PRS S2 Standard: 22 frets vs 24 frets, gloss vs satin finish

chucktaylor

I'm looking to buy a PRS S2 Standard, but I'm torn between the 22 fret and 24 fret options. I've played a Fender strat for years and probably more comfortable with the 22 fret option, but I also feel like I'm missing out if I don't get those extra 2 frets. I've noticed that the 24 fret option has the pickups closer together. How would that affect the tone?

I'm also indecisive about the gloss and satin options. The gloss looks nicer, in my opinion, but would the finish affect the tone?

Would be great to get some advice before making my final decision.

A 24 fret guitar essentially puts the neck pickup a little closer to the bridge, so that pickup has a slightly clearer and more articulate sound vs a 22 fret.

That being said, I have a couple of S2 standards, 22 fret, and tone/articulation on the neck pickup has been great. Maybe if you were playing fusion or something where you wanted a very clear neck pickup sound, the 24 fret would be the way to go.

On the gloss vs satin question, when it comes to tone my experience is the satin finish is the winner. It's a barely there finish that won't deaden any vibrations, and it comes through. The gloss finish versions are by no means bad, either, but the satin finish can make a monster guitar. Just be prepared for it to relic, that thin satin finish will wear in and wear through. If you want to keep your guitar looking new, gloss is the thing.

You really can't go wrong with any combination, but just a couple things to keep in mind there, depending on what you want.

I love my S2 22.

I chose mine over the 24 because of the neck pickup tone I prefer of the 22 fret over the 24. I am not a shredder by any means, but I have never ventured up there in the higher frets because they get uncomfortably narrower for me.

Satin or gloss... I am not sure if they have any effect on tone, but I preferred satin because I like seeing woodgrains. I also don't like leaving fingerprints and smudges on a glossy finish.

Please let us know what you picked! Good luck!

Last edited:
I have been playing since the late 70’s and can’t get comfortable with a 24 fret guitar. There are obvious others who feel differently. I own nothing but 22 fret S2 guitars and a SE. The satin vs gloss finish is not a big deal to me. But the neck on my satin finished guitar feels just a bit thinner. All of mine have the pattern regular neck. Both the satin and gloss finishes are thin, and both are delicate finishes compared to my only SE guitar. Great playing a feeling guitars. I do play my S2 satin the most though. It is the same model in the picture above. Mine came with 58/15s pickups and prefer 58/15s pickups over the 85/15s pickups that others come with.

Last edited:
A 24 fret guitar essentially puts the neck pickup a little closer to the bridge, so that pickup has a slightly clearer and more articulate sound vs a 22 fret.

That being said, I have a couple of S2 standards, 22 fret, and tone/articulation on the neck pickup has been great. Maybe if you were playing fusion or something where you wanted a very clear neck pickup sound, the 24 fret would be the way to go.

On the gloss vs satin question, when it comes to tone my experience is the satin finish is the winner. It's a barely there finish that won't deaden any vibrations, and it comes through. The gloss finish versions are by no means bad, either, but the satin finish can make a monster guitar. Just be prepared for it to relic, that thin satin finish will wear in and wear through. If you want to keep your guitar looking new, gloss is the thing.

You really can't go wrong with any combination, but just a couple things to keep in mind there, depending on what you want.
Thank you for the detailed comment. That really clarifies a lot of what was on my mind.

I love my S2 22.

I chose mine over the 24 because of the neck pickup tone I prefer of the 22 fret over the 24. I am not a shredder by any means, but I have never ventured up there in the higher frets because they get uncomfortably narrower for me.

Satin or gloss... I am not sure if they have any effect on tone, but I preferred satin because I like seeing woodgrains. I also don't like leaving fingerprints and smudges on a glossy finish.

Please let us know what you picked! Good luck!
What a beautiful instrument! It's seems like you upgraded the pickups. I think I'm leaning now more towards the 24 feet version in a gloss finish, but thanks for the insight.

I own a older Standard 24 in satin and a satin S2 Singlecut Standard. All hog with a satin finish is a great rock machine!

Regarding 24 frets vs 22 frets, compared to my DGT, the Standard 24 has easier upper fret access. I could live with either though, but the 24 makes playing certain solos easier. Don’t notice any difference in the cowboy chord area.

Neck pickup placement does change the sound a little. I don’t spend a lot of time on the neck pickup, but when I do I can get all of them to sound decent, but my amp setup is very bright. That gets rid of the muddiness on the 22 fretters.

I have been playing since the late 70’s and can’t get comfortable with a 24 fret guitar. There are obvious others who feel differently. I own nothing but 22 fret S2 guitars and a SE. The satin vs gloss finish is not a big deal to me. But the neck on my satin finished guitar feels just a bit thinner. All of mine have the pattern regular neck. Both the satin and gloss finishes are thin, and both are delicate finishes compared to my only SE guitar. Great playing a feeling guitars. I do play my S2 satin the most though. It is the same model in the picture above. Mine came with 58/15s pickups and prefer 58/15s pickups over the 85/15s pickups that others come with.
Thanks for the reply! Your guitar is beautiful. The comment about the neck is insightful. I'm checking out the specs on Sweetwater and the 22 fret version has a regular pattern neck, but the 24 fret version has a pattern thin neck. Not really into the thin version because I'm not into shred, but am more of a blues player. I'm thinking a 22 fret will be the one for me.

OP I own 2 Standard 22s...like mentioned ...I see the fretboard as a grid and the 22 frets work for me and I don't get confused...as far as satin vs gloss....I have 1 of each and while they sound different to me the satin neck feels great...also they're both around 7lbs....I also have a satin Vela....theyre wonderful guitars I think youre gonna love it...

I would go 22 fret satin every time. The satin finish is glorious (but it will relic easily) and the pattern regular neck is perfect (especially with the satin finish). If you like to keep your guitars looking new then get the gloss 22.

Thanks for the reply! Your guitar is beautiful. The comment about the neck is insightful. I'm checking out the specs on Sweetwater and the 22 fret version has a regular pattern neck, but the 24 fret version has a pattern thin neck. Not really into the thin version because I'm not into shred, but am more of a blues player. I'm thinking a 22 fret will be the one for me.
The guitar in the photo is actually for @littlebadboy who posted before me. I do have the same model in satin, but mine is red.

I own a mixture of both and I do prefer the 24 fret models if all else is equal. I find that's not really about having the 23rd and 24th frets as options but rather that frets 18 through 22 are also more comfortable to play on a 24 fret guitar from a purely ergonomic standpoint. The only tangible drawback that I can see is that the spacing between the pickups is reduced a bit which interferes with my picking on very rare occasion. Tonewise, impossible to tell for me as no there are other variables involved.

I'm looking to buy a PRS S2 Standard, but I'm torn between the 22 fret and 24 fret options. I've played a Fender strat for years and probably more comfortable with the 22 fret option, but I also feel like I'm missing out if I don't get those extra 2 frets. I've noticed that the 24 fret option has the pickups closer together. How would that affect the tone?

I'm also indecisive about the gloss and satin options. The gloss looks nicer, in my opinion, but would the finish affect the tone?

Would be great to get some advice before making my final decision.

Have lots of 24s, a few 22s. Having the extra 2 frets is fun. I wouldn't let that steer you away from a 22 if you otherwise find one you love.

The satin finish is fantastic for tone. It's not just a thickness thing either, it's the lack of grain filler as well. Opens up resonance and reduces weight. Not to say you can't get a good gloss one, but I've heard some dead sounding gloss ones, never heard a bad sounding satin. Also from a tactile sense, necks on satins feel better imo.

Edit: looks like in '23, 22s have pattern regular and 24s have pattern thin. That's a feel difference you'll have to evaluate. I love pattern regular and not a fan of thin, was very disappointed last year when they went all pattern thin on American made 24s. I guess I should thank them because it kept me from buying any made after '21, and will continue to do do.

Last edited:
i picked up an s2 standard 22 this summer and it’s quickly become my go-to. Gloss finish, but incredibly resonant. I generally prefer 22 frets. Access is not an issue.

As many know, we see some amazing examples of the finest guitars to be had. I am so fortunate to be part of his club. I have upset the bunch by another addition. One of my faves is “ Ole Black Betty “ A 2020 S2 Standard 24 Satin, tweaked, decked,Duncan “ Pearly Gates” , Pattern neck.

I have been so impressed with an all Hog guitar, that gives me soo much of what I want, I had to have another. . .

I do wanna say this is not necessarily about the difference between the Core models and the S2 models or SE. Its about, I just love the “platform.” I found this “beaut“, 2015, stock, thinner neck.

The black one is set up with 10s, the Gold is 9s. Really lowered the pups on the Gold, especially the neck, a bit “creamier” not quite as “bitey“. The setup lent a wonderful low action with a really soft, buzz free sound. PRS just does things right. I am stoked!!! Now I want to spend some time with this new Gold one. Of course, pics..

Last edited:
Back