I just got the above mentioned guitar this past week, and the top switch position has no sound at all. I'm extremely new to guitars, so I have no clue what it could be. I have a cheap, old amp and cable that I'm using that were given to me 12 years ago when I was thinking about learning, so I'm not sure if that could be an issue? The mid and bottom positions both work fine, it's just the top. Are there any things I can troubleshoot without driving 2 hours to the closest guitar tech?

clean the terminals on your switch. If you have some electronic components cleaner it will work. Just be careful not to let it get on the finish. Put a paper towel around the switch. If you don't have any cleaner, rub the terminals with OOO steal wool. Sometimes you can just flick the switch back and forth a bunch of times and get the switch to make contact.

New or used?

If new, talk to your dealer.

If used, it’s possible someone had other pickups in there and slapped the originals (badly) back in to sell it.

clean the terminals on your switch. If you have some electronic components cleaner it will work. Just be careful not to let it get on the finish. Put a paper towel around the switch. If you don't have any cleaner, rub the terminals with OOO steal wool. Sometimes you can just flick the switch back and forth a bunch of times and get the switch to make contact.
I don't have either of those things atm, so I'll try flicking it back and forth for starters when I get home, and if that doesn't work I'll buy some cleaner. Any suggestions on what kind of cleaner? Not sure if there's a special kind for different kinds of electronics.

New or used?

If new, talk to your dealer.

If used, it’s possible someone had other pickups in there and slapped the originals (badly) back in to sell it.
It's new, I'll contact them to see if they have any suggestions. They're about 2.5 hours away, so I hope I don't have to take it in lol

So apparently it was either the cable or the output connection. I tried it again today and twisted the cable in the jack, and it's working. Sounds a little quieter than the other positions, but I had the volume way down.

Back