PRS SC245 v. 594SC

cwgatti

Ok....

I am gonna pull the trigger on a Core PRS Singlecut.
Can anyone give me their thoughts on the differences between the two?
...other than I can probably save a lotta $$$ on the 245.

Thanks!

I have a SC58 and it is amazing, not sure that will help you decide but it is just an amazing quality instrument that sounds great and feels lovely. Used to have a Custom 24 Artist and that was a great guitar, the SC 58 is even better.

In terms of 594 vs SC245s, differences are the scale length (24.594 vs 24.5), the neck carve (Pattern vs Pattern Vintage), the pickups, the bone nut vs standard PRS nut, coil splits, and a zinc bridge/ stoptail vs an aluminum set.

Tonally, the guitars aren’t worlds apart, but there are sonic and feel differences; the 594 sounds more vintage, and feels different from the SC245. Before the Stripped and SC58s, there were the Singlecuts with 25” scale lengths that sounded more modern than the 24.5 scale length models.

My McCarty Singlecut is somewhere between the SC245 and the 594 in tone, sounds great, and I still love it, however it’d certainly pay dividends to first play an SC245 type and a 594 to understand the differences.

This ^

I have had a few PRS SC. A SC245 that I flipped for a P245, a singlecut (25") and a couple Tremontis. The 245 is very very comfortable, and one of my favorite guitars. I didn't like the 245 pickups, but the P245 I have has 58/15s that I love. I had replaced the 245 pickups on the SC245 and it was my favorite guitar for a long time. The 25" is definitely a more heavy/modern feel compared to the 24.5" ones that are smoother and springier. I have a 594SC coming this month. I have not had the chance to play one, so it will be very interesting to see the difference. Given the fact that I have been happy with a variety of SC's, I have no doubt I'll like the 594.

Note that the 245 pickups (whether it comes with the older 245 pickups or the newer 57/08 or 58/15 set) will be different from the 594 pickups (58/15LT). If all else were the same, that would be noticeable.

On another note, I'm actually not a big fan of the 4-knob layout. I prefer the two-knob of the P245, and love the piezo that is in it as well. Another option to muddy the waters...

there's way more options than you think from that simple title 245 versus 594.
the 594's do show up with different pickup options, and a reasonable minority of us find 58/15 LTs not strong enough, I put a pearly gates in the bridge of my 594, and I can't put the darn thing down, I left the 5815 LT in the neck, both pickups in the single coil mode middle position, amazing.
then punch it down into, humbucking bridge. so the 594 has a lot of tonal switching options the coil tap extremely useful. as you get something like 10% of the slug coil.
as somebody said you can find 57/08's probably in both models, and that will cover just about everything.
another consideration, I don't see very many color options with SC 245, so if you're happy with yellow. but a lot of us need the swirling beautiful multicolored quilt tops that put us into a dream state. and again you can find several different bridge setups on the SC 245.
I really enjoy the rubbery bending of the 245 fantastic blues bends, and general rock. 594 also gives you that, ever so slightly more string tension.
you can even occasionally find a SC 245 with a tremolo if you look hard enough. those are usually slightly more expensive commission runs.

so pick a couple of models throw the examples into the thread, narrow it down and we can give you even more pros and cons.

I recommend the 594, with a 5708s phenomenal rock machine, plus the coil taps, plus a flame top that will make you pee your pants

I am actively shopping for both the SC245s and the 594 Singlecuts....I have noticed that the top woods PRS have been using have not been terribly impressive like days of old. I have owned quite a few PRS that were not "10 Top", but the tops were still awesome. Now I am noticing the tops are less and less striking...I may just opt for a solid color guitar instead of a clear coat...

I see a mix. Some very nice, some not so much. With the number of production guitars with curly maple available today, vs the few available a decade or two ago, I've got to think that it's hard to get that much beautiful wood.

that's true, very difficult to find non 10 top single cut 594 that looks really stunning. the pictures on Sweetwater look like there's some awesome ones but they're out of stock. Of course they look good but not stunning at ~3.5k

You have to decide To go up to ~4.2 K a wood library run to get a solid 10 top, but it does sound like you want to go into the 2k's

So extra seven or 800 bucks gets you this on reverb

https://reverb.com/item/11265841-prs-sc594-singlecut-quilt-10-top-custom-color-bruise-wrap-burst

I see some really nice SC 245s out there. A lot cheaper too....I wish I could make up my mind. I loved my SC245 but I LOVED my 594 SC....
Any input from someone who may own both would be helpful...

I have owned the Frederick Akesson SC245 which I think is one of the top-of-the-line SE models, I put Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros, in it.
Spectacular guitar, Probably better than 75% of the Les Paul's, Thunderous tight power chords. I have a PRS 594, double cut. they are extremely similar guitars for sure. the ebony fretboard on the Akesson definitely was more percussive string attack. so the guitars are tonally different from that aspect, That's why I let the guitar go I just didn't quite bond with the ebony tone, as well as no coil split, but I did keep it in the family I gave it to my son. I really really like the flexibility of the 594 coil splitting, Really Really really, nice feature For me, I use it constantly. But you do have to prioritize what is the most value to you. The other minor drawback for the 594 is the LT Bridge pickup, for a good percentage of the players, is not hot enough, I put a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge of my 594,I feel the guitar is perfect now, The range of music that can be covered is incredible. The neck pickup LT is superb. A 57/08 In the bridge of the 594 is also unbelievably excellent. so if you want to play classic hard rock the LT bridge does not quite make it there for about 33% of the players,(However it is very close and very good), For blues the LT is everything you could dream of. you can solve it with perfect booster pedal, some have suggested. so I would say the guitars are very similar tonally, if they have the same electronics, That's probably the major differences is they come with a lot of different configurations,
so I would focus on,
1. the music you play, choosing the pickup first. 5708 5815 5815 LT
2. your desire or lack for coil splitting, I think you can find SC245 with coil splits.
3. Finally the money, which to me is less important if I find the guitar that has the set up, Or configuration in a PRS, and the attractive looks, just buy it, You know that you won't regret it three months from now an extra $200 or $500 is meaningless, By the time September rolls around.

As you know they're both really excellent, it's a good problem to have, no matter which one you buy your likely to be satisfied.

The 594 single cut is slightly thicker, just barely something like the 1/16th of an inch thicker.

I think the SC 245 can run 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 Pounds to 594's 7 3/4 to 8 3/4 pound. I would say the thickness is a very small consideration.
they are nearly identical.

Back