PRS SC 245 Old v. New

slev

I miss my old SC, and most recently I've been playing a newly acquired Mira MT and really dig the Mira/245 pickups. I'm looking for some feedback on those pickups in the older SC 245 model and then the older SC 245 vs. the new iteration with the 57/08s and the 2-piece bridge. I'll throw this out there as well, I prefer the 59/09s to the 57/08s and to me the pickups in my Mira feel/sound close to the 59/09s, maybe just a touch hotter in the bridge. I'm trying to decide if a SC 245 with the Mira/245 pickups will give me something close to what I'm getting out of my Mira. For those who recognize it, this is an emerging case of GAS.

The design of the Mira and SC 245 make them sound VERY different, even with the same pickups. I A/B'd those guitars when they came out. The most simple difference I can give is the Mira sounded more "aggressive" than the 245, while the 245 had a lot more girth, body and heft in the low end. At the time, I preferred the aggressive nature of the Mira. Somewhat odd, because in general, I usually like a thicker, beefier tone. That said, I LOVE my stripped 58(maybe my favorite guitar). Maybe the 5708's that came in it, or the 5909s I have in it now are the bigger difference...or maybe the 2 piece bridge? I really can't say. I don't own a Mira but do love that model. Tough call.

I've had a Mira, the older SC model with 25" scale, a Stripped 58 and an SC58.

The Mira is an incredible guitar. It really stands on its own, and is absolutely wonderful and versatile.

The newer bridges and pickups on the 58s and the 245s take the guitar into another territory, IMHO, and while I really liked my older Singlecut models, I think the 2 piece bridge in particular gives the latest models an absolutely killer tone, and I'd highly recommend looking at a newer one.

The newer bridges and pickups on the 58s and the 245s take the guitar into another territory, IMHO, and while I really liked my older Singlecut models, I think the 2 piece bridge in particular gives the latest models an absolutely killer tone, and I'd highly recommend looking at a newer one.

That has been my thinking. I also agree that the Mira is great. I've been surprised at how versatile it is. I may have to consider moving some other gear and looking into a new SC 245 or possibly a used Stripper.

Has anyone had a chance to play a new SC 245?

I'm wondering how it might compare the Strpper or to my stock 2005 LP Standard. My LP has got an awesome bite to the tone which is why I let my SC go.

Last edited:
I used to have a SC250 that I loved the feel, but didn't bond with the 250 pickups. Instead of swapping pickups, I traded it off (for a 513, so I'm not complaining!). I've got a Mira with 57/08s, and love it. I agree with vchizzle's comment about the Mira being aggressive. When I'm feeling mean, it's my goto. Definitely has the punchiest mids of all mine.

It's hard to compare pickups in such different bodies. I think you should get a new 245 and let us know what you think (enabling?).

Back