PRS SE Adjustable Stoptail Bridge

seandesigner

Im new to this forum. Just bought a very nice SE custom 22 semi ltd edition zebrawood top, so thought i'd join in on some of the conversations.

I'm intrigued by the differences between the standard stoptail bridge of my guitar and the adjustable version seen on the Zach Myers model. I like the simplicity of the standard but like the idea that you have the adjustability should you need it.

I noticed the PRS accessories shop (UK) has cheaper SE versions of both the Standard Stoptail and their standard Trems (cheaper as they are probably cast instead of machined). I contacted the PRS European Support centre and asked if they had the SE version of the Adjustable stoptail.

I couldn't believe their response. They told me that the bridge used on the Zach Myers model is exactly the same as the ones used on the Core range!! If this is true then the ZM is a bargain of an instrument as it has a bridge that retails for £284 when the whole guitar is £799 (the same as every other SE custom) Only the Custom 24 with a Floyd is more expensive at £899.

So, do you guys think they are telling the truth? Does anyone have any experience with both the ZM adjustable stoptail and the Core range adjustable? Are they just trying to up-sell to their Core Bridge to make more money by keeping an SE version hidden?

This is just for discussion really, i'm not particularly interested in the Tonepros or Mann versions I've read about on here.

Hmmm... I bought the SE Chris Robertson, and on several sites it's listed as having "US Hardware", although not on any official PRS sites. I strongly suspect that the bridge is US made. Possibly also the nut, since it takes 0.010 strings very well. Much less sure about the nut, though - it looks a bit different than the ones on my "real" US PRSi.

Thats pretty interesting. Of course the retailers / sites would most likely have been briefed with the full spec, so i wouldn't doubt them. I've not seen any such info on the ZM however. But i don't see why it would be any different. Unfortunately for me if i ever do decide to go adjustable in the future... Its gonna cost me!

Thanks John, that pretty much confirms it.

Of course the MannMade bridge does look like a great upgrade. Being cheaper than the prs. Unfortunately I'm in the uk, so by the time I'd paid import duties and fees, it'd cost the same. Also looking at pics of both bridges, the flatter saddles on the PRS bridge would win me over.

Thanks John, that pretty much confirms it.

Of course the MannMade bridge does look like a great upgrade. Being cheaper than the prs. Unfortunately I'm in the uk, so by the time I'd paid import duties and fees, it'd cost the same. Also looking at pics of both bridges, the flatter saddles on the PRS bridge would win me over.

As the proud owner of 5 MannMade 2300s, and two 2000 NOS trems, you should give them another look. I mean, he was there from the beginning. Not like he's some guy making things up after the fact.

I have the adjustable stoptail bridge on an SCHB, a P22, and a ZM. I will say that they seem indistinguishable with the exception that the ZM is the newest and seems least prone to any form of tarnishing.

Can someone tell me what exactly the difference is between the stud wells that John Mann delivers with the SE/S2 and the US Core bridges? The threads seem to be the same... do the wells have a different size?

Can someone tell me what exactly the difference is between the stud wells that John Mann delivers with the SE/S2 and the US Core bridges? The threads seem to be the same... do the wells have a different size?

At the present time, all of my studs & wells are 5/16-24 US thread, regardless of which model you purchase.
The main difference is that I include the metric tools needed to remove your metric stud wells which are found on SE/S2 models.
The US threaded stud wells are included.

Back