PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

As a fellow PRS fan based in the UK, I too was disappointed with the UK prices. Whether its the UK tax system or PRS responsible for the upcharge, I would rather save the extra for a 'proper' Custom 24.

From what I've seen, the tops on the S2 don't look great (both the figuring and the carve) and I'm not thrilled that for £600 more than the SE model, you still get the SE trem/bridge. Some of the other upgrades like nut and tuners, equivalent quality can be had fairly cheaply.

The good news for PRS however is that I will be making a purchase from them, it just might take longer for me to raise the money for the core model.

Finally, I love the Mira, but again I think they are overpriced here in the UK. I will get one eventually, but I'll wait for them to hit the used market where they will be better value.

Last edited:
PRS doesn't purchase dimensioned lumber. They purchase lumber in the rough and dimension it at the factory. If you have never seen a PRS neck blank, it looks like it is ten to twelve quarters of an inch thick. PRS should be able to get two necks out the same blank using S2 construction. That's a major savings because it produces twice as much product from roughly the same amount of lumber. It also allows PRS to fit twice as many neck blanks in their drying rooms.

If Core line knobs fit the S2 pots, then they are U.S. spec parts because the Core line pots have 24-spline shafts. Garden-variety Asian pots have 18-spline shafts.

With respect to the S2 pickups, a reliable source within PRS has confirmed that Paul was directly involved in their design. All of the engineering samples were tested by Paul in the PTC.

The same source also confirmed that the machine heads (a.k.a. tuners) are basically a modified Phase II design. The major difference between the old Core Phase IIs and the S2 machine heads is that the S2 machine heads use anti-rotation pins instead screws. If this design is anything like the Sperzel design, the anti-rotation pin is under the worm/gear housing.

I personally believe that PRS is not using the pre-V12 finish on these guitars. I believe that they are using a modern high-tech equivalent of the old finish. Anyone who is curious enough to do a little research will discover that the distribution arm of a UV curing equipment manufacturer has posted a comment made by Matt Eriza on its web site (see Matt's comment on this page: http://www.cureuv.com/total-cure-uv-guitar-finishing-cabinet.html). Switching to a UV-cure finishing system will significantly reduce the amount of calendar time that it takes to finish a guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one else will admit it so I will. I like the idea of the S2 since the only reason I haven't bought an SE is because I'm a half-hearted racist. And I mean half-hearted in that I love the people and their food but I don't want their guitars or cars, due to no logical reasoning whatsoever. Problem solved.

I'm in the UK and I have to say that I'm pleased to see that PRS is keeping production in Maryland and creating jobs. I'm tired of seeing absolutely everything made in the Far East, especially China. If only more companies here would do the same, things might start to improve, but as long as the bottom line and the share price are all that anyone in charge seems to care about, it looks like we're going to see no improvement over here. I'd rather pay more for everything than see "Made in China" stamped on everything I own.

PRS are expensive guitars. They always have been. To make them cheaper they obviously had to change production methods and materials. What else could they have done? Have them made overseas, of course. Most other companies wouldn't have hesitated. They could have brought in consultants, whom they'd have had to paid handsomely to tell them that labour costs were too high and they could get the same product made in a province of China for next to nothing, with increased profits and a lower selling price. The shareholders would have been happy, the customers would have been happy - for the most part at least and those who didn't like the change would just have to accept it when the whole operation was set up in China.

The neck has a scarf joint. It's still mahogany and I'll bet it comes from a much better source than the mahogany used in the SE line. Anyone remember the controversy surrounding the Indonesian mahogany they admitted was being used in the early days? They've obviously saved a lot of time on simple things like being able to assemble all the electronics on the pickguard and having tuners that just drop into place without the need for screws. I bet the costs of a running a CNC machine in Maryland and Korea aren't too different anyway.

I hope they're a huge success and think that PRS should be proud of the new line. They might not sell in huge numbers here but I'd say that's because the used market is pretty well supplied with PRS instruments, which might tempt those with that kind of money much more than the new line.

To put the UK price in context, the 20% sales tax accounts for a large part of the difference. Also, in the UK you can only ever count on 5-10% discount. That's just the way things are and always have been. But the new line is the same price the CE line was over 20 years ago. And the CE line was kind of the same idea back in those days - an attempt to bring an American-made PRS to the masses. The Mira X was another. It was a great guitar that got overlooked. I'm sure the S2 will do much better. It's always interesting to see what Paul and the team are up to.

Okay, here goes.
The rep brought in 3 guitars to the local guitar shop Monday. Custom, Mira and Starla. For the purposes of this post, I'm focusing on the Custom. I took some photos with my phone, with permission of the rep, in order to attempt to show some closeups. Please forgive the poor photo quality and my shaky hands.

My general impressions of the guitar were very good. I will break down specifics with the pictures, but the build quality was top notch. Felt great in your hands, and is a step above the SE line. You can tell the difference. You can also however, tell the difference between the feel of the S2 and the core custom 24. I can't exactly quantify how, but it could have just been the setup. Build quality was excellent. It represents it's price point very well, and is IMO, exactly what it is represented to be.

To my ear, it was very difficult for me to tell the difference between the S2 pickups tone vs. a standard set of HFS and Vintage Bass pickups. Now, on with the show:

Here is a pic of the front of the guitar. Clearly, the figuring is not up to the level of a core line PRS. That's probably what they mean by using wood that is easier to source and not as expensive. It has ok figuring, but clearly nothing that they would use on a core guitar.

Another Angle:

Here's a shot of the maple cap. Seems to be a good slab, nice thickness:

Here is the neck joint. Very nice, clean work:

Here is a picture of the back of the guitar. Here's a major difference. You can see in the photo the cavity covers are not countersunk, they are surface mounted. Not a huge deal, but it seems like it wouldn't cost any more to add the countersink program into the CNC machine. Oh well:

Steel sustain block, not Brass, but we all knew that going in:

Very clean inlay work. The birds are straight ivory colored. No Mother of Pearl, but at least you get the birds:

Perhaps the biggest weakness in the guitar, as I see it anyway, is the SE trem. the bridge saddles are clearly not as nice as the core lineup stuff, but they are straight up about it on the website, and they have to save money somewhere. I guess you could always upgrade:

Here's a shot of the back of the headstock. Handwritten serial number American Style! I looked as hard as I could, and I couldn't see the scarf joint anywhere on the neck. The rep showed me where it was, but I still couldn't see it. Very impressed:

And finally, the much debated "S2 locking tuners". Honestly, they are very high quality locking tuners. I don't see any reason whatsoever to upgrade:

The finish on the guitar was excellent, but not quite as nice as the core line stuff. You could tell there is a different finishing process.

Bottom line, great guitar for the money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics nobozos!

While as you say, it's not "core" quality, that looks fuggin' hot.

I'll give John Mann a shout for an NOS trem should I buy one (tho i'll be honest and say i'm holding out for an S2 305 since i've a Mira and cu24 and despise bigsbys).

If the starla had the option of a stoptail, i'd defo be more interested, but they'll only offer one version for ease and I get that, it's still business after all!

Sometimes a less pretty top is a good thing. Means I look at the guitar rather than being distracted by boat wake....... :)

If the starla had the option of a stoptail, i'd defo be more interested, but they'll only offer one version for ease and I get that, it's still business after all!

I believe the Starla does come with a stop-tail option. Maybe not though. I'm probably thinking of the Starla and not the S2 Starla.

Last edited:
It looks like the body is not thick enough to recess the trem cover without shortening the sustain block. The top has as much figure as the average "real deal" vintage '59 Les Paul Standard.

Thanks for posting the pics. I am certainly looking forward to giving the Mira and the Custom 24 a long hard look and try. I'm looking for a guitar to complement my SE Santana and SG, and there just may be one of those two models in my collection in the near term! Sure will be fun to try them!!!

Cheers!

D.

It looks like the body is not thick enough to recess the trem cover without shortening the sustain block. The top has as much figure as the average "real deal" vintage '59 Les Paul Standard.

Good eye!

It's clearly a very nice production guitar. Makes me appreciate how special the Core line is even more.

Crazy that the cavity covers aren't countersunk. Even the SEs have one properly done.

Glad to see racism alive and well and people still avoiding Asian made products that are made there by AMERICAN COMPANIES. I just don't get it sometimes.
And..10-12 quarter inches? Really?

Hey I really do hate to come here to complain..and if anyone says stuff they shouldn't, it's me..but there are some things even I wouldn't admit to and calling 2-1/2" to 3" ten to twelve quarter inches is one of them lol.

Anyway...I guess the S2s are nice enough. For me though it's still the core and SEs all the way. Maybe when some other S2 models start surfacing I'll change my tune but for now...yeah.

I've requested that my local shop notify me as soon as they get an S2 Mira in stock - if all goes well when I play it (unless it's Seafoam Green!), it'll be going home with me that day! Hopefully they get either a McCarty Burst, Sienna, or Cherry in.

Glad to see racism alive and well and people still avoiding Asian made products that are made there by AMERICAN COMPANIES. I just don't get it sometimes.

SEs are not built by an American Company that employs Asians. World Musical Instruments is a KOREAN company that is licensed to manufacturer a budget guitar line that bears an American label. There are many guitarists with limited funds who would like to purchase a PRS guitar that is actually built by PRS. The S2s are PRS' response to that demand.

And..10-12 quarter inches? Really?

Hey I really do hate to come here to complain..and if anyone says stuff they shouldn't, it's me..but there are some things even I wouldn't admit to and calling 2-1/2" to 3" ten to twelve quarter inches is one of them lol.

Hardwood lumber is sold in quarters of an inch in the United States. For example, 2" thick lumber is sold as 8/4 lumber; therefore, 2.5" to 3" thick lumber is referred to as ten to twelve quarter lumber.

Hearne Hardwoods' Price List: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html
Advantage Lumber's Price List: http://www.advantagelumber.com/domestic.htm

Back