PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin

MayPRS

Hi all,

new to the forum (just introduced myself on the appropriate thread). :)

I'm looking for a nice PRS to add to my collection - I found a 2016 PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin locally for 650 EUR (no case or bag). Overall in nice condition, just two small scratches on the body.

Any of you have any experience with this 2016 model? Is it a fair price?

Sorry for the questions but I'm completely novice regarding these wonderful guitars.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi all,

new to the forum (just introduced myself on the appropriate thread). :)

I'm looking for a nice PRS to add to my collection - I found a 2016 PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin locally for 650 EUR (no case or bag). Overall in nice condition, just two small scratches on the body.

Any of you have any experience with this 2016 model? Is it a fair price?

Sorry for the questions but I'm completely novice regarding these wonderful guitars.

Many thanks in advance!

Hello and Welcome...

The S2 standard is a great guitar (like all PRS really) and therefore you can't go wrong. I don't know the prices in your area or how well it compares to a brand new PRS S2 Standard in terms of price and what that comes with. I would have thought the S2 Standard would come with a Gig Bag originally - even an SE ships with a Gig Bag. I know the S2 Standard is the 'lowest' tier of the US made PRS.

Its all relative though and how you feel about the guitar itself. If you feel its the 'best' guitar you can get for €650 (or €600 if you negotiate), then its certainly worth it - I doubt you could buy a 'new' one for that price and if it feels like its worth the money, then buy it. A guitar is only worth what a person is willing to pay and whether they themselves feel the price for having an instrument that they can be inspired to play and create music on. There are some that question the price of Core PRS, are they really worth 4x the price of an SE custom and others that think that a Core is worth the money. It really depends on individual perspective and how they value both money and gear.

We could all tell you the Guitar is worth €650 but if you don't feel its a great guitar, that you can spend that money and get a guitar that suits you better, then its not worth €650. We could all tell you the guitar is not worth that much and so you don't buy, but you could be missing out on 'the One' that feels just right, sounds perfect and plays like a dream, really inspires you etc - you can't put a value on that. My advice would be to try it out, see how it feels, how it plays and how it sounds. Compare that to anything else in the shop for around the same price and you will know whether its worth the money or not.

Point is, the 'value' of an instrument isn't the 'cost', the 'value' is what you can get from it as an instrument, the music you can play and create, the enjoyment, the inspiration etc. If you spend €650 on it and it sounds great, you play it every day as it feels great, that €650 may well feel like a bargain to have an instrument you love and play but if you spend €650 and not overly keen on the sound, the feel and/or playability doesn't feel quite right to you so you don't play it, then that's not exactly great value - you could have bought a Epiphone or Squire and a Katana Amp and got more value out of that.

The S2 Standards are a no frills, solid and all-round great guitar. You should be able to go straight out and gig with it. Only you will know if you think its cost is justifiable to you and the best way is to play it, compare with other guitars around that price point and decide if its the best use of your money. Like I said, we can all tell you its 'cost' is worth it but if you don't feel that its the 'best' use of your money, that another guitar is a better fit, then it makes more sense to use you money on something else. I am not going to tell you that you should buy the S2 Standard, instead I will tell you to decide whether its the 'best' fit for you for that money and if it is, try to negotiate them down on price - say 10% off or maybe €600 so its an even 'better' deal for you. You could use the scratches and lack of gig-bag to knock a few Euro's off. Its only worth negotiating on price though if you do intend to buy - even if you would still buy at the full asking price.

I don't know if this has helped or not. The TL-DR of it is - You must try the guitar and decide if its worth the asking price to you, whether there is something better for the money or not and if it is the 'one' for you, then try and negotiate a better deal. Whether your negotiations are successful or not, assuming you do decide the guitar is worth the price, I hope you enjoy your new guitar...

Last edited:
That seems like a very good price. I’ve became a fan of everything in the S2 line. It’s ridiculous how well those instruments play sound and feel. Great guitars that I find far superior to SE models, as they should given their prices. A used S2 in the same price range of a new SE Standard range is a really good price in my view.

Hello and Welcome...

The S2 standard is a great guitar (like all PRS really) and therefore you can't go wrong. I don't know the prices in your area or how well it compares to a brand new PRS S2 Standard in terms of price and what that comes with. I would have thought the S2 Standard would come with a Gig Bag originally - even an SE ships with a Gig Bag. I know the S2 Standard is the 'lowest' tier of the US made PRS.

Its all relative though and how you feel about the guitar itself. If you feel its the 'best' guitar you can get for €650 (or €600 if you negotiate), then its certainly worth it - I doubt you could buy a 'new' one for that price and if it feels like its worth the money, then buy it. A guitar is only worth what a person is willing to pay and whether they themselves feel the price for having an instrument that they can be inspired to play and create music on. There are some that question the price of Core PRS, are they really worth 4x the price of an SE custom and others that think that a Core is worth the money. It really depends on individual perspective and how they value both money and gear.

We could all tell you the Guitar is worth €650 but if you don't feel its a great guitar, that you can spend that money and get a guitar that suits you better, then its not worth €650. We could all tell you the guitar is not worth that much and so you don't buy, but you could be missing out on 'the One' that feels just right, sounds perfect and plays like a dream, really inspires you etc - you can't put a value on that. My advice would be to try it out, see how it feels, how it plays and how it sounds. Compare that to anything else in the shop for around the same price and you will know whether its worth the money or not.

Point is, the 'value' of an instrument isn't the 'cost', the 'value' is what you can get from it as an instrument, the music you can play and create, the enjoyment, the inspiration etc. If you spend €650 on it and it sounds great, you play it every day as it feels great, that €650 may well feel like a bargain to have an instrument you love and play but if you spend €650 and not overly keen on the sound, the feel and/or playability doesn't feel quite right to you so you don't play it, then that's not exactly great value - you could have bought a Epiphone or Squire and a Katana Amp and got more value out of that.

The S2 Standards are a no frills, solid and all-round great guitar. You should be able to go straight out and gig with it. Only you will know if you think its cost is justifiable to you and the best way is to play it, compare with other guitars around that price point and decide if its the best use of your money. Like I said, we can all tell you its 'cost' is worth it but if you don't feel that its the 'best' use of your money, that another guitar is a better fit, then it makes more sense to use you money on something else. I am not going to tell you that you should buy the S2 Standard, instead I will tell you to decide whether its the 'best' fit for you for that money and if it is, try to negotiate them down on price - say 10% off or maybe €600 so its an even 'better' deal for you. You could use the scratches and lack of gig-bag to knock a few Euro's off. Its only worth negotiating on price though if you do intend to buy - even if you would still buy at the full asking price.

I don't know if this has helped or not. The TL:DR of it is - You mist try the guitar and decide if its worth the asking price to you, whether there is something better for the money or not and if it is the 'one' for you, then try and negotiate a better deal. Whether your negotiations are successful or not, assuming you do decide the guitar is worth the price, I hope you enjoy your new guitar...

Many thanks for the great advice! A great and detailed post that's making me love this place already :) You make some very nice points and things to think about. And yes this helps a lot!!! :)

That seems like a very good price. I’ve became a fan of everything in the S2 line. It’s ridiculous how well those instruments play sound and feel. Great guitars that I find far superior to SE models, as they should given their prices. A used S2 in the same price range of a new SE Standard range is a really good price in my view.

Thanks for your post. Yes all the reviews I'd read point in that direction. No bling but Maryland craftsmanship which makes it a very very nice guitar.

The first guitar out of the house, for me, is my S2 Studio. I don’t think Mark likes his as much as I like mine. As Mozzi said, different strokes for different folks. Factor in what kind of music you’ll play on it. And enjoy the hell out of whatever you get.

Back