PRS SE 50 Question

Mr_SC-J

Hi guys just picked up a mint SE 50 at a great price I was wondering what is the ohm switch in the back do and should it be left in a certain position because it has a 12 inch speaker? Kind of clueless on that switch help very much appreciated

Nice choice! The selector in the back allows you to tell the amp what ohm speaker you are plugging into it. The speaker in the amp is a 16 ohm speaker so the switch should be on that setting. If you unplug the internal speaker and drive something else like ... oh ... say a 4x12 cabinet from the 80's ;), you can switch to the 8 ohm setting to match the impedance of that cabinet.

Last edited:
Nice choice! The selector in the back allows you to tell the amp what ohm speaker you are plugging into it. The speaker in the amp is a 16 ohm speaker so the switch should be on that setting. If you unplug the internal speaker and drive something else like ... oh ... say a 4x12 cabinet from the 80's ;), you can switch to the 8 ohm setting to match the impedance of that cabinet.
^^^What he said^^^
Make sure to not leave the speaker unplugged while the amp is on if you change the speaker from the internal.

Thanks for the info guys I wasn't sure at which setting the switch should be at with the internal speaker 16 ohm good to know a friend was telling that I could choice any setting with the internal speaker I thought he was wrong. I love the amp a little heavy but a lot lighter than what I been carrying around for the last 20 years.

Those SE amps never caught on as well as, say, the Sonzera line. To me they are underrated. Particularly as a pedal platform. I have two. A 50 and a 20 :) Like em both.

You should double check to make sure that the original owner didn’t swap out the speaker for one that isn’t 16 ohm. It should say on the speaker itself how many ohms of resistance it has.

Set the switch to the ohms of the internal speaker, unless you’re not using the internal speaker. If not, then set the switch to the ohms of the external speaker.

Incidentally, it’s rare that mismatching the switch and the speaker would cause a problem with modern amps like your SE.

I had an SE30 for a few years that I liked. Had a lot of bass in the head/cab format, I think the combo would be interesting to play.

Back