PRS SE Custom 24 - Pinging noise is driving me crazy

HarthenOcarus

So when I bought my SE Custom 24 last year I probably should have done more research about the guitar, was definitely attracted by the looks (IMO PRS has some of the sexiest guitars out there) but really it plays like a gem. I love the feel of it, but one issue that's plagued me for a long time is this pinging sound when I palm mute on the A string, and from what I gathered, notoriously these guitars are known for their tuning instability. My other guitar, a Schecter, doesn't have either of these problems, and is 500$ cheaper.

But I don't want to give up on this guitar. I read all about how the nuts are awful on SE's, so I bought a TUSQ nut that I read was a direct replacement for the SE, took it to my only local guitar tech (from a very rural small town) and he claims it didn't fit, so he never put it on. Said he would get some in after Christmas and he'd let me know. It's now late March and he hasn't gotten back to me even after me messaging him asking if he has them. I don't want to give him any more business because he's just been ridiculous about this.

So I'm likely left in my own hands. Unfortunately I have no idea how to replace a nut so would my best option be to try and widen the slots in the stock nut? And how would one do this? I absolutely love this guitar and I don't want to give up on it.

Are you actually having trouble with tuning stability? I'm asking because you say the guitars are known for it, but you don't say you're actually having that issue.

I'm pretty much w/you on replacing a nut. I'm not afraid to whip out a screwdriver or a soldering iron or even a drill, but I feel like a nut is a little further than I'd like to go. Should you decide to attempt it, go slow - there have been reports that some of the SE nuts have been glued more heavily than others, which can lead to a bit of wood being torn out. Again, no experience with this, but I remember reading it somewhere. As for the nut slots, a set of nut files is probably the best way to do it, but short of those, I've read about people using thicker strings to widen the slots. Personally, I'd be inclined to use graphite, Big Nut Sauce, or some other acceptable lube first.

The pinging sound you describe sounds like a sympathetic vibration to me - like a loose screw or other part. Have you tried damping the trem springs (I'm assuming a trem on the guitar)?

Back