PRS SE custom 24 or gibson sg

I think the guitar division, will continue, but they will dismantle all the dysfunctional divisions separately,

as 1.2 million guitars were sold last year, it's estimated that Gibson sold close to a 1/3 to 1/2 of a million guitars.
there's no reason to think that those sales numbers will decline dramatically. it has been + or -10% of that number for 10 years,
so when corporate America can smell a profit they will not let a profitable unit or profitable division go away. it's all about the number of units that can be moved, at a 30 to 40% profit margin, that is a very successful division, the current thinking is a new owner will swoop in and buy the company's debt, essentially becoming the new owner, and will dismantle and reorganize the divisions.
it will be reformatted and and lifted as the prime jewel from the other 13 divisions that are failing.
certainly it will probably be a low turnaround year, they will streamline reboot, analyzing the profit and loss statement of that specific division.
separating divisions out of a corporation is painful.
I'm pretty sure you can continue to buy Gibsons,

Hello I'm checking this forum since a while and I can't find an answer.

I'm currently in GAS mode for a new guitar. I'm trying to decide if I take a PRS or a Gibson. My choice are PRS SE custom 24 or gibson sg standard .

I already have two guitar :
- Epiphone LP standard pro top plus : I like the sound but the pickup are muddy
- G&L legacy tribute : a strat

At first I was in love with my LP but I find the strat to be easier to play (scale length maybe?) But the I love the tone of my LP BUT (sorry again) I want a sound more precise.

So what to do ? Go with the SG and the same neck profile and length than the LP or go for the PRS wich feel different and don't have the LP sound ?

and what to think about a PRS S2 ? They are at xxxx euros here, the SG cost xxxx and the SE only xxx.

Help me decide please !
How long have you been playing guitar? This isn't meant to be negative in any way. For me, the first few years of my playing, the differences between an SE and S2 probably wouldn't have mattered or felt worth the extra money. Both are very nice guitars. My first thought by reading your post was get a Mira. I still need to get a Mira myself.

in an attempt to be fair and balanced in our biased forum, I've been playing the SG specials faded (minihumbuckers) in the guitar Center the last two or three visits,
I've been very intrigued with Gibson redesigned mini humbuckers, the extra articulation the extra string attack,a little extra brightness, and yet with gain, it sounds like a full massive humbucking guitar. for less than $1000. I almost bought it after playing it for an hour, and the particular one I had was just a beautiful piece of mahogany, I'm sure I would not have regretted buying it, but it was closing time. I exited with no purchase.

but I continued to see who else made mini humbucker's, lo and behold PRS does as well, I'm about to get my mini humbucker fix with a Paul's guitar, 2 mini-humbucker's, which is definitely out of your league pricewise.

I really didn't have a problem with the quality of the SG faded for that price, quite solid impressive amazing guitar, you can find the 2016, 2017 and 2018 model. I think they do come with 57 classics as well.
something to consider very flexible machine, but I do find my LP can cover most of it. the 24 3/4 scale, gives that unique Gibson sound.
I really liked the minihumbucker's, they are currently excellent.
it does sound to me like you would be much happier with the custom 22 version.
you might have a look at the CE 24, I also played that same day I was playing the SG, and they were very similar excellent rock and roll machine
good luck,

I really do think it's important to play the guitar's, your guitar will find you
with many of the online stores you get 14 days to return it, you just call them up and tell them, it didn't sound anything like you'd hoped it would , it just did not fit your playing style, and you need to return it no problems, I've done it twice, in my 40 to 50 guitar purchases, you just tell the online dealer it was horrible and you didn't like it, so check their return policy many of them have a no questions asked return policy all you have to do is pay the shipping usually, especially PRS dealers, try the PRS if you don't like it send it back,
99% guaranteed you won't send it back.

You're gonna love the Paul's Guitar!

thanks,
I am a tiny bit afraid the tone will be too unique, but after reading and viewing 42 different reviews,
It's worth a shot, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awesome!
I'm violating my own rule play the guitar first,
But Willcutts will probably let me exchange, If I don't like it.

what's the story on Paul's guitar it's not in the catalog anymore,
it's not an official core model anymore, back to the 408 only,
thanks.

Supposed to be here Thursday.

thanks,
I am a tiny bit afraid the tone will be too unique, but after reading and viewing 42 different reviews,
It's worth a shot, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awesome!
I'm violating my own rule play the guitar first,
But Willcutts will probably let me exchange, If I don't like it.

what's the story on Paul's guitar it's not in the catalog anymore,
it's not an official core model anymore, back to the 408 only,
thanks.

Supposed to be here Thursday.

I didn't gel with my 408 for that reason. Too unique. I don't find the Paul's to be that way at all. Or, my tastes have changed. I find it a blast to play.

I was trying to figure out if the tremolo made any tonal differences, on youtube. does not seem to. perhaps sustain.
what's the configuration of the 408 you had
what's the configuration of the PG you have trem or no trem
when I see there's multiple necks whats your neck configurations.
cheers

How long have you been playing guitar? This isn't meant to be negative in any way. For me, the first few years of my playing, the differences between an SE and S2 probably wouldn't have mattered or felt worth the extra money. Both are very nice guitars. My first thought by reading your post was get a Mira. I still need to get a Mira myself.

Not that much actually, only one year :)
And still in love with both the instrument and the music I'm doing (or trying to do :) ).

So it's over ! I bought online a SE custom 22 Vintage sunburst. I can't try the se or the s2 there, so I'm not even sure I will like them when I got them so less money spend less issue later I think and like you said : I'm not sure I will hear or feel the difference between a SE and s2. I will start with this one and if I love it the s2 will come to my house :) or a core :)

Anyway, thanks everybody for your help, I will post some pics when I got her :) finally all issue related to quality with Gibson killed my desire. And after hearing hours of PRS guitar I prefer the sound of them

The wait is already killing me.... and I have to say goodbye to a strat (I'm not playing it) in the meantime.

And still in love with both the instrument and the music I'm doing (or trying to do :) ).

So it's over ! I bought online a SE custom 22 Vintage sunburst. I can't try the se or the s2 there, so I'm not even sure I will like them when I got them so less money spend less issue later I think and like you said : I'm not sure I will hear or feel the difference between a SE and s2. I will start with this one and if I love it the s2 will come to my house :) or a core :)

Anyway, thanks everybody for your help, I will post some pics when I got her :) finally all issue related to quality with Gibson killed my desire. And after hearing hours of PRS guitar I prefer the sound of them

The wait is already killing me.... and I have to say goodbye to a strat (I'm not playing it) in the meantime.
good job, super excellent value, you're going to love it, the neck pickup, is extra beautiful on that guitar, it will be very similar to a really good SG.
it is the exact same pickup as the S2 uses, you're absolutely right you won't be able to tell the difference but you're going to save $700.
and the tremolo. fun fun fun

cheers

It might be a good investment to buy a Gibson of the last year of the brand existence...

They'll come back. The CEO just wrote an article complaining the creditors were trying to take over the company. Frankly I hope someone who knows and loves guitars buys them out, and they start from scratch building quality working musician's instruments again (none of this lifestyle brand stuff)

Although you would be right if they sent production to asia

see if this keeps you occupied for few minutes, hes just tearing up custom 22 SE nice crunchy tone, first 4 minutes awesome tone

I was trying to figure out if the tremolo made any tonal differences, on youtube. does not seem to. perhaps sustain.
what's the configuration of the 408 you had
what's the configuration of the PG you have trem or no trem
when I see there's multiple necks whats your neck configurations.
cheers

The 408 was trem and a rosewood neck. The Paul's is also a trem, but has a hog neck. I'm not 100%, but I think the Paul's body is thicker. Seems that way to me. I haven't had the 408 for almost two years, so I may be a little fuzzy on the details. I assume that the neck pickup on both the 408 and the Paul's are the same. Obviously, the bridge on the Paul's is narrower, but I don't know (or don't remember) how they differ from a tonal standpoint.

I can say this; I didn't have a second thought moving on from the 408. I'd be hard pressed to move my Paul's.

The 408 was trem and a rosewood neck. The Paul's is also a trem, but has a hog neck. I'm not 100%, but I think the Paul's body is thicker. Seems that way to me. I haven't had the 408 for almost two years, so I may be a little fuzzy on the details. I assume that the neck pickup on both the 408 and the Paul's are the same. Obviously, the bridge on the Paul's is narrower, but I don't know (or don't remember) how they differ from a tonal standpoint.

I can say this; I didn't have a second thought moving on from the 408. I'd be hard pressed to move my Paul's.
WE slightly side tracked the thread but he has purchased too.
this is the video that broke the camels back, I was saying if I can get anything like this, WOW. ORDER it.

This video sheesh! Pauls Guitar

I have 3 LPs (Custom, Plus and Studio) and 2 PRS core models (McCarty, CU24), so I'm fond of both brands. In 2016 I bought a SG Classic and after giving just under a year to grow on me, I ended up selling it for a loss of around $400. The SG I had bought was my pick out of around a dozen I tried. It was very neck heavy (go figure). I thought it would grow on me,but it never did. However it did sound good, just not enough to get me to keep it.

Yeah!

The guy that does this video for MF always gets me too.

yeah Brian, he's the number one hit in searches, for PRS guitars, I think he may have played every single PRS guitar model on the planet.
he is almost always the first one I listen to, Google's preferred search algorithm.
The other one is an international dude so you have to do a deep search to arrive at Tomi kim.

Brian got me interested in Tommi put me over the top.

I
There’s no better source of advice on what kind of guitar you should buy than a bunch of complete strangers on the internet, whose tastes you are completely unfamiliar with, and who know nothing about you and how you play! :eek:

Especially if, like us, those complete strangers are fans of a particular brand of guitar, and will do their best to enable you to buy their favored brand.

Of course you should buy the PRS! ;)
I am still laughing at the wit and wisdom of your post - thanks Les !

Back