PRS SE Custom 24 vs Fender strat Kenny Wayne Shepherd sig

Blues Trucker

Hi all, I am trying to compare between an SE24 and a Strat KWS sig. Can anybody give me a ........ fair (I realize this is PS country, and there will be a bias) ...... rundown of the SE24 and a comparison to the Strat.
THXn advancefor any and all help.

Apples and oranges, really.

Different scale lengths, Mahogany body on PRS with Maple cap, Alder body on the Strat; different types of pickups (KWS has single coils, CU24 has humbuckers), maple (Strat) vs mahogany (CU24) necks, bolt on (Strat) vs set (PRS) neck...

All of these differences give the guitars vastly different tone.

You're talking about guitars that inhabit two different universes.

Last edited:
OK. I guess what I was trying to figure out is how is the quality of the SE. I understand it is built in Korea? Is this correct? Are these good guitars? Are the pickups any good? How do they sound?

OK. I guess what I was trying to figure out is how is the quality of the SE. I understand it is built in Korea? Is this correct? Are these good guitars? Are the pickups any good? How do they sound?

I don't think you'll find a better built guitar than an SE Custom 24; I have two. The stock pickups are great in my opinion and I play a lot of blues. You get a way stronger more full sound from the Custom 24's stock humbuckers. Zero noise. Three positions on the blade switch. This is the guitar that PRS first made, of course a Korean made version, modified over the years, etc., but a classic none the less. The trem on the SE's is superior to the vintage strat trem in my opinion. I have a bunch of strats, so I'm not going to put them down. A good HSS strat might be closer to the Custom 24 because of the humbucker, but the whole vibe is a different thing.

It sounds like you haven't had much exposure to PRS SE's. I think you would find it very rewarding to get a Custom 24 and groove on it, learn about it, play it thru a good amp.

The amp you are using is going to make a big difference. My SE's sound great thru my Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, as well as, of course, my Marshall DSL40C combo. I would say the Custom 24 is a very excellent guitar to begin with and whatever amp, pedals, etc., that you use could bring the sound of it out in different ways - like any guitar really.

Yes, they are very good guitars. The KWS strat is going to be another variation of the main strat theme, and nothing to scoff at I'm sure.

If you have a strat or strats already, why not try the SE Custom 24. You could find it to be a remarkable guitar, like many of us have.

Good luck. Don't worry, you'll be getting an awesome guitar if you get the SE Custom 24 - straight out of the box.

Here is a picture of one of mine (I put the pickup covers on, raw nickel silver total about a ten Philadelphia Luthier Tools).

The SE also offers a push-pull pot, splitting the buckets,so you can get nice single coil tones. But play them both, as you really are playing the two ends of the electric guitar spectrum.

The KWS is a good Strat, one of the only MIMs with a decent sized neck carve.

A lot of people (myself included) feel that they're among the finest guitars out there at anywhere near the money. But you really have to play any guitar to know if it's for you.

Back