PRS SE Bernie Marsden

Andy1963

Just ordered my "Bernie" at £499.00 best price I have seen one in UK ...do they come cut for 9's or 10's would prefer to use 10's but don't know if it will need re cutting or not .

I got some cash-o-la for Christmas and I'm thinking about a Bernie. But I'm also thinking really hard about a Starla. Too many choices.

Your all right :) Yep they come with 10's and they use D'addarrios, but they may use the same nuts as the rest of SE range which come with 9's. So if you hear it plinking, a quick slot ream, even with the strings should open it up enough before worrying about replacing the nut etc.

Nice price, enjoy.

Yes nice to have choice I was between the Bernie and a SE245 but finally went with the Bernie because always been a fan seen him many times I know thats not a good way to decide on a guitar but have tried one and it felt good so went with it should be here in a couple of days :)

They do come setup for 10s but I had to still get the nut filed properly as the G- and B- strings were binding. Love the Bernie. Congrats on your purchase!

Thanks for your replies folks can't wait for my guitar to arrive.... Mike love your review of the Bernie best review of it I have seen love your playing man wish I was good enough to make it sound like that . Have had an SE Custom 22 since 2009 which I love and hope the Bernie will sound thicker and creamier do you think it will ... just noticed you are down the road in Warrington I'm in Runcorn if I'm struggling with any mods do you do any ...on a chargeable basis obviously :)

I sometimes see people asking if anybody gigs their SE's. How about Bernie himself? In a demo video he said he doesn't mod them. He plays them just like they are hanging on the wall in the store. He could be playing the 59 LP and he chooses to play the SE's live. That's pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PRS SE Akesson is a lovely guitar with some great quality but the nut that came as standard was terrible, I don't know if the Marsden has a better quality nut as standard.

My SE 22 Custom in 2009 came with a pretty well cut nut but did eventually get it replaced with a Tusq nut and replaced my tuners with locking tuners .

Last edited:
I opted for a bone nut and the previous owner of my guitar had fitted locking tuners. This is my first guitar to have those and I do like them.

Back