PRS SE AX20E vs Taylor 114ce - help

intheearlyhours

Hello everyone!

I need some opinions. I am just getting back into playing and want to replace my super beginner Yamaha acoustic I have with something a touch nicer. I am trying to be budget friendly as well.

I have been doing a ton of research on the AX20e and I like that the materials it is made from. All real wood and little to no plastic on it. The issue is, I cannot find a store that carries it to test drive.

I went to Guitar Center and another local shop and my favorite sounding guitar, which was slightly over my budget, was the Taylor 114ce. My issue with it is that it felt really cheap but sounded great. It also looked cheap to me as well. The laminate was very apparent I guess and it was so light that it added to the cheap feeling to me.

My only idea I have is to order the AX20e and ship it to my local store and return it if I hate it, but I just have a feeling I will force myself to like it since it's more affordable.

Thoughts?

I appreciate the feedback

Last edited:
Just want to point out the back and sides on AX20e are laminate. I got the image from your post that you maybe think it's all solid wood. I don't personally mind laminate and I tried the AX20e and TE50e at my local music shop and both are great guitars imo (liked the tone on TE50e better). Just wanted to point that out as your main critique on Taylor was the laminate.

Im lusting over the TE50e and its gonna be my next gear purchase but I know I like it because I tried it. I can't swear the same that you will love AX20e.

Just want to point out the back and sides on AX20e are laminate. I got the image from your post that you maybe think it's all solid wood. I don't personally mind laminate and I tried the AX20e and TE50e at my local music shop and both are great guitars imo (liked the tone on TE50e better). Just wanted to point that out as your main critique on Taylor was the laminate.

Im lusting over the TE50e and its gonna be my next gear purchase but I know I like it because I tried it. I can't swear the same that you will love AX20e.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I did not do my research that well then. I thought they would have to call out it is laminate in the specs. Well I guess then my question is now. AX20E at $650 vs the Taylor at $750-800. Do I spend the extra money to get one of the kings of acoustic or take a chance on a smaller, harder to find PRS Acoustic. I wish I could just find one to try it.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I did not do my research that well then. I thought they would have to call out it is laminate in the specs. Well I guess then my question is now. AX20E at $650 vs the Taylor at $750-800. Do I spend the extra money to get one of the kings of acoustic or take a chance on a smaller, harder to find PRS Acoustic. I wish I could just find one to try it.

Thanks

People have said that the new PRS acoustic line is on par with Taylors 100 and 200 series. I also personally likem them when I tried them out. Just order it and if you dislike it return it and get the Taylor instead...

I think that sound-wise, they are rather similar. For me, it's a neck carve thing. I prefer the PRS neck carve. But again, that's me.
As stated above, your only solution may be to take a chance, order the PRS. If it's not your "playability" cup of tea, return it.
Just ensure the people from whom you order have a good return policy.

I think that sound-wise, they are rather similar. For me, it's a neck carve thing. I prefer the PRS neck carve. But again, that's me.
As stated above, your only solution may be to take a chance, order the PRS. If it's not your "playability" cup of tea, return it.
Just ensure the people from whom you order have a good return policy.
This. Specifically, not neck carve but rather string spacing.

I have the PRS T50e and the Taylor 214ce Dlx QM (Quilted Maple, so a strong analogy to the PRS). They sound similar, though I think the PRS does indeed sound better (could be placebo, since I am a PRS fanboi after all).

The neck width is supposedly exactly the same, but the Taylor has the strings spaced just a bit further apart (especially at the nut). This puts the strings closer to the edges of the fretboard. Some might like that, but to me it makes the neck feel one size bigger, and it is not nearly as comfortable to play as the PRS.

I also have a PRS SE Angelus Custom, which feels, neckwise, the same as the T50e.

I definitely prefer the PRS.

I had a few high end Taylors over the years, so I ordered a Taylor 114 as a "screwing around" "couch guitar," and had it for a few months. I thought it sounded weak, thin and so annoyingly cheesy that I couldn't find it useful even for sitting around/practicing. So I sold it.

I was so perplexed by the way it sounded, given my decent experience with Taylors, that I emailed Taylor to ask "what were you thinking when you came up with this thing?"

I got no response, of course.

I have a PS Tonare Grand, but I do think the SE version is a heck of a bargain, and a more substantial, good-sounding design. I also just read a glowing review of the SE in either Guitarist or GP. In any case, that's what I'd buy if I needed something just to plunk around with.

Back