PRS SE Custom 24 nickel hardware corrosion/oxidation

miroslav3d

Hello everybody
I recently bought my first dream guitar PRS. It was three months ago.
Its SE Custom 24 tabaco sunburst but it is second handed. I am her second owner.
It is like new one because he wasnt playing on that too often. I am really excited in learning to play guitar and I play really often and long. About 3-4 hours everyday.
BUT ... I noticed THIS yesterday
yL8ego.jpg

Its starting rusting or oxidating. Would you help me with that to clean it up or to prevent ? I am cleaning my sweat everytime after my practice session.

This is my first cheap Ibanez Gio
AQ7hby.jpg

And I dont wanna that my PRS will look like this.

Thank you for advice :) Greeetings from Slovakia.
cWdgTC.jpg

To be honest, if your old guitar did it, and the new one is doing it after just 3 months, although you do play 3-4 hrs per day, then it is "you", not the guitar. You probably have a body chemistry that just makes your sweat a little more acidic than others.

The SE bridge may be more prone to this than a core model (speculation on my part), but I would bet even a core model would do the same for you eventually.

You will probably just have to be more diligent in clean up after playing, and maybe wipe down the guitar while you play, between songs or something. By wiping down afterwards you are still giving your acidic sweat 3 or 4 hours to etch into the metal, over and over...

How long do your strings last?

I had a friend that gave me $5 or $10 to buy new strings every time he played one of my guitars. No matter how well I cleaned up the strings after he played, they would corrode as though they were years old sitting in a damp closet. I can (and do) play a set of strings for years and they won't have a hint of oxidation. But hand the guitar to my acid-filled friend for even half an hour, and a new set would have to be strung within days.

Nickel plating oxidizes, like silver, and PRS plates with a combination of both. It'll polish up with Flitz or other metal polishes. PRS has info on this on their support page, here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/care.html

"We use a nickel/silver combination to plate our hardware. While this plating does not wear as well as chrome plating, the tonal qualities of nickel/silver are far superior. We have found that Blue Magic Liquid Metal Polish works very well in removing tarnish from our nickel hardware. Other mag wheel polishes also work well. These products can be found at most auto parts stores."

Yes, that's a bit of a problem and the only thing I can think of to try is to use a clean rag or paper towel with a light spray of WD-40 on it and wipe the areas you've touched after cleaning off any residue. Then I would try Les' suggestion with the Blue Magic Liquid Metal Polish.

To be honest, if your old guitar did it, and the new one is doing it after just 3 months, although you do play 3-4 hrs per day, then it is "you", not the guitar. You probably have a body chemistry that just makes your sweat a little more acidic than others.

The SE bridge may be more prone to this than a core model (speculation on my part), but I would bet even a core model would do the same for you eventually.

You will probably just have to be more diligent in clean up after playing, and maybe wipe down the guitar while you play, between songs or something. By wiping down afterwards you are still giving your acidic sweat 3 or 4 hours to etch into the metal, over and over...

How long do your strings last?

I had a friend that gave me $5 or $10 to buy new strings every time he played one of my guitars. No matter how well I cleaned up the strings after he played, they would corrode as though they were years old sitting in a damp closet. I can (and do) play a set of strings for years and they won't have a hint of oxidation. But hand the guitar to my acid-filled friend for even half an hour, and a new set would have to be strung within days.

Haha i dont think that it is so horrible with me as you descibe that story about your friend :) ... I change strings maybye every 2-3 months ... I use Dunlop Ultraglide 65 String Cleaner after every practice session ... clean hole body of guitar with dry microfiber cloth and some cleanup of bridge with leather cloth ... after couple of minutes i clean strings and any excess of Dunlop 65 on my fretboard and guitar is going back to my PRS SE bag.
So I am trying to take care of it but you see ... Hope that some metal polish will work i dont know

Haha i dont think that it is so horrible with me as you descibe that story about your friend :) ... I change strings maybye every 2-3 months ... I use Dunlop Ultraglide 65 String Cleaner after every practice session ... clean hole body of guitar with dry microfiber cloth and some cleanup of bridge with leather cloth ... after couple of minutes i clean strings and any excess of Dunlop 65 on my fretboard and guitar is going back to my PRS SE bag.
So I am trying to take care of it but you see ... Hope that some metal polish will work i dont know

Sounds like you're doing more than enough to care for it; in fact, I wouldn't use string cleaners like that, just a cloth to wipe down the strings is sufficient. Too many chemicals on the fretboard can cause issues, too.

I have the same on one of my second hand SE`s, in exactly the same spot. Your body acidity has eaten through the finish on the metal. I`m an optician, and we see this all the time on Chinese metal eyeglass frames. I`d recommend a couple of coats of car wax, re-applied regularly. I rewax my bridge every month or so. You don`t have to do the whole bridge, just where it makes contact with your skin. Don`t worry, unless the surface starts to get very rough. At that point, it`s replacement time.

Last edited:
My Custom 24 core model did the same after playing 6 months. But my Fender chrome plating looks new after 35 years and my strings last a long time. So I sent this photo to PRS and they said it is not a defect, their plating is thinner and can wear off. Anyway it looks "loved" so enjoy it!

IMG_8604_ACsmall_zpskx2nboxb.jpg

I love how nickel ages with use over time. Learn to embrace it and make it a bond with your guitar.

My Custom 24 core model did the same after playing 6 months. But my Fender chrome plating looks new after 35 years and my strings last a long time. So I sent this photo to PRS and they said it is not a defect, their plating is thinner and can wear off. Anyway it looks "loved" so enjoy it!

IMG_8604_ACsmall_zpskx2nboxb.jpg

Exactly. Chrome is a much harder plating than nickel, and when it wears, it tends to flake. Paul Smith prefers nickel for reasons of tone (how he hears this stuff is a matter of legend ;)), but that's what nickel does.

I actually prefer the warmer color of nickel-silver plating to the bluish cast of chrome, but WTF do I know?

Always a bummer to see on your new guitar! But, some people's bodies are just that way. I also had a friend who could trash a guitar after a few hours of playing - not saying you're that bad, by any means, my point is just that everyone's different.

And, yes, you've probably worn through the plating on that bridge. You might be able to get some of the oxidation off and smooth it a little, but it probably won't ever be shiny and new looking in that spot. It's a heartache, but every well loved guitar gets its battle scars!

You can't play 'em and keep 'em brand-new forever. It'd be like having a car and not driving it because the tires will get worn (and yes, I know folks who are indeed that anal about their show cars, and only move them by trailer).

So, I learned this trick polishing the chrome on a motorcycle….
I have the same issue with rust on bridge nearly every time I play.

I take a small piece of aluminum foil and ball it up and use like sand paper. It will remove the rust without scratching the bridge.

Back