PRS s2 Singlecut Standard Vs. PRS s2 Standard 22

Willem Granzin

I've been saving up for one of these guitars for a year now and I'm torn between them. There are things I like about both of them. I like the four knobs on the singlecut and that it has a better tuning stability, but I like the doublecut on the 22 and the whammy bar would be fun even though I don't know how much I will use it. I've heard them both and I like the sound of both. I like to play a lot of Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and some Beatles. I was wondering if any one had expirence with both and could share there opinion. Thanks.

Thank you all for the tips I probably will end up with both in the future.

Last edited:
You make a really good case for buying both. :)

Really, they are both excellent guitars, each has it's own strengths as you have pointed out. You will likely get both eventually, so just flip a coin, or pick the one you like the look of best, buy that one and then start saving up for the other one. :cool:

My pref is toward the S2 SC, because of the stability of the non-trem bridge. I just like stop tail bridges better, and have always gravitated towards these. Also, I prefer covered pickups, which the SC has, versus the S2 22 which has uncovered pickups.

What it comes down to is, what type of music would you play with your guitar?

If perhaps you need something where you'd use the trem bar regularly, or need uncovered louder-sounding pickups, the S2 22 is your choice. If perhaps you need something versatile that can cover a wide range of genres (rock, blues, jazz, fusion, R&B, funk, perhaps some crossover country), the S2 SC is better suited for that. The SC has different pickups than the 22, so be aware of that. The 22 can also cover the same genres, but your ears will tell you what will sound better. Time to listen to some YT clips of S2 SCs vs. S2 22s.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Yep, buy both! Just pick one for now, doesn't matter which. Save again, then buy the other! But if it was me, I will get the S2 Standard because it already has the whammy ready for you to learn on.

Here's my demo of the S2 Standard 22:

I had the SE Singlecut. I had it only for a week or two. Could not gel with it. Perhaps the S2 Singlecut would have been different. As the years goes by, I've learned that I don't care much with the tone control. I play metal. My other guitars has a tone bypass. I might put in a no load tone pot on my S2 to bypass its tone circuit too.

Welcome to the addiction!

The singlecut will have brighter pickups (7’s) so I think where you would hear the differences are maybe a little more bass fullness in the lows on the SC, but maybe a tad smoother on top on the doublecut. Those 7’s have a real snarl to them, which I like in the neck but was a little too aggressive in the bridge, for me, in a solid body. I like having the 4 knob on the SC, don’t forget that also gets you individual coil taps. The doublecut will have better upper fret access. Don’t sweat tubing stability if you don’t use the bar much, either will hold very well unless you abuse the trem.

Yep, buy both! Just pick one for now, doesn't matter which. Save again, then buy the other! But if it was me, I will get the S2 Standard because it already has the whammy ready for you to learn on.

I had the SE Singlecut. I had it only for a week or two. Could not gel with it. Perhaps the S2 Singlecut would have been different. As the years goes by, I've learned that I don't care much with the tone control. I play metal. My other guitars has a tone bypass. I might put in a no load tone pot on my S2 to bypass its tone circuit too.

Exactly what I will be doing!

Just got my doublecut yesterday, and I'm already planning to buy the s2 singlecut

I have both, sort of. I have the S2 Standard 24 instead of the 22 and the S2 Singlecut. Tuning stability is very good on the Standard. Mine stays in tune just as good as my Singlecut. For your style of music, perhaps the Singlecut would be best. If you are looking for more of a vintage LP sound then I would go for the SE 245. I think it comes closer to nailing that tone better than the Singlecut. The Singlecut is a very comfy guitar to play and the feel is excellent. The downside is that it does not pull off that vintage LP tone very well. For more modern higher gain stuff the Singlecut is great. I would sum up both guitars like this: The Standard is a strat slayer and more. The Singlecut is a wanna be LP that doesn't quite cut it, good but just not there.

Thanks, the video is awesome. I subbed to you.

My pref is toward the S2 SC, because of the stability of the non-trem bridge. I just like stop tail bridges better, and have always gravitated towards these. Also, I prefer covered pickups, which the SC has, versus the S2 22 which has uncovered pickups.

What it comes down to is, what type of music would you play with your guitar?

If perhaps you need something where you'd use the trem bar regularly, or need uncovered louder-sounding pickups, the S2 22 is your choice. If perhaps you need something versatile that can cover a wide range of genres (rock, blues, jazz, fusion, R&B, funk, perhaps some crossover country), the S2 SC is better suited for that. The SC has different pickups than the 22, so be aware of that. The 22 can also cover the same genres, but your ears will tell you what will sound better. Time to listen to some YT clips of S2 SCs vs. S2 22s.

Welcome to the forum!

I play some jazz to.

Back