PRS SE Custom 24 3 way blade switch issue

osterior

Good day all!

I recently joined the PRS family when i bought a new SE Custom 24 in sapphire blue in Aug-2020 with 3 way blade switch with coil split.

Superb guitar all round and it was working superbly until today, i noticed something's not quite right with the volume level coming out the neck humbucker.

3 way switch position:
  • 1 = bridge humbucker
  • 2 = both humbucker
  • 3 = neck pickup

In clean channel, both position 1 and 2 has 100% volume but in position 3, i could not hear my neck humbucker.

However in dirty channel, both position 1 and 2 also has 100% volume but in position 3, i could hear low volume at about 20%.

Since at position 2 where both neck and bridge humbucker are activated and i can hear 100% volume, this means the humbuckers are ok.

Hence, i narrowed down to the 3 way blade switch. And since i have thought of changing the swtich from 3 to 5 way and removing the push/pull pots. Plus throw in some CTS pots and switchcraft jack into the mix at the same time.

Is there any standard wiring diagram I can referred to (my objective is to retain current config but change from 3 to 5 way blade switch with push/pull pot remove)?

5 way switch position with no coil split:
  • 1 = bridge humbucker
  • 2 = bridge screw coil
  • 3 = both bridge and neck humbucker
  • 4 = neck screw coil
  • 5 = neck humbucker

Since at position 2 where both neck and bridge humbucker are activated and i can hear 100% volume, this means the humbuckers are ok.

Not necessarily - you may be hearing the full volume from the bridge pickup. Try this - with the neck pup only, tap a pole piece with something metal. Then switch to both and tap the same pole piece. Then tap a pole piece on the bridge. I'm betting you'll hear a difference between the pups.

Thanks for your reply, i tried as you suggested with a metal screwdriver and below are my findings.

Position 1 (bridge humbucker): loud tug sound when tapped on bridge pup and nothing from neck
Position 2 (both humbuckers): both bridge and neck has loud tug sound when tapped
Position 3 (neck humbuckers): soft faint tug sound when tapped on neck pup and nothing from bridge.

Not necessarily - you may be hearing the full volume from the bridge pickup. Try this - with the neck pup only, tap a pole piece with something metal. Then switch to both and tap the same pole piece. Then tap a pole piece on the bridge. I'm betting you'll hear a difference between the pups.

Hi Garret, thanks for the diagram, this will be great help when i wire them up.

Today, when i tried again to see if the neck pup at neck position works and it worked for a while.

Once i engage the push/pull pots and after that it goes dead again. Maybe that the root cause of the issue.

But i can't be bothered with it as i am moving to a 5 way switch with 2 CTS pots and switchcraft jack.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23062-mod-garage-a-flexible-dual-humbucker-wiring-scheme

This diagram uses Seymour Duncan colors, so make note of the wires on the stock pickups. You may need to change one or both of the splits to hot or ground to get screw coil when split.

Hi Garret, thanks for the diagram, this will be great help when i wire them up.

Today, when i tried again to see if the neck pup at neck position works and it worked for a while.

Once i engage the push/pull pots and after that it goes dead again. Maybe that the root cause of the issue.

But i can't be bothered with it as i am moving to a 5 way switch with 2 CTS pots and switchcraft jack.
Maybe you're sending the split to ground by accident?

Good day all!

I recently joined the PRS family when i bought a new SE Custom 24 in sapphire blue in Aug-2020 with 3 way blade switch with coil split.

Superb guitar all round and it was working superbly until today, i noticed something's not quite right with the volume level coming out the neck humbucker.

3 way switch position:
  • 1 = bridge humbucker
  • 2 = both humbucker
  • 3 = neck pickup

In clean channel, both position 1 and 2 has 100% volume but in position 3, i could not hear my neck humbucker.

However in dirty channel, both position 1 and 2 also has 100% volume but in position 3, i could hear low volume at about 20%.

Hence, i narrowed down to the 3 way blade switch. And since i have thought of changing the swtich from 3 to 5 way and removing the push/pull pots. Plus throw in some CTS pots and switchcraft jack into the mix at the same time.

Is there any standard wiring diagram I can referred to (my objective is to retain current config but change from 3 to 5 way blade switch with push/pull pot remove)?

5 way switch position with no coil split:
  • 1 = bridge humbucker
  • 2 = bridge screw coil
  • 3 = both bridge and neck humbucker
  • 4 = neck screw coil
  • 5 = neck humbucker
I had this problem, too. In my case the issue suddenly popped up. Turned out the blade switch went bad. I took it apart to see what's wrong. I don't quite remember mechanical details. I managed to make it work (sort of...) , but it wasn't stable. Ended up buying new one.

BTW, this switch is very poorly made.

Back