PRS SE Custom 22

PRkFJM5.png

A rather tasteful shade of blue. The SE Custom 22 is only available in blue or sunburst light orange to yellow and I will indeed play the bruise.

The neck pickup, coil split and the guitar volume turned down to around 5 gives a great 'sitting down' blues sound (that sound you want if you are just getting together for a bit of a quiet blues jam) and sounds better than both my strats, then rolling the volume up full brings in the grunt and makes you want to stand up and play.

The bridge pickup is a little bright for my liking, probably going to change that for a Seymour Duncan JB.

It`s a real beauty. Play around with the both the pickup height and pole piece height before you replace it. I did that to a Singlecut SE trem and it sounded amazing.

I'm not going to change the pickup just yet, I started playing through this instead of my Marshall TSL2000 and it's made a big difference.
FVWlzie.jpg

Great looking guitar! Sad that i'm not into blue & orange and there're too little colors to choose from. :-/
Show us some video!

Coil split? This isn't listed on the spec sheet for the SE Custom 22. I'm looking to buy in the UK also. Is this factory or after market mod? Whale blue looks killer too.

You are correct, coil split isn't listed on the spec, but it does have a coil split that works on both pickups via the tone pot which is a pull / push pot. I took this out and added two mini switches, one for each pickup. This enables me to have the bridge on full humbucker, then switch to neck single coil by just flipping the pickup selector without having to jank the tone pot - which was a little stiff and was a bit of a faff. The stock tone furnace pickups in the SE have a very good single coil sound.

The overall build quality of this guitar is excellent. I have read criticism of Paul Reed Smith for apparently 'selling out' and getting these guitars made in Korea. I disagree, by doing so he has brought the brand into an affordable price bracket; it is a fraction of the price of it's big brothers, but not a fraction of the quality.

I do not regret anything about buying this guitar and it has taken over from my USA Strat as my main guitar now. You won't regret it either.

Hi Peter. Many thanks for the confirmation. Was thinking about giving this a miss until I saw your post mentioning coil split which is something I don't already have on my SE Singlecut. I wish there were more colour options but I heard PRS are discontinuing the SE Custom 22 again so this might be my last chance to get one as I regret selling my 2006 model. I wonder why they don't list the coil split in the specs though, seems like a feature people would want to know about. Anyway, thanks again!

Hey I recently bought the SE Custom 22 as well but the push-pull-poti is definitely missing. No way to pull this knob.
Since I watched the Epic Deals episode (Andertons Music's youtube-channel) about this guitar and it had this feature as well I'm quite confused o_O I'd love to have it

Do you think they just messed with mine or is anyone else out there having the same problem?

Don't get me wrong this guitar is amazing anyway but I want this plus on versatility

Last edited:
What retailer did you get it from? Older stock is a potential explanation I guess and maybe why it's not listed on specs. I got a vintage sunburst from Andertons a week ago and it has the coil split on the tone pot - I'm not that taken with the split sounds though so will prob never use it, which sucks as it was the justification for the purchase. I like the bridge pickup on its own but because it's so hot it makes the neck sound out of balance when switching. This may the first guitar I swap pups on, it's still early days though.

hey thanks for the quick answer
I ordered mine 11 days ago from Andertons as well in whale blue
It was built in 2016 (checked the time code on prs customer service website - https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/year.html - Prefix Letter "Q")
This is some weird stuff

Which potential pups are you thinking about? And which kinds of music you want to go for?

I play 90s rock mostly and some heavier stuff. I wouldn't want to spend a fortune on new pickups just after buying a new guitar but the SD JB/Jazz set seems reasonably priced and probably a safe option for a first time mod (although the SD whole lotta humbucker set intrigues me too). I will adjust the pickup heights of the stock pups before I decide, but I'm curious to see if installing pups myself is achievable.

well I hope you'll get the tone you desire - maybe you can keep us up to date about your progress

by the way I got some new info
I talked to Andertons who talked to PRS themselves and got following statement:
"The factory in Korea made a mistake on their initial batch and installed coil taps on several hundred guitars which were then shipped around the world, since then the mistake has been rectified and all PRS SE Custom 22s since have been made without the coil tap."

Bad luck for me :( but at least it's assured that I can upgrade the tone poti and get the coilsplit myself without too much effort (unlike it would be trying to do this with a 2-conductor humbucker)

It would be nice if you could post a picture of your electronics box showing the wiring (I gonna try finding a fitting wiring sheet as well in addition)

Kind regards

Back