PRS SE 30 help

Imgettingcloser

So I have an SE30 head that has been in storage for the last year as I have been in an apartment while the new house was being built. So today I finally get around to playing through it again and 5 minutes into it the sound cuts in and out and finally drops to barely audible. So I tried different guitars, bypassing pedalboard (direct to amp) and different cable’s with no change. I’m pretty sure It is most likely in need of a re tube. Just wanted to see if anyone can verify that it is most likely the tubes before dropping the money for no reason. Also, if anyone has any tube recommendations please feel free to post them.

So I have an SE30 head that has been in storage for the last year as I have been in an apartment while the new house was being built. So today I finally get around to playing through it again and 5 minutes into it the sound cuts in and out and finally drops to barely audible. So I tried different guitars, bypassing pedalboard (direct to amp) and different cable’s with no change. I’m pretty sure It is most likely in need of a re tube. Just wanted to see if anyone can verify that it is most likely the tubes before dropping the money for no reason. Also, if anyone has any tube recommendations please feel free to post them.

One suggestion, I had a similar issue with my little Mesa and I left it switched on stand-by for a number of hours. It seemed to clear the issue.

If I remember correctly, the tubes just needs to burn in again after me not using it for a number of months, maybe a couple of years.

This may be a cheap fix for you. Worth trying, before you drop coin on a new set of tubes.

Best of luck.

One suggestion, I had a similar issue with my little Mesa and I left it switched on stand-by for a number of hours. It seemed to clear the issue.

If I remember correctly, the tubes just needs to burn in again after me not using it for a number of months, maybe a couple of years.

This may be a cheap fix for you. Worth trying, before you drop coin on a new set of tubes.

Best of luck.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I did notice that after switching the amp into standby for a minute or two then back on it would be fine but then go back out. So maybe leaving it in standby for a hour or two might work.

It's most likely a tube. IIRC that amp uses 12ax7, 12at7, and 5881's (6L6GC would also work). Easiest and cheapest place to get started would be to get one spare 12ax7 and try it in all the preamp slots, and see if you have a bad preamp tube. If it's not one of those, it could be a power tube (5881), you will need a matched set, which is more expensive. No reason to re-tube the whole head though, it's likely just one tube that's out.

Sorry to bring up an older post but just wanted to thank those that replied. I tried all the suggestions but still had the issue. I did a quick YouTube search about dirty effects loop jacks causing the same issue. A few shots of contact cleaner later and the amp seems to be good to go. So thanks again for all the help and if anyone else has similar issues hopefully they will find this post and try all the suggestions before wasting money on new tubes when they are not needed.

Back