PRS S2 Studio?

AaeCee

Although I wasn't looking for one or even a new guitar, I came across a mint example for what seemed like a good price at a local shop and a very tempting morsel it was. Finish was a nice dark burst. I was in a hurry and didn't get to play it yet, but have listened to numerous clips and reviews and it seems like a ton of guitar for the money.

So what's the opinion here? FTR, I own a core Starla which I love and don't want to get something too similar, but the differences with the S2 Studio seem fairly broad.

I’d really like to try an S2 studio. I love the D single pickups and I think a Starla pickup is a great pairing. I’m still trying to find what’s close to the core Starla pickups. I want to get an S2 Thinline and put some Starla’s or something close into it.

I have an original run Studio and it’s really cool seeing the evolution of that model.

My S2 Studio is insanely good.

It's so nice that I have these irrational wonderings that..... how could anything anyone else has be any better?

Granted, I've only also owned a PRS SECu24 and a Les Paul Studio. But that's my $. 02.

My S2 Studio is insanely good.

It's so nice that I have these irrational wonderings that..... how could anything anyone else has be any better?

Granted, I've only also owned a PRS SECu24 and a Les Paul Studio. But that's my $. 02.

If you think the S2 is good, you should give one of these a try!

uGCxTJN.jpg

My S2 studio doesn’t sound like any other guitar I’ve ever owned or played. I get good quack and cluck in the two and four positions. The bridge pickup is just stupid with overdrive. every time I take a solo I get a buzz. I knew I was in trouble when they introduced it. Get it, you won’t be sorry. It’s one of the great underrated PRS. I even like it more than a 22 fret core studio I had briefly. YMMV.

I don't have the S2 Studio, but have 2 Velas - same pickups, just one less. The Type D singles are freaking amazing, and while I'm not sure how close the bridge pickup is to the core Starla, it's a fantastic pickup as well. I'd be looking for a Studio to complement my Velas except that I'm so dang happy that I'm not looking for other guitars at the moment :).

If you think the S2 is good, you should give one of these a try!

uGCxTJN.jpg
Oh, I know. I know.

I wish I knew someone near me who had one of those. I'm not a good enough player yet to deserve to own that though.

In the mean time, what I don't truly know won't give me (too much) GAS. My ignorance at least leaves me in a fairly happy place.

Oh, I know. I know.

I wish I knew someone near me who had one of those. I'm not a good enough player yet to deserve to own that though.

In the mean time, what I don't truly know won't give me (too much) GAS. My ignorance at least leaves me in a fairly happy place.

Where are you located? I’m in Ca presently but moving back to Co soon. It’s a phenomenal guitar. I’m a huge fan of 90’s PRS’ personally.

Still would LOVE to try one… never seen one in the wild. Or even, the Cincinnati area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raising the dead here, sorry. I’m kind of fishing around for a strat-ish guitar. My current and only is an SE Custom 22. I like it, but I find the split tones “OK” at best. Ik finding as I listen to music with a new understanding of what guitars are used, a lot of what I like is played on a strat. Classic rock, Texas blues type stuff.

Anyway, I’ve run across a used, 2018 black S2 Studio on Craigslist @ $1,250. This seems a bit on the high side given $1,399 new price. It seems like $900 to $1,000 might be more reasonable? This gets in the territory of a new SE SilverSky.

I’m not sure I’ll do anything, as I’m also looking at acoustic guitars, and funds are not unlimited. The S2 Studio did peak my interest enough to google and as here, though.

Any comments on the S2 Studio vs the SE SilverSky, and on pricing for a used, supposedly excellent condition S2 Studio are very appreciated. TIA, all.

Two different guitars to me. SS vs Studio
Understood. Probably not a fair question. The SS is essentially a PRS take on a strat. I’m less sure about the S2 Studio. Is it along the lines of an HSS strat? Does the humbucker split “well” as in sound pretty close to a single coil? I’m just captivated by the look of the S2 Studio, as compared to a traditional strat. The S2 Studio seems quite versatile. I guess I’m wondering if it is versatile enough to get far enough into strat territory to scratch the “strat-ish” itch? And yeah, these are all opinions, my mileage will definitely vary…. I can play an SE SS locally. The S2 Studio is not in stock at my local shop, and I won’t get a good demo on a CL look over. Plus most folks here are much more versed in guitar and PRS stuff than I am. I’m a new player.

Understood. Probably not a fair question. The SS is essentially a PRS take on a strat. I’m less sure about the S2 Studio. Is it along the lines of an HSS strat? Does the humbucker split “well” as in sound pretty close to a single coil? I’m just captivated by the look of the S2 Studio, as compared to a traditional strat. The S2 Studio seems quite versatile. I guess I’m wondering if it is versatile enough to get far enough into strat territory to scratch the “strat-ish” itch? And yeah, these are all opinions, my mileage will definitely vary…. I can play an SE SS locally. The S2 Studio is not in stock at my local shop, and I won’t get a good demo on a CL look over. Plus most folks here are much more versed in guitar and PRS stuff than I am. I’m a new player.
You're right a lot of it is very subjective. My thoughts..

It's my experience the only way to scratch the itch if you want something, say a S style guitar is to go with the SS or a strat.

That said the D coil pickups are like singles on roids. I really dig the sound. The Starla bridge pickup splits very well and all in all is a pretty versatile pickup. The Studio is an excellent guitar.

You could always ask the Studio seller to meet you at a guitar store, maybe even one with a SSSE, to get a good demo and/or an A/B. I'd do it as a seller, but I'm always looking for a reason to go the guitar store.

I have an S2 Studio and a SS, both great guitars, I would say the divide is two main questions - do you want a humbucker bridge pickup, and what kind of amp/setup are you going to be playing it through.

The strength of the Studio is that it can slide right into a rig set up for other PRS-type guitars and get great single coil tones, and a unique bridge humbucker tone, without really needing to tweak anything. If you're already playing amps/pedals that you like your PRS through, you'll probably immediately love the Studio with very little adjustment needed. Due to the all mahogany construction, the body gives more fatness in the low mids than an S-type guitar. The bridge humbucker is a fantastic pickup, more jangly and not as mid forward as PAF, and the best coil split I've used short of something like the 408 pickups or multi-tap 58/15's. As a whole, the Studio has an old school vibe, definitely not an 80's super Strat thing... kinda like if PRS had ever made a guitar for the Sears catalog, like an oddball Silvertone on steroids, 50's/60's pop jangle and great single coil sounds.

The SS, on the other hand, at least from my experience, is what I always want a Strat to be, but never is - different tonal profile, skinner sound in the low mids, but put it with the right amp and still a big thumping bass end, non-anemic midrange, more compressed and immediate note attack although can also be much smoother sounding than modern F guitars. The great sound you hear out of excellent late 50's/early 60's Strats, really, plus some. Just needs a different amp than the Studio, or at least one set up differently. The Studio can sound dull through an amp set up for a SS, and the SS can sound thin through an amp set up for the Studio (and other more traditional PRS guitars).

Price - given the craziness of the used market lately, and people realizing how good (and unfortunately rare) S2 Studios are, $1250 is on the high side but not unreasonable, I've seen them listed above what they sold for new. What's a good deal price, I would say around $900-1000 in good condition.

@andy474x , @SinSir , thank you both, that helps a bunch. For the record, either a Mesa mkv 25 combo, but usually through a Mesa 1x12 open, or a pod go, either into monitors or 4 cable method into the boogie. I guess I’ll see how motivated the seller is. I almost hope not too, as I’d be better of picking up an acoustic…. I’m just captivated by the studio. thanks again.

He’s down to $1150. Still a bit high to me. If it hasn’t sold by end of the week, I’ll probably end up with it. It sounds and is described as being a good match for the blues to classic rock stuff I like. Seems like the humbucker will even cover the 80’s 90’s hair band stuff we’ll enough. Only bummer is I’ll probably end up selling/trading my SE Custom 22 to get an acoustic…

Anyone have a recommendation for a hard shell case just in case (sorry) I decide to get one?

I bought a Gator case for my S2 Standard and it worked great.
Not sure you will find a Studio for less than $1100 these days. Especially if it is in excellent condition. I’ve been looking for a Studio for several months now, although I am pleased with my S2 Starla

Well, I did it. Sort of:

Should be here next week. Apparently they got 2 of them straight from PRS. They they were a mini run for Europe, or a wood library run? Or something.

I got the last one. I dig the all black pick guard. I couldn’t justify a used one @ $1,100 with a new one available at a (sort of) decent price.

I’ll do a proper NGD thread when it gets here.

Back