PRS SE Custom 24 - Grey black?

Surge

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first PRS and wanted to consult the wise people of the forum first before going ahead with the purchase.

I'm looking for an SE Custom 24 in grey black with the bird inlays but these for some reason are a lot harder to come by. The ones that are in stock have the regular dots. Has this model been discontinued in this particular colour or am I missing something here?

Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first PRS and wanted to consult the wise people of the forum first before going ahead with the purchase.

I'm looking for an SE Custom 24 in grey black with the bird inlays but these for some reason are a lot harder to come by. The ones that are in stock have the regular dots. Has this model been discontinued in this particular colour or am I missing something here?

Thanks

Bird inlays, bevelled top, blade switch and push-pull coil split are features found on newer 2012/2013 models. if you look closely, those aren't just regular dots, they're actually mother-of-pearl crescent moons. Yes, you heard that, MOP. Some people actually favour it over the newer bird inlays that are made from acrylic. If it has a flat top and a 3 way toggle switch instead of blade switch, it's probably a pre-2011 model. While this is just a big maybe, it might be a special run model only available sometimes through certain retailers. If you can provide us with the serial number behind it's headstock, we could give you more info on which year it's made.

Yes that's the one. I've seen it on several US website but as I am located in Australia these aren't too common here apparently.

Musician's Friend will have some in stock 27 March. It's an exclusive color for them. I've bought all my guitars on line from them and sweetwater.com.
Have had no issues with any of them.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029
Thanks for the info. It's a shame that stores such as Sweetwater don't ship most gear to Australia otherwise I would be all over that. I've generally found that guitars aren't worth importing in from the US if they are sub ~$1500 otherwise it may be worth using a forwarding service.

Bird inlays, bevelled top, blade switch and push-pull coil split are features found on newer 2012/2013 models. if you look closely, those aren't just regular dots, they're actually mother-of-pearl crescent moons. Yes, you heard that, MOP. Some people actually favour it over the newer bird inlays that are made from acrylic. If it has a flat top and a 3 way toggle switch instead of blade switch, it's probably a pre-2011 model. While this is just a big maybe, it might be a special run model only available sometimes through certain retailers. If you can provide us with the serial number behind it's headstock, we could give you more info on which year it's made.
Thanks a lot for the information! This knowledge proved to be very useful yesterday when I went into the store to buy the guitar. After having a close look I ended up going for the Tobacco Sunburst and am expecting delivery before the Easter break.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back