PRS SC questions....

boardn10

Any comments on early to mid Singlecut Trem models? What pickups were in those?

I assume the trem is not floating which is cool. I prefer flat on body like I have my older CE22.

I have a 2006 (or 2008) - sorry I forget the year. I have to double check. It an SC250 hardtail that I love.
This has me thinking of getting a SC Trem. I found a nice 2003 whale blue trem with wide fat neck. Having a second PRS SC, this time with trem and different pickups could be cool. My SC250 has the hardtail and hot pickups. Reminds me of the Tremonti hardtail.
I even considered a Tremonti Trem but it's so much less expensive finding a nice SC Trem. Could always change pickups if needed.

Curious if the frets are the same as my SC250?

So I was looking at getting another Les Paul, maybe something with better upper fret access like the LP Modern but that still has the smaller frets. I could always install jumbo frets.

Even the Adam Jones LP looks nice but it lacks the neck heel carve for upper fret access I love.

Thanks for comments and experiences.

Last edited:
I believe they came with #7 pickups?

The trem is floating as are all PRS trems (until John Mayer moved in the neighborhood).

Cool guitars though! More like a CU22 with an extra strong neck joint than an SC250 with a wang.

I had one that played fantastic. They came with #6 pickups. Some people like them, some don’t. I didn’t care for them. I swapped them for 58/15LTs which were perfect for that guitar. I like how it felt like a CU22, not as hefty as my old SC245. Sadly singlecuts and I don’t get along so away it went.

87NN4c9.jpg

I believe they came with #7 pickups?

The trem is floating as are all PRS trems (until John Mayer moved in the neighborhood).

Cool guitars though! More like a CU22 with an extra strong neck joint than an SC250 with a wang.
Thanks, I talked to the guy. He said #6 pickups. I was hoping for #7 which I tried years ago. Plus PRS has a bunch of new pickuos I like that could be swapped in.

So I have a 1994 CE22 but the trem is locked down right on the body so I can only drop pitch. Is that still considered floating?

Why is this more like a Cu22 than an SC250? It's a singlecut and 9 lbs which is heavier than my SC250 that is 8.2 lbs but sounds massive.

I had one that played fantastic. They came with #6 pickups. Some people like them, some don’t. I didn’t care for them. I swapped them for 58/15LTs which were perfect for that guitar. I like how it felt like a CU22, not as hefty as my old SC245. Sadly singlecuts and I don’t get along so away it went.

87NN4c9.jpg
Confused why it feels like a Cu22?

I had a Cu22 I never bonded with. My CE22 was better all around and my SC250 sounds huge, maybe bigger than my heavier Les Paul.
The SC Trem in this pic is like my SC250, no? Just with trem.

I like the color of yours and the birds. Maybe I'll hold out.

I am a singlecut guy all around. :)

Which is why the LP Modern still interests me.

Or I get another LP Standard or SC250. My two favorite guitars of all time.

What other PRS models are close to the SC250? Tremonti?

The Tremonti is an incredible SC trem model, I absolutely love it, except the Tremonti pickups aren't to my taste. I replaced mine with BKP Mule/Riff Raff and have never looked back.

I had a Cu22 I never bonded with. My CE22 was better all around and my SC250 sounds huge, maybe bigger than my heavier Les Paul.

It feels more like a Custom 22 than an SC245 because the body is the same thickness as the CU22 vs the fatter SC body. That’s all really. It’s a great playing guitar

There is the body thickness factor, but also keep in mind that the SC245's and SC250's from the time period yours is from were weight relieved/chambered. The early SC's, including the SC trem models were not. Tremonti's have never been weight relieved/chambered.

Another model similar to your SC250 would be an OG SC model. Key differences would be: vintage tuners, non intonatable bridge and the #7 pickups. Great guitars. I still have a 20th Anny AP model from way back that served me very well and still does! I don't have the #7 pickups anymore (they were awesome though), but I am about to drop some DGT pickups in it, which I think will rip!

The Tremonti is an incredible SC trem model, I absolutely love it, except the Tremonti pickups aren't to my taste. I replaced mine with BKP Mule/Riff Raff and have never looked back.
Yes I love the Temonti but couldn't tell much difference from my SC250, except mine is hardtail. I prefer hardtail but a trem is cool now and then. But I could easily get away with never having a trem again.

I love the SC250 pickups so much. Bridge pickup sounds massive and fat and neck is perfect vintage chime.

Can't justify the Tremonti cost. It's like an extra $1000-2000 for the name.

It feels more like a Custom 22 than an SC245 because the body is the same thickness as the CU22 vs the fatter SC body. That’s all really. It’s a great playing guitar
So what about my SC250? It seems as fat as my Les Paul!!

So the singlecut trem is a thinner body?
Oh, that stinks. I like fat LP type bodies.

Which singlecut trem model is more like my SC250 or the Tremonti? I also want the longer 25" scale.
I do lower tunings too, but maybe a I'd like the 245! Maybe a 245 trem.

What would be like an SC250 with a Wang? Only a Tremonti?

So I'm looking to get a new guitar this summer. Either an LP or a PRS.
If PRS I want different than my SC250 but I want it to have the beefy body and maybe a trem.

SC245? I guess the 245 has an LP like thickness like my 250 and the Tremonti.

I like the SC models with thick bodies.

"There is the body thickness factor, but also keep in mind that the SC245's and SC250's from the time period yours is from were weight relieved/chambered. The early SC's, including the SC trem models were not. Tremonti's have never been weight relieved/chambered."

Thanks for that info VHTStark.

Yes I looked at older singlecuts that were solid wood like the tremonti. If I could find a tremonti for $3000 or less, I might bite. Are they all the fatter body style?

The SC trem I found from 2003 that is like the Custom 22 - thinner body, is heavier than my thicker SC250!

So the early singlecuts I find used are not weight relieved, trem or hardtail. Are they all thin Cu22 bodies except the tremonti and SC250?
Wish they made a 250 trem.

So darn confused. I found an old Black 2006 SC solid body but it has the standard none adjustable bridge which I'd want to replace.

Also the neck on this SC250 is ideal.

Confusing why some SC245 models have a stop tail and some just the hardtail.

I'd love a Tremonti for $3000 or less.
Or a fatter bodied SC. I saw a guy selling a 2001 black non weight relieved with hardtail and it looked thick like an LP but had the standard non-intonatable bridge.

Found this...

Last edited:
So what about my SC250? It seems as fat as my Les Paul!!

So the singlecut trem is a thinner body?
Oh, that stinks. I like fat LP type bodies.

Which singlecut trem model is more like my SC250 or the Tremonti? I also want the longer 25" scale.
I do lower tunings too, but maybe a I'd like the 245! Maybe a 245 trem.

What would be like an SC250 with a Wang? Only a Tremonti?

So I'm looking to get a new guitar this summer. Either an LP or a PRS.
If PRS I want different than my SC250 but I want it to have the beefy body and maybe a trem.

SC245? I guess the 245 has an LP like thickness like my 250 and the Tremonti.

I like the SC models with thick bodies.

"There is the body thickness factor, but also keep in mind that the SC245's and SC250's from the time period yours is from were weight relieved/chambered. The early SC's, including the SC trem models were not. Tremonti's have never been weight relieved/chambered."

Thanks for that info VHTStark.

Yes I looked at older singlecuts that were solid wood like the tremonti. If I could find a tremonti for $3000 or less, I might bite. Are they all the fatter body style?

The SC trem I found from 2003 that is like the Custom 22 - thinner body, is heavier than my thicker SC250!

So the early singlecuts I find used are not weight relieved, trem or hardtail. Are they all thin Cu22 bodies except the tremonti and SC250?
Wish they made a 250 trem.

So darn confused. I found an old Black 2006 SC solid body but it has the standard none adjustable bridge which I'd want to replace.

Also the neck on this SC250 is ideal.
The Tremonti would be the closest to a SC250 with a wang, but it’s W/T neck profile only.

I used to dream of an SC PRS with a trem, but could never find one with specs I love (that they didn’t make like, 12 of and cost $10k).

It’s fine though, Santana’s (West Streets to be more exact) proved to be what I was after anyway.

The Tremonti would be the closest to a SC250 with a wang, but it’s W/T neck profile only.

I used to dream of an SC PRS with a trem, but could never find one with specs I love (that they didn’t make like, 12 of and cost $10k).

It’s fine though, Santana’s (West Streets to be more exact) proved to be what I was after anyway.
I have big hands but never tried the thin neck. :(

What if I just want another PRS Singlecut hardtail that is different from my SC250?

Or maybe I'd like the SC trem that is like the Cu22!

There is the body thickness factor, but also keep in mind that the SC245's and SC250's from the time period yours is from were weight relieved/chambered. The early SC's, including the SC trem models were not. Tremonti's have never been weight relieved/chambered.

Another model similar to your SC250 would be an OG SC model. Key differences would be: vintage tuners, non intonatable bridge and the #7 pickups. Great guitars. I still have a 20th Anny AP model from way back that served me very well and still does! I don't have the #7 pickups anymore (they were awesome though), but I am about to drop some DGT pickups in it, which I think will rip!
Can't find an OG SC.

I have big hands but never tried the thin neck. :(

What if I just want another PRS Singlecut hardtail that is different from my SC250?

Or maybe I'd like the SC trem that is like the Cu22!

If you just want another SC without a trem, you’ve got a pile to pick from.

I’ve been looking for the right “Ted” model (basically a 245 with a Santana headstock) for awhile, but haven’t pulled the trigger.

245’s, Ted’s, Stripped 58’s, SC Hollowbody’s, and of course SC594’s.

Yes I love the Temonti but couldn't tell much difference from my SC250, except mine is hardtail. I prefer hardtail but a trem is cool now and then. But I could easily get away with never having a trem again.

I love the SC250 pickups so much. Bridge pickup sounds massive and fat and neck is perfect vintage chime.

Can't justify the Tremonti cost. It's like an extra $1000-2000 for the name.
You asked about SC Trem PRSi in your original post. The Tremonti is simply a signature model, it's no more expensive than any other core model. Good luck in your search for a stoptail.

If you just want another SC without a trem, you’ve got a pile to pick from.

I’ve been looking for the right “Ted” model (basically a 245 with a Santana headstock) for awhile, but haven’t pulled the trigger.

245’s, Ted’s, Stripped 58’s, SC Hollowbody’s, and of course SC594’s.
Right but I prefer at least a 24.75 _ 24" scale like my LPs and PRS models plus I'd like the fatter body and non weight relieved since I already have weight relieved singlecuts. I want at least one solid hunk of wood.

Is the 245 a 24.5 scale length? That's shorter than a Gibson.
I play some drop tunings so it's nice having some extra scale length.

Not familiar with the SC594.

You asked about SC Trem PRSi in your original post. The Tremonti is simply a signature model, it's no more expensive than any other core model. Good luck in your search for a stoptail.
That's what I thought but I find lots of SC models between $2000 - 3000 but most Tremonti I find are over $3000.
I have my limits on price and I am staying under $3000.

Right but I prefer at least a 24.75 _ 24" scale like my LPs and PRS models plus I'd like the fatter body and non weight relieved since I already have weight relieved singlecuts. I want at least one solid hunk of wood.

Is the 245 a 24.5 scale length? That's shorter than a Gibson.
I play some drop tunings so it's nice having some extra scale length.

Not familiar with the SC594.
The SC 594 is the Gibson scale length. 24.5 is the other sometimes Gibson scale length.

Thanks I thought all LPs were 24.75".

Anyway, the SC24, SC594 look great. Does one play faster or seem more modern than the other? I lean more toward modern PRS models over vintage.

Love my SC250, but a different singlecut would be cool. Thanks for the ideas, guys!

If I had the standard PRS bridge, I'd eve tually replace with the adjustable bridge.

I am guessing the PRS wrap around bridge is smoother and more comfy than the clunky stop tail. I see some PRSi use the stop tail.

So many to choose from.
594 vs SC245s vs SC58...

I ant solid wood and the upper neck heel carve for great upper fret access like my SC250! Are the 594 models like that?
A lot I am finding seem to be McCarty 294 models which I think are more vintage with chunky LP style neck heels.

Last edited:
Back