PRS SE 245 Standard Electric Guitar- Model: 108117

rampb

Hi All

New to the forum and excited to learn about the PRS and their products.

I'm new on my journey ( late bloomer) to learn the guitar and was looking to start with a guitar with decent quality. On the research that I have done , the PRS 245 SE most caught my attention within my budget and have read good reviews on them. Also I want something that I can grow my skills with as I progress

Appreciate if someone lay summarize the Pro and Cons of this particular model -PRS 245 SE- Model 108117 ? and would you recommend it for a beginner . Can it be upgraded ( later on) with higher quality Tuners and Pots without issues ?

The Bridge are the PRS-Designed Stoptail -
Tuners - PRS Designed Tuners
Q:- Is it of good quality and does it hold the intonation well without too much adjustments ?

I was looking for an HSS pups configuration to get a variety of Tones , but this model only comes with HH , so I am not sure how this can be achieved

Thanks much and appreciate the feedback

^ This ^
Holds tune well, and plenty of drop in upgrade options available from PRS and others, should you decide to make changes later. For an HSS configuration in another great guitar, check out a S2 Studio.

^ This ^
Holds tune well, and plenty of drop in upgrade options available from PRS and others, should you decide to make changes later. For an HSS configuration in another great guitar, check out a S2 Studio.
Thanks much !! Will definitely check on the S2 Studio

Excellent first choice or choice period. SE is a guitar that you can play as is or change parts along the way and still not break the bank. I have a pretty good selection of guitars ranging in price, and I find myself looking at 245 quite often.

Excellent first choice or choice period. SE is a guitar that you can play as is or change parts along the way and still not break the bank. I have a pretty good selection of guitars ranging in price, and I find myself looking at 245 quite often.
Thanks .. Its my first choice and wanted to get a guitar just beyond the cheap entry level and PRS fits it well. Just wish the 245 had coil splitting to allow for the single coil selection. I know its not the same as a true single coil , but at least it would have provided the variety of tones . But do all thank all on the feedback for product selection . Purchase will be much easier now

If the pups have the extra split/tap wires (not sure if the one you are looking at has), you can replace a tone pot with a push pull for single coil switching. If existing pups do not, you can install ones that do.

That's a good choice for a first instrument. The tuners and pots won't particularly need to be upgraded.

The only caveat I will have is that it's somewhat more modern-voiced than, say, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s. I won't say that one of those guitars is definitely better than the other, but they're going to feel different. If you want that classic Les Paul sound, you'll find it in the Epiphone moreso than you do in the PRS.

I have a Chris Robertson, which is basically a SE 245 with different pickups, a p90 in the neck, and a coil tap in the bridge. It's a solid guitar although I never really felt guitar nirvana with it, it has served me well. The Zach Meyers is VERY popular (and man, if they were in that blue when I bought the CR, I probably would have bought one instead) and it's basically a semi-hollow 245. The Tremonti is basically a 245 with Floyd Rose and higher-output pickups. Compared to the SE Standard, they both have a maple cap which in theory makes them a little brighter. (PRS uses "Standard" as their moniker for all-mahogany, which is a less-expensive construction than their mahogany with a maple cap).

Thanks .. Its my first choice and wanted to get a guitar just beyond the cheap entry level and PRS fits it well. Just wish the 245 had coil splitting to allow for the single coil selection. I know its not the same as a true single coil , but at least it would have provided the variety of tones . But do all thank all on the feedback for product selection . Purchase will be much easier now

Welcome! People are going to have suggestions and advice for this or that but honestly go with the one that grabbed you. That's most important at this point. A guitar you want to play. The rest you'll figure out along the way.

As suggested you can always add a push pull for coil split. PRS is known to pull off convincing single coil tones. I was very impressed the other night after I grabbed a PRS with my rig dialed for strats.

There are far more pros to this guitar than cons and truthfully more often than not the cons you read are more the internet being the internet, an opinion, or preference than actual cons.

I'll add I'm not implying suggestions that'll be thrown out are bad or wrong choices only to keep it simple in the beginning. You'll soon find out PRS are addictive and before you know it you'll be looking at more.

Good luck and looking forward to pics!

That's a good choice for a first instrument. The tuners and pots won't particularly need to be upgraded.

The only caveat I will have is that it's somewhat more modern-voiced than, say, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s. I won't say that one of those guitars is definitely better than the other, but they're going to feel different. If you want that classic Les Paul sound, you'll find it in the Epiphone moreso than you do in the PRS.

I have a Chris Robertson, which is basically a SE 245 with different pickups, a p90 in the neck, and a coil tap in the bridge. It's a solid guitar although I never really felt guitar nirvana with it, it has served me well. The Zach Meyers is VERY popular (and man, if they were in that blue when I bought the CR, I probably would have bought one instead) and it's basically a semi-hollow 245. The Tremonti is basically a 245 with Floyd Rose and higher-output pickups. Compared to the SE Standard, they both have a maple cap which in theory makes them a little brighter. (PRS uses "Standard" as their moniker for all-mahogany, which is a less-expensive construction than their mahogany with a maple cap).

The Tremonti has a trem but it's not a floyd rose. They even used to be hardtail. I've always thought the Chris Robertsons are cool, too bad they discontinued it.

An excellent choice, not sure but I think the current ones are coil spiltable (just 2 push pull pots) failing that you could always get a guitar tech to flip the magnet around in one of the pickups which would give you a pseudo single coil - out of phase (ala Peter Green) plenty of videos on youtube has to how to do this mod if you feel confident. As for upgrades of parts the only thing I feel changing is the nut to a "Core" nut, everything else is virtually perfect. I love my SE245's and use them for gigging quite a lot of the time.

My main stage guitars 2 x Bernie Marsden SE's (now sadly discontinued:()
51221985407_1ef8578bbd_o.jpg

Chris Robertson SE (Also now sadly discontinued)
51221973322_04ab7a1e1a_k.jpg

the guitars have been modded but not cause they needed it (i just wanted to make them mine)

Like I said excellent choice, when I got my first Bernie (the black headstock one) I sold 2 Gibson Les Pauls - a 2012 Classic Custom & a 2012 50's tribute because compared to the SE they weren't getting any playing time.

My next one is gonna be a blue Zach Myers:)

Last edited:
Welcome! People are going to have suggestions and advice for this or that but honestly go with the one that grabbed you. That's most important at this point. A guitar you want to play. The rest you'll figure out along the way.

As suggested you can always add a push pull for coil split. PRS is known to pull off convincing single coil tones. I was very impressed the other night after I grabbed a PRS with my rig dialed for strats.

There are far more pros to this guitar than cons and truthfully more often than not the cons you read are more the internet being the internet, an opinion, or preference than actual cons.

I'll add I'm not implying suggestions that'll be thrown out are bad or wrong choices only to keep it simple in the beginning. You'll soon find out PRS are addictive and before you know it you'll be looking at more.

Good luck and looking forward to pics!
Thanks .

Will definitely post pics after purchase .

How’s the Tone and Volume pots usage overtime in regards to level control. What I mean is that when you adjust the Tone or Volume it’s either mostly high not low there’s no real control and it may have to be done solely from the amp.?

Thanks .

How’s the Tone and Volume pots usage overtime in regards to level control. What I mean is that when you adjust the Tone or Volume it’s either mostly high not low there’s no real control and it may have to be done solely from the amp.?
I've found everything in the 245 standard controls to be very usable. Its a fantastic guitar to start, and upgrades such as composite nut and tuners are super easy to do. You may not need to! You'll find the shorter scale makes the strings easier to finger...at least it is for me.

I went with the all hog and binding SE 245. Are you looking at one of the flame maple top versions?

Search for the 245 love thread. Prime specimen are found there.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see the 245 soon!

I've found everything in the 245 standard controls to be very usable. Its a fantastic guitar to start, and upgrades such as composite nut and tuners are super easy to do. You may not need to! You'll find the shorter scale makes the strings easier to finger...at least it is for me.

I went with the all hog and binding SE 245. Are you looking at one of the flame maple top versions?

Search for the 245 love thread. Prime specimen are found there.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see the 245 soon!
Thank you

I am looking at the unit that has the Bound Mahogany body with Rosewood neck with a finish of Tobacco Sunburst Gloss

The 245 and Tremonti Custom someone mentioned above have different neck profiles. The 245 is wide/thick and the Tremonti is wide/thin. I own the Tremonti due to the neck profile. Might not be an issue for you, but something to consider.

Thanks .

You’re talking about modern vs 50s wiring schemes and a treble bleed cap. The SE245 is very well thought out and you shouldn’t need to replace anything. Mine is mildly modified but has been to a couple hundred gigs, literally. A $300 set of pickups did eventually find their way in there, but it was a transformative decision. Such a wonderful guitar, regardless of price.

se245pup2.jpg

I've always thought the Chris Robertsons are cool, too bad they discontinued it.

Yeah. They were selling out really quickly when I was trying to find mine ... I felt lucky to find it but had to buy it blind.

It's a great guitar for the right person, but I do think it's a guitar for a player who wants "more" - the p90 can feel like a massive wall of sound hitting you in the face, and you get a hard, biting attack out of the bridge that can be challenging to tame.

While I've realized that I'm really more of a low-output humbucker guy, it's a very good guitar, and it's nice to have something that feels so totally different from my SE HBii. But if somebody wanted to trade me for one of those blue Zach Myers, I'd be very, very tempted.

Back