeling I have. I have nothing against G&L, Suhr, Tyler, ecc. and I am sure they are great and maybe better than Fenders ... it's just the same reason I would not buy a car that looks like a Porsche and it drives better and it is more reliable, if it was produced by someone else.
I can't say about the others -- I rather like Suhr, Tom Anderson, I definitely do not have your predilection for someone's name on the guitar -- but G&L was founded by Leo Fender, so even though it's "all but in name", it's still got his name on it in spirit. They're different than the others in that they're not clones. That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited:
Nothing nails strat tone like a strat. There is nothing wrong with getting something from the "other brand".

I can't say about the others -- I rather like Suhr, Tom Anderson, I definitely do not have your predilection for someone's name on the guitar -- but G&L was founded by Leo Fender, so even though it's "all but in name", it's still got his name on it in spirit. They're different than the others in that they're not clones. That's all I was trying to say.

I agree... G&L makes the most modern Leo Fender designed strat out there and is not a clone. Construction is right up there with what people on this forum would be used to as well. The new american elite's feel pretty nice too and are of a quality that is tolerable from the ones I have seen.

My one and only Strat is a first-year production Mexi-strat (SSS) (sold under the Fender-Squier brand), and to me it is a great strat - plays just as well as any more expensive version I came across. The pickups may not be the same as what you can find in the full-on models, but they do fine enough for me.

I recently got a 305 with maple neck/fretboard. Wow! it is probably the most strat-like PRS I have (SSS configuration, I suppose - my SAS with maple neck/fretboard is a great HSH-strat). However, it isn't quite the same as my mexi-strat - might be better for what I want, but isn't a 100% duplicate - the set neck and PRS 513 pickups will obviously be the main difference.

So if you want a PRS take on a Strat that doesn't look exactly like a strat, I suggest the 305 (or SAS for a HSH configuration). The EG certainly looks more like a strat than the 305 or SAS. Though the lack of Strat-positioned output jack (PRS uses their traditional spot) makes that part of the guitar look "naked" or that something is missing, and of course the headstock is all PRS. :shrug:

I dunno, I don't think I have helped.

Back