PRS SE Custom springs question

Joseph T.

Hello,

I recently purchased a used PRS SE Custom. Interestingly enough, there are places for five springs in the back of the guitar but there were only four installed; the remaining one was in the gig bag. Do these come with only four installed and another one in the bag or do you think someone removed the center spring before I got it? Anyone know the effect having one less spring would have? Thanks in advance for the replies.

They come that way. The trem will be a little more responsive with 4 springs. Add the 5th spring and the bridge will stiffen up a bit.

Hello,

I recently purchased a used PRS SE Custom. Interestingly enough, there are places for five springs in the back of the guitar but there were only four installed; the remaining one was in the gig bag. Do these come with only four installed and another one in the bag or do you think someone removed the center spring before I got it? Anyone know the effect having one less spring would have? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Ultimately, the neck angle and string gauge determine how many springs hold the guitar in tune, and give you the tension you want. After hand surgery, I run 09`s and 4 springs in my tremolo guitars. Stays nicely in tune.

Mine came that way.
The SE trem stayed in tune perfectly. The CE not so much and I was suspecting the springs in that. I swapped both for MannMade since.
Another tip I just came across recently is if there is any stickiness: some machine oil where the trem edge hits the screws.

Back