PRS SE Bass Guitars

MichaelC24

Sucker for Squabbins
The PRS SE Kestrel & Kingfisher Basses were released in 2014, that’s 5 years ago.....

I have a Natural Kingfisher, and it’s amazing. It holds its own against my Core bass, as well as my other Basses.

Great build quality, playability and tone are all there.

Why are these Basses just swept under the rug? No new colors, options or updates in 5 years! 5 YEARS! Half a Decade! Same 3 colors (2 for the Kingfisher) and they still have the big goofy SE decals, yet the Indonesian standard guitar models even have the new updated logo. It’s too bad these aren’t more appreciated in the bass community, as they are wonderful instruments and they would maybe get more attention from PRS.

After seeing EBMM’a “Sterling” 2019 import line drop some new roasted maple necks, quilt/flame/burl tops & new colors got me thinking what kind of beautiful things PRS could do, if only these Basses were more popular.

C’mon PRS, give us bassists some love!
C’mon bassists, give PRS some love so we can get some more options!

I couldn't find numbers broken out of electric sales of guitars vs basses, but the apocryphal ratio of players is estimated to be 10:1. Add to that bass players wanting a versatile instrument even more, and what I perceive as fewer instruments per player - and the market is much smaller. I guess PRS isn't that interested in it. They only offer 1 core bass, too.

Yeah, I've been hankering for an "affordable" 5 string bass for a while to match my Kingfisher. Well, my wife's Kingfisher now - she's picked up bass guitar.

But I simply can't justify the megabucks for a GG-5. Especially when there are "pretty good playing" Ibanez 5-strings for well under $500.

So although I continue to wait for PRS to release a 5-string SE (or even S2), I suspect I will just grab a different brand before the end of the year if PRS does nothing.

And I don't blame them - the market must be quite small. But...I'm in that market.

I'm in search of a red Kestrel in my price range. Seems like that's my gig money target this year. (Last year was a Yamaha SBV). I love the way they look. The one I checked out at a local shop felt really good.

I would love a PRS Bass too, But the pricing is just out of my reach. I have an Ibanez Spalted Maple 5 string that is a solid instrument for the price. I'm considering a 4 string burled poplar if the wife doesn't have a fit about it. I'd definitely buy a PRS Burly Pop if they put one out.

I'm in search of a red Kestrel in my price range. Seems like that's my gig money target this year. (Last year was a Yamaha SBV). I love the way they look. The one I checked out at a local shop felt really good.
Try Dave's Guitar Shop. They always seem to have a few pristine SE basses listed.

The Kestrel is, hands down, the best value in a bass guitar. I’m helping my son put an active EQ in his now, just for giggles. So good!

Back