PRS SE Custom 24 tone pull push knob too loose

Javier Roldan

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a new PRS SE Custom 24 and I'm delighted with the sound, feeling, action and look of my guitar.

However I feel the tone pull push knob much more easier to turn than the volume one.

Is it normal or is this a sympton of future problems? If it is not normal, can I tighten the knob by myself or I have to claim to the guitar shop?

Thank you very much and regards.

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a new PRS SE Custom 24 and I'm delighted with the sound, feeling, action and look of my guitar.

However I feel the tone pull push knob much more easier to turn than the volume one.

Is it normal or is this a sympton of future problems? If it is not normal, can I tighten the knob by myself or I have to claim to the guitar shop?

Thank you very much and regards.
It may be a characteristic of the pots. I have a CE24 within arms reach and the tone/push-pull is noticeably "smoother" to turn than the volume. I didn't run upstairs to check any other guitars though.

Oh, welcome to the Forum! And, congrats on your new PRS!!

Thank you very much for your really quick and kind response.

I'm much happier now that I know that it is a characteristic of the pot. :)

My SE Custom 24 is like that also. I thought about it a little after purchase, but it doesn't affect my life much as I rarely coil tap and don't touch the tone knob a ton.

I agree with bodia, it is the pot. The 2 se's I have are the same way. No issue with the pot's quality or operation.

Hi Javier and welcome,

I have a SE Standard 24 and the tone control is really loose. Hardly any resistance at all. A blow of wind would move it. I have suffered it up to now without it being a big problem but I intend to change it in the future. A temporary solution could be placing a rubber band under the knob to aid resistance in both positions. My guitar was made in Indonesia and bought second user, other than this minor issue I am really happy with it.

As you have bought new I think it would not be unreasonable to ask for a replacement guitar, or have the pot replaced if you are otherwise content?

Anyone know if the Indonesian factory uses the same hardware as the factory in Korea? Any cases for better or worse?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your responses. As I can see in your answers, it is a characteristic of the pot so no reason for worry about.

Hi Javier and welcome,

I have a SE Standard 24 and the tone control is really loose. Hardly any resistance at all. A blow of wind would move it. I have suffered it up to now without it being a big problem but I intend to change it in the future. A temporary solution could be placing a rubber band under the knob to aid resistance in both positions. My guitar was made in Indonesia and bought second user, other than this minor issue I am really happy with it.

As you have bought new I think it would not be unreasonable to ask for a replacement guitar, or have the pot replaced if you are otherwise content?

Anyone know if the Indonesian factory uses the same hardware as the factory in Indonesia? Any cases for better or worse?
I`ve had both the indonesian and the korean 24 fretter, still have the korean one. I`m absolutely convinced that the parts are sourced from local auppliers for each factory. I prefer the Korean one, but the SE Standard was a nice guitar. Definitely up to PRS standards, but at a lower price point.

I have the same problems with my push/pull pot that was installed on my SE when I installed Seyour Duncan pickups. I never use the tone pot, always play at 10, and it really bothers me that the pot often adjusts itself to other values.

My solution: I will just remove the push/pull tone pot and install a simple toggle switch for the coil splitting instead.

Resurrecting an old thread, picked up a Mark Holcomb SE and same issue, the tone pot has almost zero resistance and has a tiny amount of play, i can sort of wiggle the whole knob a tiny amount. Is this normal? The volume knob is rock solid.

I have the same question. Just bought a custom 24 SE for my daughter and the push pull pot seems loose I can wiggle it. Not sure if it needs to be tightened or that is the way it is

I went into the shop and tested another Mark Holcomb, exactly the same as mine, loose pot.

I don't use the tone knob but its annoying as i use the push/pull a bit and as there is almost zero resistance i move it a bit when doing this.

Sounds about right for a push/pull based on my experience.

You may consider the CTS full-size push/pull pot. It is noticeably stiffer to turn. I have them in two guitars and they still have a little slop to them, but so do the Core push/pulls. I'm thinking that the wiggle is just what you get from push/pulls.

I have a DiMarzio push/pull in another guitar. They are very well-regarded pots, so I'll have to see how the feel compares to my others.

If you buy a volume pot from the accessory store they’ll both have the same resistance.

Problem solved.

Hi, I received my Custom 24 and its tone dial has very little resistance too - especially compared to the volume dial. The volume dial feels really good to turn but the tone dial seems to lack the same quality feel. Is there a way of increasing the resistance so they are the same? I read sergiodeblanc's post but I wouldn't have thought you could swap the volume pot with the the push/pull style tone pot but I am happy for suggestions.

Back