PRS SANTANA SE cheap parts

Richard Medeiros

I was looking at the pots that came with this guitar. I was utterly shocked that the pots are the same used on an entry level $129.00 squire. 500k instead of 250k. Did not expect this with an $800.00 dollar guitar. The pick ups are also a very low level entry humbucker. Lot of hype behind these guitars, bought and gobbled up by newbees. If you have some basic knowledge with the parts, you quickly find out that PRS simply not using equivelent hardware and pick ups with the quality standards other companies are using in this price range. At least on this model, not sure about other models they make. Im totally dismayed with what i see on this guitar, very disappointing. The cheapest pots on the market, what they stick in an 800 dollar guitar. Do they think people are stupid or what. Like i would not figure this crap out. Hello. Don't think i will buy another PRS. I find that Epiphone and Fender at least give you what you pay for. Epiphone for one, parts wise are over the top for the price. Very high end hardware, even down at the 600 dollar range. Same can be said for Fender. You can fool some people.. but not all. Educated buyer will discover this cheap tactic everytime. They lost me.

Last edited:
Don't know. Both my SE's came with the mostly large Alpha pots. Nothing wrong with alpha. Just the tiny ones are a bit wimpy and with the track being small circumference you don't get as much fine control as a large pot.

Most sub $500 guitars come with the small alphas. Alphas work well and I actually prefer the slightly higher damping when you turn them than bournes. I find those too easy to knock by accident when strumming, especially on strat volume knobs.

The toggle switches on SE's tend to be a bit naff and get a bit wobbly and less than satisfactory in the switching department after a while. SE CU24 has a full size volume and mini push/pull pot. I'll probably switch out the tone pot eventually because it feels different and a bit cheap. Large pots in ZM are all fine after 3 years.

I'm glad not to have opened up my Santana SE because it's the first guitar that has humbuckers that sound good to me. And that wide fat neck profile is even better than a Fender soft V. I dig it and will continue to love on PRS.

General rule of thumb is 500k for Hums and 250k for singles... Cool thing is, pots are fairly cheap and easy to change if you have an iron.
BTW, since you're finished with PRS, I'll give you a yard for that Santana.

See, the problem you're having is the acoustics under a bridge do favor the extra brightness of low cost singlecoils.

...pick ups are also a very low level entry humbucker. ...Im totally dismayed with what i see on this guitar...

Since you have the guitar handy, take some pictures and show the details that make them a very low level entry humbucker. And then a similar comparison against a high level humbucker. Not an exercise of throwing brand names around, interested in the physical construction differences you note. Any measurable differences in electrical performance are better than subjective opinions. It would be good to share this analysis and any insight you've gained.

Last edited:
main-qimg-2e5cda2388a47bda5feedc09040d14b1.webp

I'll reiterate my $129.00 but add in a batch of home-made chocolate chip cookies! There!:p

Back