PRS SE CUSTOM - Fake or Original???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GekFin, Apr 30, 2021.

1. GekFin

GekFin New Member

2. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

Both appear to be real PRS SE's. I am guessing they were made for the Asian Market. The Red one in Japan dates to 2020 appears to be in good shape. Although the Truss Rod Cover appears rater worn for such a new guitar. The Blue One is in Australia and appears to also be in good shape for its age (2012). Price seems a bit high including shipping, and you may have a long wait as these go through customs on both ends. Is there any SE's available in the EU that grab your attention?

GekFin, Alnus Rubra, bodia and 2 others like this.
  3. GekFin

GekFin New Member

I tried to see the number, but I didn't find anyone with that number . Are only American guitars registered? p.s. Sorry friends for my english!

4. Black-Viper75

Black-Viper75 New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with everything @Wakester said. You can get a brand new SE CU for less than the ones you posted here. I believe Thomann ships to Latvia. They have a very good reputation and customer service from what friends have told me. https://www.thomann.de/gr/prs_sg_models.html

5. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

The Serial number is on the back of the headstock just below the 2 lines that say it was made by World Instruments Corp. in Korea. If you purchase a PRS guitar, you can go to the main website to register that serial number. I would assume, if the guitar has already been registered, you would get a notification.

here is a link to help figure out the serial number date code:
    PRS Guitars | Year Identification

6. GekFin

GekFin New Member

Hello bro Black-Viper75! I heard about Thomann, but I want the guitar to be made in either the USA or Korea, don't want to be made in china or indonesia. What do you think about this? Best regards Igor(GekFin)

7. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

New SE models are made in a dedicated factory in Indonesia by CorTek. They’re great. I own a core Wood Library and just bought my second SE Zach Myers made in that factory. PRS SE acoustics and the Hollowbody are made in China and I hear are also great.

GekFin likes this.
  8. GekFin

GekFin New Member

Thank you Ovibos! I will search on European sites! Of course I want to buy a cool guitar from America, but I’m only 2000 $ for guitar(if I spend more, my wife will kill me!)

Alnus Rubra, dogrocketp and Ovibos like this.
  9. GekFin

GekFin New Member

Thank you friend!!!

dogrocketp and Wakester like this.
  10. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

Most of us have had those threats from our wives, but we're still alive and they still love us, even after we spend over the "limit" on a new guitar. Just be prepared to pay in some other way! :cool:

Good luck!

11. GekFin

GekFin New Member

I agree with you my friend! Only a guitarist can understand a guitarist! One love! Thank you bro!

12. Black-Viper75

Black-Viper75 New Member

I bought a 35th Anniversary SE CU24 about a year ago. It's made in Indonesia. It plays like a much more expensive guitar. The only problem was the nut giving me some tuning issues which I replaced and this made the instrument play and feel even better. You can see my thoughts on my 35th SE CU here https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-35th-anniversary-se-custom-24-my-review.43920/

This video will give an informative look at what goes on at the PRS SE Factory in Indonesia

I also happen to have an old Cort X-6 which is 20 years old. It was also made in Indonesia and still plays like a monster. Much better than other more expensive super strats that I've tried over the years. So in my experience I've been surprisingly very satisfied with both both of these Indonesia built guitars.

13. Brad737

Brad737 This space for rent...

Are fake SEs a thing?

14. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

15. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

It looks like the Korean line stopped in 2020, All solid body and Semi Hollows are now being made in Indonesia. Hollow Body and Acoustics are made in China.

GekFin likes this.
  16. GekFin

GekFin New Member

Hello friends! eventually I bought PRS S2 Custom 24 Anniv.SR (made in USA) from Thomman(Germany), What do you think about my choice. Seems like a good guitar!

17. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Great choice. Congrats on your S2!

GekFin and Black-Viper75 like this.
  18. GekFin

GekFin New Member

Thank you!

19. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

You're welcome!

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  20. Black-Viper75

Black-Viper75 New Member

Congratulations. You're going to love that guitar. Post some pictures when you get it.

GekFin and Alnus Rubra like this.