PRS SE Custom 24 (85/15s) - Neck pickup problem

hydeinthesky

Good day everyone

I'm hydeinthesky from the Philippines

I have a new PRS SE Custom 24 Burled Ashtop. I purchased it 6 days ago at Lyric Music Store (The Official Distributor of PRS in the Philippines), and I'm enjoying playing it, then yesterday i got a problem on my neck pickup, in Humbucker mode it sounds like a single coil. Now if I switch to Single coil there is no sound, when I turn it back to Humbucker mode and change it to clean channel, the sound is like has a overdrive on it, but when I change it to mid and bridge pickup it sounds okay.

Then what I do is I switch the cable that connects from my multi effects pedal going to my fender amp to the cable that connects my guitar to the amplifier, it's okay at first then suddenly it happends again, I checked the cable on my amp and it's not properly inserted, then I fix it and it's okay again.

The next day I played my SE Custom 24 again for 2 hours, I paused for a moment and turn down the volume knob cause I'm talking to someone on my phone then when I turn the volume up, I happends again, i checked the cable and it's properly connected to the amp, then I turn my amp off then open it again it's still the same, then I turn off my amp again, remove the cable and connect it again, then I turn on my amp and there it goes it's okay again.

Now I'm getting worried because the guitar is brand new, fresh from the store, and after a week, a problem on the neck pickup shows up, I don't know if there is a problem on the pickup or just on my cable, does someone here has the same experience on their SE Custom 24? Can I hear your thoughts about this?

Thanks and regards

Do you have another guitar to check and make sure once more the problem is not from the cable or the amp or the other?
Because it involves many factors, including your multi fx.

I also just bought PRS SE Custom about a week ago, fortunately there was no problem with the pickup.

But i experienced it when i bought a new Epi Les Paul a few years ago.
The bridge pickup sometime loose the gain, sometime it back to normal. While the neck pickup is totally fine.
So i tried to run the same setup (cables, amp, fx) with different guitar. And i found everything just fine.

Exactly as Evans expected in your case, mine was the wiring defect.
If you found the same thing, then you need to contact the dealer soon.

Good day Everyone

I just went to the guitar store today and and I let them checkup my custom 24, they try it first and the neck pickup seems find, they open the back of my guitar to check the wirings, the everything seams to be okay, what they do is they clean up the wirings and the 3 switch toggle, the also fix the strings action at the neck though there is no problem on that they just want to fix it, I will try the guitar again later and play it again for 2 hours if the problem still insist, if it is I will check everything, from cables, to my multi-fx, and also the extension cord that I used, I hope that the cleaning they did will fix the problem.

Hi Everyone

I played my PRS SE Custom 24 again today, and I found out is the problem is when I switch from Middle pickup to Neck pickup, when the problem occurs, I tried touch the switch harder for it to fix but sometimes the problem is still occur. it maybe a wiring problem or the 3 way switch problem.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your dealer would help to do some repairment or you might take it to reputable guitar workshop.

I send a message to Lyric's Main branch manager, I'm still waiting for their reply, I also contact a famous guitar workshop here in the Philippines, but I'm will waiting for Lyric first they might give me a location for their workshop if they have one.

Good Day Everyone

Sorry for the late response, my PRS SE Custom 24 Burled Ash Top has been fixed by the Lyric Music Store, there is a lose wire on the neck pickup they immediately fix it.

Thanks everyone
Happy to hear it was an easy fix! Rock on!

I’m really surprised they didn’t find that right away. I was gonna guess that as a soon as I read your first post. Glad it’s fixed though. I got one in Trampas green last month. It’s such a great guitar.

I’m really surprised they didn’t find that right away. I was gonna guess that as a soon as I read your first post. Glad it’s fixed though. I got one in Trampas green last month. It’s such a great guitar.

Yeah, I think it's the store inspector who has fault on it, Haha I think that they prioritize the US lines as many famous local artist go to their store just to get a core line or the silver sky.

Hey. I just posted a similar thread here too. I was having problems with the neck pickup cutting out on my brand new Se Standard 24. Turns out it had a faulty Toggle switch. My guitar tech is putting a higher quality one in today. It seems that the SE models are great but some of the electronics arent the best. Not quite your problem but it seems similar.

Hey. I just posted a similar thread here too. I was having problems with the neck pickup cutting out on my brand new Se Standard 24. Turns out it had a faulty Toggle switch. My guitar tech is putting a higher quality one in today. It seems that the SE models are great but some of the electronics arent the best. Not quite your problem but it seems similar.
Hi Glenn

I think that's the problem on SEs but I think this kind of problem are can be solve, I hope your SE will be okay, compare to affordable line of other big guitar brands, SE are the best, I have owned 2 strat-copy guitars and also hold a Squire Bullet and Affinity, SE are the best, my experience on PRS SE makes me want a core line, if this SE are this good, how about the core lines. I'm very happy right now ^^

Hi Glenn

I think that's the problem on SEs but I think this kind of problem are can be solve, I hope your SE will be okay, compare to affordable line of other big guitar brands, SE are the best, I have owned 2 strat-copy guitars and also hold a Squire Bullet and Affinity, SE are the best, my experience on PRS SE makes me want a core line, if this SE are this good, how about the core lines. I'm very happy right now ^^

Yes happy ending for me. I just got my guitar back from the tech. He put in an American made switch made for the Core Standard 24 models. Honestly the difference between the two is huge. I know a switch is a small thing but it really has made the guitar much better. The output is solid and stable now.

Yes happy ending for me. I just got my guitar back from the tech. He put in an American made switch made for the Core Standard 24 models. Honestly the difference between the two is huge. I know a switch is a small thing but it really has made the guitar much better. The output is solid and stable now.
Thanks good to hear ^^ happy rockin bro!!!

Thanks good to hear ^^ happy rockin bro!!!

I'm getting the neck pickup problem again, I think I need to change my blade switch to, too bad I'm living in the Philippines, I can't get any core switch here, probably I have to find a another brand that is compatible on my SE Custom 24.

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a new S2 McCarty 594 and the neck pickup was cutting out, sometimes sounding distorted and at times very weak. the dealer told me to take to a luthier. It was not working when I brought it in to the shop. He inspected the cavity and it started working. He could not get it to cut out or act up. Pretty tough to trouble shoot when it is working. He suggested replacing the pots and wiring.

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a new S2 McCarty 594 and the neck pickup was cutting out, sometimes sounding distorted and at times very weak. the dealer told me to take to a luthier. It was not working when I brought it in to the shop. He inspected the cavity and it started working. He could not get it to cut out or act up. Pretty tough to trouble shoot when it is working. He suggested replacing the pots and wiring.

Hi tsaa

That was why i experience on my SE, they told me it's the wiring, but what I did is I replaced my 3 way blade switch with CRL and it's working fine until now, does the neck pickup got the same problem? If you dial the volume and tone knob making it fix?

The pickups were not to my liking. During the change out I was removing tone pots and a wire just fell off. I am guessing that was the problem. A bad solder joint.

Back