PRS SC250 Singlecut pickups!?

boardn10

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 SC250 McCarty burst on the way. I have been playing for 33 years and this is my first PRS singlecut. I have an LP Standard with Suhr Aldrich pickuos I love. I have had a 2001 or 03 McCarty double cut and 2006 Custom 22. I also have my main guitar, a 1994 CE22. Wish I still had my old McCarty and Cu22 but I felt my Les Paul and CE22 sounded better so I moved on. Believe it or not the Alder CE22 with Dragons sounded bigger than my stock 2001 or 03 McCarty.

Looking forward to the SC250.
It comes with Duncan Custom shop Antiquities. The thing is, I am a hard rock and metal guitarist so I plan to install the stock SC250 bridge pickup.

Any opinions on this pickup?
I also love the Tremonti pickup, Suhr Aldrich, Rio Grande BBQ, Duncan Custom, WCR Godwood, Wolfetone Timbrewolf and lots others.

I'll post pics as soon as it arrives in a day or two.

Thanks for listening!
-Rich

I love the Tremonti bridge pup for harder rock and metal... since getting my 2020 Tremonti, it’s been hard to put it down and I credit the pickups. It’s just incredibly dynamic with a killer “push” that just makes me smile ;)

I love the Tremonti bridge pup for harder rock and metal... since getting my 2020 Tremonti, it’s been hard to put it down and I credit the pickups. It’s just incredibly dynamic with a killer “push” that just makes me smile ;)
Nice!
I love the hot PRS Dragons and I think they are hotter.
I am curious how similar the Tremonti Bridge and SC250 Bridge is.

I have nothing to add, but will be curious on your take. I definitely prefer a lower output humbucker than the SC250 I had--the only reason I moved it was because I didn't like the pups. I absolutely loved the guitar, though! Let us know how you end up.

I sure will! I love swapping and trying pickups, so we'll see. The guy said the low output antiquities are insanely good in this guitar but for my style and music, they probably won't work.... But never say never.
I just know myself and will often end up using some of my favorite pickups.

I love that you said "push"...
That is a big thing I love about the Suhr Aldrich in my LP Standard. Lively, great feel and push.

The SC250 bridge is pretty much the same as the Tremonti bridge in my experience.
Good to know! Same specs?
I see the 250 has the normal coil shape but the Tremonti is squared off or rectangular.

Good to know! Same specs?
I see the 250 has the normal coil shape but the Tremonti is squared off or rectangular.

older Tremonti were rounded as were all the PRS pups at one point. According to a posted spec sheet the Tremonti and the SC250 pup had identical dc resistance at 15.42 and both have ceramic magnets.....

Supposedly I should have it Monday.

I watched an SC250 review by a guy on YouTube and it disnt make sense. He said the SC250 pickups were too soft and bluesy for him. I had to laugh because I has never heard that. Lol.

I am a rock, hard rock, Alt rock and metal guy and I prefer singlecut guitars like any good LP, PRS SC, but also love my SG Standard, and PRS CE 22.

The guy I bought the SC from said the stock pickups really rock and are tight but the antiquities really opened up the guitar.

It's 8.2 lbs. The other one I was looking at, was 9.2 lbs and I chose to go lighter since I have had a lot of shoulder problems. Lol.
Even my LP is under 9 lbs.

The 9.2 SC was gorgeous but the guy who sold me really knew his stuff and I trusted him as this was one of the best playing and sounding guitars he had owned. He had to sell to remodel his house for his son moving in. He was sad to let it go, and I have lost many pieces over the years. I get it...

The other one I looked at was an older 2001 black Singlecut that was also mint.
I chose the SC250 as it fits my hard rock and metal better, especially with the adjustable bridge and love locking tuners.

Although I prefer the Planet Waves locking tuners on my CE22

I hope it has a good home with me for a long while.

My 2001 McCarty and 2006 Cu22 didn't last more than a few years because my CE22 beat them out.

Hope this SC250 holds its one in my collection.

I think my PRS Dragon bridge is 19k and ceramic. Although resistance doesn't tell the whole story.

I may end up getting the new Tremonti as I like the square look. It looks more finished like a covered bucker. I hear it is very bright like the 250 though.
Otherwise, I'll go Aldrich, BBQ, Afwayu, or Timbrewolf.

Last edited:
Supposedly I should have it Monday.

I watched an SC250 review by a guy on YouTube and it disnt make sense. He said the SC250 pickups were too soft and bluesy for him. I had to laugh because I has never heard that. Lol.

Yeah, that is super not in line with a 17k pickup.

When I got my SC, I upgraded it from whatever pups were in it to factory SC250 pups. The bridge was exactly the same as my Tremonti - screaming treble fury. I only got along with it downtuned. I swapped those for BKP Cold Sweats that I love, but I also now love the 58/15.

I seriously wonder if the reviewer didn't have a used guitar where the pups had been swapped out.

I think the sc250 bridge is 15k.

The stock pickups are 250s.
You had a SC with #7s?

I think the sc250 bridge is 15k.

The stock pickups are 250s.
You had a SC with #7s?

I got my SC used and it had Dragon 2 or some such. I can’t remember. I would likely have held onto #6 or #7 pups. The pots were all aftermarket garbage as well. It was a 2006 model, so predated the SC250. I tried to make it a 250 with the adjustable saddle bridge and SC250 pups, then went another route and just made it a guitar I like.

Nice bro!
Sounds like you have what you want.

I talked to some guys who say the Tremonti, regardless of heat, is rather versatile. I know the PRS Dragon Bridge in my CE22 is hot as heck but I use it for everything. The Suhr Aldrich is hot but again, love it for everything. Getting a Zebra Wolfetone Timbrewolf for my SG Standard ad maybe one of the new square Tremonti Bridge pickups for my SC250. We shall see.

Wish I could post a photo and then do a new guitar day post. Imgur doesn't seem to work on this forum for me. It works on everything other forum but here, the best I can do is post a link. The little icon tools on this page won't accept the code or link after I paste it. It's bizarre. Oh well.

Wish we could just upload photos like on some sites and forums.

I wanted to follow up and thank you for the input and suggestions. I tried a few different pickupd but ended up staying with the stock pickups. They really are good.

My other PRS Singlecut is brighter and I don't want it to be a lot like my SC250, so I probably won't do a Tremonti set. Right now testing the Aldrich bridge pickup and do really like it. But Iay try to find something a little lower output and darker, or just darker in general. The Aldrich is not bright, don't get me wrong, but it does have a lot of mids. I really hear that in my LP.
I am looking at trying a Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickup or Seymour Duncan El Diablo in the bridge position.

If you want to get rid of your Antiquties to a 65 year old PRS player, who is not a big heavy metal player, let me know.

Back