PRS SC questions....

Does anyone know why some SC245 models have a one piece bridge and some two? I prefer one.
Was the 594 supposed to be an improvement?

I'd love to know if any of these guitars are weight relieved. I can't find that information.

Are the 245 and 594 models, weight relieved?
Early 245's with the wrap around tail piece were weight relieved.

In 2007 (I think) PRS took the OG singlecut and split it into the 245 and 250 lines; the 245 going in an even more vintage direction, the 250 and more modern one. Both of these were weight relieved.

The original 245 model later became the SC 58 model and then the SC 245 model again; both of these having 2 piece bridges.

I'm assuming the SC245, SC58 and SC594 are fairly easy to play with such a short scale length. Then again I don't notice a huge difference between my LP and SC250 even though one is 2.75 and one is 25.

I thought the 594 is 2.6 which is shorter and I don't know of any Gibsons with a 2.45 scale. Mine are all 2.75.
Paul came up with the 24.5 thing (again, since it was previously used before the SC came out) based on a particularly sweet 50’s LP he had, or at least that was what he said about it at the time the 245 came out.

There has also been some 335’s and random Gibson’s from random era’s with it too (I guess).

I dunno, while I agree with scale length having an effect on tone (and playability, naturally) when we get into differences of a couple millimeters… lol, my brain shuts down.

I’m a size queen! I need at least a 1/2” to feel anything! :p

Hehehe....:)

I agree. A bigger difference is Gibson LP to strat but my LP to PRS SC250 is minor.

That said, a really short scale of 2.45 could be fun for tight chords and fast runs. :)
I would just need heavy arse strings!

Hehehe....:)

I agree. A bigger difference is Gibson LP to strat but my LP to PRS SC250 is minor.

That said, a really short scale of 2.45 could be fun for tight chords and fast runs. :)
I would just need heavy arse strings!
Dude, they’re super fun! Maybe grab a used SE 245 just to try out the scale length? Then just sell it if you decide it’s not for you, those things cost like, a tank of gas for a pickup truck these days.

So it's so confusing.

I'm. Seeing old Singlecuts, old McCarty models when they were doublecut which I loved...

I see nitro finished wrap around 245s too...

Ugh... Too many choices...

In my searching, a near mint 2006 double cut McCarty popped up and I'm so tempted. That guitar was so fat sounding. Thicker body than a Custom 22 and fat pickups with a thick neck that added to thr fat tone.

Then I see later doublecut McCarties with the two piece bridge but I think the wrap around is the one to have.

So a 2009 SC245 McCarty nitro finish with wraparound bridge would not be weight relieved???

I would love to get a 245, install an adjustable bridge if I hit intonation issues with drop tuning and maybe install a Tremonti Bridge pickup. :)

Did these have the cool tap?
I actually prefer the 5 way rotary as I found the phase switching was more useful than the thinner cool tap tones.

Hey guys,
I had a 2003 McCarty and liked it quite a bit, but in recent years I've see all sorts of McCarty models. I see some that are double cut with two piece bridge and some that are singlecut with wraparound bridge and two piece. I think one piece is more my thing but something looks so cool about the double cut McCarty with two piece. I see some charcoal flame or burst that are unreal. I know they are versatile from pop or country to metal.

On thr Singlecuts like the early Singlecut models, the SC245, SC594, SC250, etc....
Are any of these considered the most versatile? My 1994 CE22 has a five way rotary and is versatile with in and out of phase switching. My McCarty had a push pull pot.
On the Singlecutsnim looking at, do most have coil splitting or phase switching, etc? I have to research that.
I'm playing with a cover band that does a variety from pop to rock to grunge to metal so having some form of pickup splitting or switching could be nice.

If I'm not a trem guy, is it worth it to get a Tremonti? I am a big guy with big hands and worry that thin neck will not be my thing. I have always used Gibson 50s necks or PRS wide fat.

Oh, I find a limited edition SC245 in a Nitro finish and 57/08 pickups. Is there much difference with nitro finish?
I doubt it. My SC250 is not nitro and sounds huge!

This is amazing...

Thanks.

Last edited:
With regards to the Tremonti, it is available in both a tremolo and fixed bridge version. If you are not a tremolo player (neither am I) it may be worth checking out the fixed bridge version. Fluff (Riffs, beards, and gear on Youtube) has a few videos where he compared his SC 594 to a Gibson Les Paul and then a newer video where he went through his Tremonti (w/tremolo) and talked through the differences. That may be a good place to start.

My SC594 is tuned to D standard and an amazingly versatile instrument, as is my DC 594. Both of them are able to cover the full range (my range be a bit narrow for some of the more skilled players on these forums) of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana, Bad Religion, Deftones, and Mastadon. I originally looked at the Tremonti, but opted for the SC594 because I did not need the higher output pick-ups nor did I have an issue with the 594's thicker neck. It is also a little cheaper.

You also asked about push/pull and yes both the 594 and SC594 have push/pull on the tone pots.

With regards to the Tremonti, it is available in both a tremolo and fixed bridge version. If you are not a tremolo player (neither am I) it may be worth checking out the fixed bridge version. Fluff (Riffs, beards, and gear on Youtube) has a few videos where he compared his SC 594 to a Gibson Les Paul and then a newer video where he went through his Tremonti (w/tremolo) and talked through the differences. That may be a good place to start.

My SC594 is tuned to D standard and an amazingly versatile instrument, as is my DC 594. Both of them are able to cover the full range (my range be a bit narrow for some of the more skilled players on these forums) of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana, Bad Religion, Deftones, and Mastadon. I originally looked at the Tremonti, but opted for the SC594 because I did not need the higher output pick-ups nor did I have an issue with the 594's thicker neck. It is also a little cheaper.

You also asked about push/pull and yes both the 594 and SC594 have push/pull on the tone pots.
594 seems sweet.
You play those heavy bands with stock pickups? What are the pups again? Alnico II?
I prefer a one piece bridge and not a two piece. I hear guys say the one piece bridge guitars sound fatter or bigger? Then I hear the opposite.
I was gonna get a new Les Paul but I'm back on the PRS kick.
I want something a bit different from my SC250.
Maybe an early singlecut but I'd swap the bridge and pickup so that's extra.
Or I can just get a nice 245 or 594.
You play heavy music like me do that's good! :)
I also play heavier stuff it your bands are right up my alley.

Are the 245 and 594 models weight relieved? I forget, have to read thru this again.... Lol

What's a stripped 58?

594 seems sweet.
You play those heavy bands with stock pickups? What are the pups again? Alnico II?
I prefer a one piece bridge and not a two piece. I hear guys say the one piece bridge guitars sound fatter or bigger? Then I hear the opposite.
I was gonna get a new Les Paul but I'm back on the PRS kick.
I want something a bit different from my SC250.
Maybe an early singlecut but I'd swap the bridge and pickup so that's extra.
Or I can just get a nice 245 or 594.
You play heavy music like me do that's good! :)
I also play heavier stuff it your bands are right up my alley.

Are the 245 and 594 models weight relieved? I forget, have to read thru this again.... Lol

What's a stripped 58?

Back