PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

Oh, c'mon....... REALLY??
The used woods are better, the nut is the same as in the core PRS's, it has phase 2 locking tuners, maple top, better electronics... whatelse do you want for the price?
The only common component is the bridge. And that's not even a real problem with the SE line - the nut and tuners are.

On a quick note: I'm finding curious that people are liking the looks of the Semi-Hollows more than the Solid Bodies... I just don't get it... put a hole in it (no sexual pun intended!! eheh ;) ) and it's "glorious", "beautiful", "well done PRS", bla bla bla... (I'm not referring to the sonic characteristics, only the looks of the guitars).
Without the"F" hole, it's "ugly", "the bevelled top sucks", and so on...

Talk about tough crowd!

Last edited:
Does anyone know for sure if some of these S2's, like the S2 Custom 22 and S2 Singlecut, have "solid" flamed maple caps on the mahogany bodies? Or do they have plain maple caps with a flamed maple veneer like a lot of SE's?

A solid flamed maple cap would be very beautiful and is something that I could definitely dig compared to the veneer. The veneer ones that I have are indeed beautiful, but I would like to have a real flamed maple slab on the top, much more.

I'm definitely considering getting an S2 Custom 22, with the nickel covered pickups which I also find attractive compared to many guitars with open coils. It seems like some guitars just look better with open coil pickups than others, to my eye.

Feedback appreciated.

When I took the S2 factory tour at 2013 PRS Experience, they said the S2's have solid maple tops with less figure than the core line. They do not have maple veneer.

When I took the S2 factory tour at 2013 PRS Experience, they said the S2's have solid maple tops with less figure than the core line. They do not have maple veneer.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a solid maple cap, especially in flamed maple.

I have a guitar with a solid maple cap, a plain top, no veneer, and I very much dig it, so I look forward to getting a flamed maple solid cap S2. I also find the solid plain top very aesthetically pleasing, just different from what a solid flamed maple cap might be.

The solid flamed maple cap is a feature that is drawing me toward purchasing an S2. I just dig the solid vs. veneer idea. The whole idea and vibe of the solid maple cap with no veneer I find alluring. While the veneer tops on two of my SE's are beautiful, they don't make the same impression on "me" as the S2 solid wood tops, or even solid body guitars.

I attribute this in part to the fact that I'm a hippie type person, and based on my personal experiences I dig the vibe of solid wood things more than those with quite different veneer coverings. I'm sure this goes back to the old days when I opened my eyes and saw all the plastic and phony things around me - including a lot of people. The phony stuff stood out, unmistakenly. So you will have to excuse me for my interest in the solid flame tops, if you can't seem to understand my concern. I'm cool with you if you see it differently. To each their own.

I already have plans to purchase an S2 in the near future. I have a high level of confidence that I will dig the guitar and find that it has a lot of mojo which I will be able to appreciate.

Also for some of the dudes that live in other countries that were questioning the value of the "Made in USA" label, that made in the US identifier is something that I personally can appreciate and am willing to pay for, especially if the QC is of superior quality as is the case with PRS. Don't forget, people all over the World crave for many US made products and many guitar players would love to own a US made guitar, despite the barriers; they appreciate US made guitars for their own reasons - headstock label, perceived quality, status, self-fulfillment, mojo, coefficient of cool, etc. The S2 line of guitars will satisfy more than many of these people that are foreign to the US. I'm sure they are doing it already. Let us know how they are being accepted by those that have purchased them.

Also, is it really cheaper to manufacture in Korea? With modern mfg. tech. the game has changed. Additionally, having the production plant right here in the US allows the mfg (PRS) to have tremendously more control and day-to-day input and supervision of production. The language barrier is all but eliminated and efficiency is boosted. Transcontinental shipping costs are also majorly eliminated. All of these things could actually result in it being "less costly" to produce the S2 right here in the US, while creating good jobs for Americans at the same time. Jobs for people just like us. I would also say that some of the World's best maple comes from the Great American Northern Hardwood Forest, and is found in abundance at very sustainable levels.

Last edited:
Hey guys!!

Have you noticed the NEW colours that will be available for the S2 models?!
At Sweetwater we now have available for pre-order:
Tri-color Sunburst, Elephant Grey, Scarlet Red, Whale Blue and Violin Amber Sunburst.

This is the Violin Amber Sunburst
S2CU22VAS-xlarge_zpsafdbb4e1.jpg

Ordered my first PRS guitar yesterday. :beer: After several months research I decided on the new S2 Mira semi-hollow body with the vintage cherry finish and bird inlay. My options were somewhat limited because I wanted a fixed hard-tail bridge. That meant either the Singlecut or the Mira. Singlecuts look great but they are heavier. So my choice came down to the Mira and the semi-hollow body. Sweetwater had one that only weighed 6lbs 6 ozs. A big improvement over the 8 lb solid body Singlecuts they have in stock. My neck and back will really appreciate the difference. I guess I'm old school, but I prefer guitars with pick guards. I'm glad the Mira comes with one.

I wanted to ask about the strap posts. Do the PRS S2's come with the Schaller strap lock posts? My Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex Strat came with Schallers pre-installed and I really like them. I'm hoping the PRS Mira has them too. I could get my local guitar shop to install Schallers if needed. I rather not modify a new guitar but thats better than risk having it hit the floor.

Really looking forward to getting my S2 Mira and get it plugged into my Fender Blues Jr. amp. It'll be at least a week before it comes in. The will be my first semi-hollow body guitar. I've seen the reviews and people have commented how much it improves the sound. I play vintage 70's soft rock and country. Nothing real loud. Feedback shouldn't be an issue for me.

Last edited:
Great choice! I nabbed one the first seafoam that popped up, it's 6.1 lbs, whatever that is in lbs/oz.

No PRS comes with Schaller strap locks as far as I know, but the good thing is you can use the original screw. It's as simple as removing the screw, putting it in the strap lock and putting the screw back in. I can't tell you the exact torque figure but I usually go one click of the elbow.

Post up a NGD thread when it arrives and give us your thoughts!

Ok, I'll post pics in that other thread after it comes in. I didn't realize the Schallers were so simple to install. Thanks! I'll switch out those strap posts myself.

CroceFan, I run the Schaller Strap Locks on all of my guitars.
Like Justmund said it is very easy to install them.
Takes less than 5 minutes to do both.

Sometimes you can use the stock screws, sometimes you cannot.
The screw head must be recessed into the top of the Schaller button, as if it sticks up a tad, the system will not allow you to use the piece on the strap.
Then you have to use the Schaller screws instead.

Also something I noticed with my new SE Kingfisher bass I just got, the stock screws will not unscrew from the strap button, they are like part of it, and I had to use the short black Schaller screw which is thinner, so I used a short piece of a round toothpick in the hole to make the screw grip.

Congratulations on the guitar too, I may end up with the semi-hollow singlecut one day.
Played one last week and liked it.

Oh, c'mon....... REALLY??
The used woods are better, the nut is the same as in the core PRS's, it has phase 2 locking tuners, maple top, better electronics... whatelse do you want for the price?
The only common component is the bridge. And that's not even a real problem with the SE line - the nut and tuners are.

On a quick note: I'm finding curious that people are liking the looks of the Semi-Hollows more than the Solid Bodies... I just don't get it... put a hole in it (no sexual pun intended!! eheh ;) ) and it's "glorious", "beautiful", "well done PRS", bla bla bla... (I'm not referring to the sonic characteristics, only the looks of the guitars).
Without the"F" hole, it's "ugly", "the bevelled top sucks", and so on...

Talk about tough crowd!

actually the bridge is not the same. my boys SE is chrome plated and fairly sure cast piece not even sure if aluminum. my S2 singlecut is a MACHINED piece of aluminum that is just polished. no plating at all. plus it has brass screws and inserts .

Good to know.
I assumed it was the same because in one of the videos of the factory tour (if I recall) the guide says it's the same as the SE's.

The vibrato bridge is the same on S2 and SE.

The stoptail is different. The SE is chromed aluminum with chromed brass posts. I think they're fine bridges. Weight is within a few grams of an old core stoptail I have.

The only fail in all of this is the use of the SE trem on the S2 Custom. Other than that, this appears to be a win. Does anyone know if the regular trem is a direct replacement for the SE trem? I just can't see the logic I guess. Even with the better trem and a +200 or so on the price tag, it would still be way below the price of the core line custom and still puts it in reach of many who can't afford core line.

US trems will fit both SE and S2 guitars ...

Last edited:
Hey guys!!

Have you noticed the NEW colours that will be available for the S2 models?!
At Sweetwater we now have available for pre-order:
Tri-color Sunburst, Elephant Grey, Scarlet Red, Whale Blue and Violin Amber Sunburst.
Whale blue or Scarlet Red semi-hollow S2 CU22 or SC is going to be very tempting!

Found a picture of the S2 Custom 24 in whale blue on Sweetwater's site.

That is just plain awesomeness. I was ready to order a black one but I am now wondering if I should not wait for the blue to be available. And that violin amber is My Oh My as well. Thanks for sharing!

I took the day off yesterday and finally went up to GC to try these out. We know that GC is only going to be selling USA PRSi in Platinum dealers and luckily the Phoenix location has that designation. Their stock of PRSi consisted of five Custom 24s, five S2 Custom 24s and a handful of SEs. I guess they felt variety was about color choice. I really wanted to try the S2 Mira. Actually there are lots of models I would like to try, but the Custom 24 has never been high on my list.

Regardless, it was great to finally get my hands on a S2. The neck shape was instantly familiar to me. It felt very much like the Grissom I played earlier this year, which is to say, beefier than the Regular neck on my 07 Mira, but the same, slightly smaller nut width so it feels just a tad different from a Wide-Fat. It was instantly comfortable and familiar. They were also very consistently carved and felt identical one guitar to the next.

One of them was $200 more than the others and had squabbin 57/08s, selling as new so I assume this was a factory model? Either that or the GC made that mod themselves. That one was more vintagey sounding on the bridge and a bit brighter and clearer on the neck, but not astronomically so. Of course, this was on the sales floor playing through an amp I'm not familiar with, at low volumes. The only way I truly know how something sounds is through my own rig at band practice. Overall, they were once again very consistent in tone across the 4 that had the S2 HFS/VB pickups. Those four all sounded pretty dang good to me.

Overall I was pretty impressed. The build quality was right there with my core PRSi and they felt like great guitars. Having owned several USA and SE models, these are much more leaning toward the USA models. They are several notches above the SE series in tone, feel and vibe.

(Just so I don't get accused of being too much of a fanboy, I didn't like the plastic bird inlays. )

(Just so I don't get accused of being too much of a fanboy, I didn't like the plastic bird inlays. )

Great review and I pretty much agree with your assessment including the plastic "dead" birds!

Back