PRS SC 58 - Why was it discontinued?

CVS

Not so new member
I am trying to find out why the PRS SC 58 was discontinued fairly quickly after it was introduced. Was there any other reason other than "lack of sales"? A stripped down version was introduced so maybe it had something to do with the price point?? Replaced by another model?

All thoughts are welcome

I am trying to find out why the PRS SC 58 was discontinued fairly quickly after it was introduced. Was there any other reason other than "lack of sales"? A stripped down version was introduced so maybe it had something to do with the price point?? Replaced by another model?
All of these are true:
Lack of sales
Price point
Replaced by another model

SC58 replaced the original SC245 when the 2 piece bridge was introduced, street price around $4k. After a while they introduced the "stripped 58" which was the same guitar with less bling that sold for around $2600. Then after that they reintroduced the same guitars as the SC245 again, with the SC58's bling as an Artist package.

Yep, an SC245 with the Artist Pack is virtually the exact same guitar as the SC58.

The "basic" SC245 is the old "Stripped" 58.

It made sense to consolidate when they wanted to make them permanent models.

The "basic" SC245 is the old "Stripped" 58.

Except for some reason I think the Stripped 58 didn't have the neck binding, the rosewood headstock veneer, and birds were an option. The SC245 does have these things.

The SC58 had them, too, plus the Artist top.

Am I wrong in this memory of the Stripper I had?

Also, my Stripped 58 sounded every bit as stellar as my SC58. It was absolutely killer.

Whitecat & Les,

Thanks for the additional input. I would like to add the the current (at least 2015 and 2016) SC245's now have 58-15's while the SC 58 had 57-08's. In addition the SC245 now has push pull tone knob coil taps (not sure what year they added this feature) while the SC 58 has no coil taps.

Ah yes, you two are correct in that this model year some of those things have been added (the binding was added a couple years ago too).

Didn't know about the coil taps, that's new although personally I'd find that welcome. I used to own a couple "Strippers" and I had gone as far as buying some push-pull pots to install into one of them but then ended up trading the guitar on before I could get around to doing it. :)

I believe with the Artist Pack you can still get 57/08s.

All the other stuff, well, that's just "PRS progress." Just as the Custom 24 is different today than when it was first introduced...

I know that they are supposed to be the same and all that, but the original SC58s "seem" different to me. More than just the sum of the newer SC245 added parts...

SC58-4_zps1a2d4956.jpg

I know that they are supposed to be the same and all that, but the original SC58s "seem" different to me. More than just the sum of the newer SC245 added parts...

SC58-4_zps1a2d4956.jpg

Maybe it's just a matter of each guitar being slightly different from the others? Though there could have been tweaks here and there. Hard to know...

My own SC58 had an ebony fretboard and 53/10 pickups, so I can't directly compare it to the SC245 I had.

I think it was late in the life of the SC58 but they also offered it with an artist package option which in my guitar's case meant quilt top, 53/10's and an ebony board.

I think it was late in the life of the SC58 but they also offered it with an artist package option which in my guitar's case meant quilt top, 53/10's and an ebony board.

Which is strange because the SC58 was already fully "Artist-appointed"... hopefully there was no extra charge for what (at the time) would have been "side grades" !

Have seen a few examples of yours though, so you're right, they are out there...

After looking at all of the responses above, and you are in the market to buy a used PRS on line (as I was up until yesterday - more to come on another thread later today), you need to make sure you understand all of the features of the specific guitar you are buying (I know I am preaching to the choir:D but I need to continually remind myself of this). PRS is a very innovative company to say the least, and deviations from the published standards are common.

Which is strange because the SC58 was already fully "Artist-appointed"... hopefully there was no extra charge for what (at the time) would have been "side grades" !

Have seen a few examples of yours though, so you're right, they are out there...

Yes, there was an artist upgrade for the SC58, but it wasn't full AP price. I had an AP SC58 with 53/10s and an ebony board. This one (it was delicious sounding and if I had it to do all over again, I would not sell it):

Back