PRS SE DGT Demo from the very man himself...

There's really no point replacing the pickups in the SE guitars now. They're so good. I went to replace the nut with a graphtec and realized the stock one on my Paul's guitar wasn't a run of the mill plastic one and it made no difference. So just tuners..? Anyway they're so good and that DGT SE is going to do really well.

I have one. Tuners are fine. Nut is great. Trem is great. Guitar overall is really very good.

I do think the pickups are kind of dark and a little short on clarity and top end.
Split coils are kind of meh due to that unless you really mess with amp controls to get some brightness.
I have had several core DGTs so can really hear a difference in person.

In that video he is strictly on the bridge pickup into his DG30 which really cuts through nicely. Great match, but on cleans the pickups are kind of dull. Just my opinion.
Thinking of swapping them or changing pots or both.

I have one. Tuners are fine. Nut is great. Trem is great. Guitar overall is really very good.

I do think the pickups are kind of dark and a little short on clarity and top end.
Split coils are kind of meh due to that unless you really mess with amp controls to get some brightness.
I have had several core DGTs so can really hear a difference in person.

In that video he is strictly on the bridge pickup into his DG30 which really cuts through nicely. Great match, but on cleans the pickups are kind of dull. Just my opinion.
Thinking of swapping them or changing pots or both.
Changing pickups and pots would get you a lot of mileage. Which pickups were you thinking?

Changing pickups and pots would get you a lot of mileage. Which pickups were you thinking?
Any decent PAF design in 4 conductor. SD Seth lovers, Wolfetone Vintage, PRS 5708's, etc.
On the other hand I am learning to use the amp controls and a few effects better so probably I should just work with the stock pickups more.

Last edited:
Any decent PAF design in 4 conductor. SD Seth lovers, Wolfetone Vintage, PRS 5708's, etc.
On the other hand I am learning to use the amp controls and a few effects better so probably I should just work with the stock pickups more.
Keeping in the Grissom "zone"...perhaps the Duncan Pearly Gates ? A little hotter, still in the PAF zone though. I can say I have Wolfetone Legends in my S2 594 SC...and it sounds amazing. Clarity and balance, and more the sweeter side of the 57/08s in my McCarty.

I would leave the pickups alone and just do the wiring harness. You’ll notice a lot more clarity with accurate pots.

I would leave the pickups alone and just do the wiring harness. You’ll notice a lot more clarity with accurate pots.
I looked up the specs on the Alpha Volume pots. They are 500k with +/- 20% tolerance. It might make a difference if they are lower out of spec. I will try and measure them.

As luck would have it I just found a used DGT Core set at a not crazy price that I am going to grab and will see if they add that extra little bit of articulation that the SE DGT-S pickups are missing (at least to my ears). I will say, it might just be me.

The SE pickups are good.
Grissom is very high on them and states he does not feel there is a need for people to change them.

Update on the pickups. Have been adjusting the pickup pole piece height and overall height.
These are really very good. Not even sure I need to put in the DGT core set I have coming.

That’s good news, did you deviate from the PRS set up specs on their website?

Treble Pickup
2.5/32” [1.9mm] on the treble side.
3.5/32” [2.8mm] on the bass side.
Bass Pickup
3.5/32” [2.8 mm] on the treble side.
4.5/32” [3.6 mm] on the bass side.

Another great Demo and breakdown from an 'independent' and Respected magazine...

well worth watching if interested in the SE DGT

That’s good news, did you deviate from the PRS set up specs on their website?
Yes, ended up at just about 4/32 on treble and bass side on both the bridge and neck pickups.

Raised the D string pole piece on both of them to get even sound level string to string.

Back