PRS SE 35th Anniversary vs SE Paul's Guitar?

ShawnF1222

I am intrigued by these two affordable PRS's. Have you played both? If you could buy one, which would you buy and why? I like the trem bar on the 35th Anniversary, but the nice clean look and tone of the Paul's guitar.

I bought the SE 35th anniversary Custom 24, because I wanted 24 frets and a trem. And, being my first PRS, I wanted the Custom 24 format as that was the 'original' PRS design and sound.

It would be the Custom. You already have a 22 fretter with a stoptail. I say go the flagship route. The trem is amazing. It’s the best I’ve used in 50+ years.

Being a Fender guy for many years, I am nervous about playing a 24 fret guitar. Is that weird or tough to get used too?

Both are solid guitars and will inspire you for years to come. Since both have TCI pickups, I went with the 35th because I found the black/gold burst drop dead gorgeous, I wanted 24 frets ( I've always played with 24 frets) and a trem.

Paul guitar for me in Trampas Green. Wide Thin never worked for me.

Someday. Good luck I'm sure you'll be happy either way!

I’d go with the Paul’s. Unique tone.

Don't they both use TCI pickups? What is unique to Paul's Guitar tone wise? Is it related to the fixed bridge vs trem? Both guitars looks gorgeous, at least from photos I've seen.

Both use TCI pickups, but the pickups are tuned differently for each model, so they are probably not exactly the same between the two models. That plus the fixed bridge will probably make a difference, though I don't know how much.

Being a Fender guy for many years, I am nervous about playing a 24 fret guitar. Is that weird or tough to get used too?
Do You use the tremoolo?The differents between the two guitars that the Paul’s have mohogany neck, 22 frets, fixed bridge, wide thick neck, the 35th have maple neck, tremolo, wide thin neck, 24 frets, and what mates said above.Paul’s guitar is very lightweight( i have this ).And the different between the guitars is that the 24 fretted guitars neck pickup is more close to the bridge pickup than the 22 fretted.It couses different sound.Also the maple neck doing this.I was also a strat guy but after i’ve bought a Singlecut SE it changed.I like more the PRSes. :)

Do You use the tremoolo?The differents between the two guitars that the Paul’s have mohogany neck, 22 frets, fixed bridge, wide thick neck, the 35th have maple neck, tremolo, wide thin neck, 24 frets, and what mates said above.Paul’s guitar is very lightweight( i have this ).And the different between the guitars is that the 24 fretted guitars neck pickup is more close to the bridge pickup than the 22 fretted.It couses different sound.Also the maple neck doing this.I was also a strat guy but after i’ve bought a Singlecut SE it changed.I like more the PRSes. :)

I don't use it a ton, but when I have it, I use it. It's a great expression tool, no? The other PRS I have, is a Starla s2 with a Bigsby and I like it. I have a strat with a trem as well.

I read a lot here, far more than I comment, but it seems most ppl end up changing out the nuts; adding locking tuners and I am guessing the pots at some point.

Thanks everyone for the great input.

The 35th for me. Pauls Guitar hasn't spoke to me yet. A cu24 always grabs me first. I've been about every XYZ guy over the years and settled on Fender as my addiction. Then... along came PRS. I have no issue jumping from a strat to CU24. If anything having the 2 or 3 extra frets just makes it easier to access the ones I more often. The half inch of neck difference is really only noticeable when practicing chord finger placement accuracy. Realtime playing not so much. They are different feeling but in a good way. I will say once I played a PRS trem I wish for one on my remaining strats. My favorite!

The 35th for me. Pauls Guitar hasn't spoke to me yet. A cu24 always grabs me first. I've been about every XYZ guy over the years and settled on Fender as my addiction. Then... along came PRS. I have no issue jumping from a strat to CU24. If anything having the 2 or 3 extra frets just makes it easier to access the ones I more often. The half inch of neck difference is really only noticeable when practicing chord finger placement accuracy. Realtime playing not so much. They are different feeling but in a good way. I will say once I played a PRS trem I wish for one on my remaining strats. My favorite!

That's what really cool about PRS. It seems that Paul isn't held to tradition, but rather he looks at ways to make guitars better, nothing sacred. It's like he looks at things a new way. Probably the only exception is his affection for McCarty, which is really nice.

Back