PRS SE 245

Steven Lafferty

Anyone here have or had a PRS SE 245? I am just wondering how they compare in sound to a SE Custom 24. Just wondering if they are close in play and tone to each other. I have a SE Custom but I really like the look and feel of a 245. But, only played one for a bit at our local GS. Thanks in advance for all your help.

I agree with Hangar18. Different animals. Add 24 frets v 22 frets to the differences. The feel and tone are different but what that translates to is I play differently. I'm not the same at least as much as the difference in guitars.

Last edited:
Should feel "more" like a guitar that comes from place that begins with G than your Custom 24. It would be a good addition if you want extra diversity (or have already been afflicted with the symptoms of constantly buying different PRS guitars as many of us have).

I would definitely see how you like the weight, thickness of the body and neck profile too. Just my thoughts.

If you like the look and feel of the SE 245, then get it!
I have owned several SE Customs and currently have two S2s, Singlecut and Standard 24. I had an SE 245 for about two years. I liked it the best out of all my PRS guitars. To me, it has more growl and bark then a SE Custom. It is IMHO, the closest to a real LP sound of all the PRS guitars I have owned. The neck profile of the SE 245 is very similar to my LP Traditional. Unfortunately I had to give up my SE 245 in a trade deal. I think tone wise the SE 245 fits around the LP Studio range. So, you get a lot of bang for your buck on them. I would go as far and say the best bang for buck that PRS offers.

...the SE 245....you get a lot of bang for your buck on them. I would go as far and say [maybe] the best bang for buck that PRS offers.

Definitely! I got mine (standard) thinking I might upgrade pups, etc, but was surprised how good it sounds stock. I ended up leaving it as is, and it is great. Of course mine was used, so I don't know if anything was changed or not.

33713162188_fed4462b7d_o.jpg

I pit my core CU24 against my SE245 all the time but not because one is better than the other, but because they are such different beasts. You seriously need both!

Stock, the SE245 is simply great! It can rock with the best of them and make a helluva racket. How do I know, you ask? Exhibit A...

Playing one-handed to hold the camera is harder than one would think...

I pit my core CU24 against my SE245 all the time but not because one is better than the other, but because they are such different beasts. You seriously need both!

Stock, the SE245 is simply great! It can rock with the best of them and make a helluva racket. How do I know, you ask? Exhibit A...

Playing one-handed to hold the camera is harder than one would think...

“Can’t touch this!” Hammer-on time:rolleyes:

I'm definitely considering one as a partner for my SE CU24. I do kinda wish they had a coil-split option though, just for extra versatility. Not a massive deal breaker though.

I'm definitely considering one as a partner for my SE CU24. I do kinda wish they had a coil-split option though, just for extra versatility. Not a massive deal breaker though.
I like the versatility of the coil split too. But, it's not a deal breaker for me. I have a Sweet Strat and a Sweet Nashville Tele if I need single coil. Or, I can play my CU24SE that has coil split. But, I think the 245 can produce some sweet clean tones too if you dial the volume back and jack up the tone knob to bright. I played one in the GC and instant love for it. Just need to swing the money.

Although not a coil split, the two volumes can give you a plethora of blended pup tones in the middle switch position, and can sound similar to a split by just lowering the volume on each pup. I like guitars with the split option, but don’t miss it a bit on my SE 245, SE Zach Myers, or Se Tremonti, and sometimes forget that option on my S2 Singlecut. I prefer the mini toggles on my SE Paul’s, and find it sometimes difficult to get a good grip on the push/pull knobs on my other guitars, especially with a pick in my hand.

Sometimes I like to have all of the options on a guitar, but sometimes, certain options just don’t work with a particular guitar. You learn - trial-n-error - and eventually strip those options off and get that guitar down to the essentials. That’s how I see the SC/E 245. With the specifically-voiced pickups, split coils just never crossed my mind because the humbucker thing was just SO good. If I wanted splits, I’d put down the 245 and pick something else up. Even if it was my only guitar, I’d not have that expectation for it. Then I’d go buy a Vela or a DGT. :D

Back