PRS SE Custom 24 (35th Ann) tuning issues

Duke_Silver

I just got a SE 35th anniversary C24, only issue is thing doesn't stay in tune. At the store t I asked the guitar tech to lower the action for me (after bringing it home and playing it for some time I realize he lowered it a little too much)
Should I take it to a guitar tech and get it setup properly? Any advice from anyone who's had a similar problem?

Thanks

Hi. Both of those issues are pretty easy fixes. The nuts on the SE's seem to be cut a little tight, so that the strings tend to stick after bending or trem use, which leaves them out of tune. A little graphite in the slots allow the strings to move more freely. Or you can widen the slots with a folded piece of sand paper or an old guitar string of the same gauge as the slot. You have to be careful to widen without cutting the slot deeper. Raising the action is as easy as raising the saddles on the bridge with the supplied allen wrench. There is a lot of info right here on the forum about these kind of jobs, and also at the PRS support page.
If you choose to use a tech, I would make sure they're familiar with the PRS tremolo system.

I just got a SE 35th anniversary C24, only issue is thing doesn't stay in tune. At the store t I asked the guitar tech to lower the action for me (after bringing it home and playing it for some time I realize he lowered it a little too much)
Should I take it to a guitar tech and get it setup properly? Any advice from anyone who's had a similar problem?

Thanks
First off congrats on that beautiful guitar. I'm having a similar problem. I'm having tuning issues with the G string on my new 35th Anniversary SE CU. Give us an update on what you tried and if it worked. I'm thinking of changing the nut on my first string change.

Thanks! And you too!

Yeah I ended up taking it to a luthier as I didn't want to experiment on it too much myself. He mentioned the nut needs to be adjusted (loosened) among other things.

Will get it back in a few days and shoot an update.

I have that same guitar myself.
If you care to spend like $99, you can get a set of 6 locking tuners, original PRS and easy to swap for between $85-105 last I checked.

Thanks! And you too!

Yeah I ended up taking it to a luthier as I didn't want to experiment on it too much myself. He mentioned the nut needs to be adjusted (loosened) among other things.

Will get it back in a few days and shoot an update.

Well, I'd rather save the money for those locking tuners but... Done is done.
The action should be very easy to correct if it is already adjusted too low. Just raise it back up!
It's a different story if you have to raise the strings too much and end up with a (for me at least) unplayable piece of cra... something.

No need to change the nut. Also I wouldn't recommend using the graphite approach, as most pencils are cheaply produced and contain lots of stuff that may
have an opposite effect, and cause string breakage and nut damage. Just use that firm lip balm stick (wax) you get everywhere and apply it using a tooth-pick in the cracks on the nut and on other contact points along the
strings travel. Also, you might try switching string gauge to using 10's if you use 9's that the SE's usually comes with. That made a huge difference for me. No more trouble with buzzing or anything, and can keep the action much lower because of the increased tension.

Had to adjust the tremolo a bit and fix the intonation, but after that it was and is perfectissimo!

Never knew that about pencil lead
If you buy high quality, pure graphite sticks, sure that is usable. Point being that your average pencil contains a lot more than graphite, and the graphite they do contain is low-quality amorphous graphite from China.

This doesn't have the lubricating properties of pure graphite. The other "stuff" they put into the mix can have various properties, amongst other the things I mentioned.

Last edited:
Back